New F-150, Silverado, or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our 4-door there are storage bins in the floor of the rear, which I find useful for rope, ratchet straps, locks...etc. Tarp underneath the rear seat along with the trailer hitch assembly. Rear seats flip up against the back of the cab, so you have a ton of room behind the front seats.

[Linked Image]

Also, in the case vs the SUV, with the 6' 4" bed, I can fit my 4-wheeler, which I certainly can't do without a trailer with an SUV.

Guess I will never understand why anyone feels the need to question someone else's choice of a setup. I didn't buy the truck for your use, so why should it matter.

Clearly the market has spoken as to which is the more common truck sold these days. They both serve a need.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Guess I will never understand why anyone feels the need to question someone else's choice of a setup. I didn't buy the truck for your use, so why should it matter.

Clearly the market has spoken as to which is the more common truck sold these days. They both serve a need.

Got it … I decided to buy a 2018 Z71 SWB Regular Cab 4WD while they still make them. Live in a huge market and still had to drive 140 miles to find one … pretty average deal. So now people question my judgement.
Love the truck … all that matters …

Originally Posted by 4WD

At the end of the day, exactly! I'm guessing I love my truck same as you do! We all win!

Originally Posted by atikovi
Let me think...Over the last 2 years I've had a 2016 Ram RC 8' bed, 2013 F150 RC 8' bed and a '98 Ranger RC long bed. And just as easily as you can haul stuff hanging over the bed of a pickup, you can haul with the rear tailgate of an SUV open. I did have a 2007 F150 crew cab short bed years ago but found it pretty useless for hauling larger loads in one trip. Just see how many contractors or tradesman use the 5.5' bed trucks in their business to tell how useful they. I do see a lot of those on the weekends at the Home Depot by soccer moms doing a mulch run.

I think you just inadvertently made the wrong point. Not everyone is a contractor. Most people just have a truck to do projects around their house like picking up some lumber, or "doing a mulch run" on the weekends. A crew cab pickup lets them do that, and still drop the kids off at school during the week in comfort.

Not really but I understand that, just believe you should get the correct tool for every job, baring financial restraints. I mean, you wouldn't keep just a crescent wrench in your tool box for removing nuts and bolts. You would also have socket sets, box end wrenches, open end wrenches, etc. The correct tool for every job. A multitool is a compromise. A 5.5' bed truck is a compromise. An 8' bed would better haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x4s, an SUV would better haul a lot of people. Why not consider a full size van? It can have 3 rows of seats plus a ton of enclosed cargo space behind that?

Not really but I understand that, just believe you should get the correct tool for every job, baring financial restraints. I mean, you wouldn't keep just a crescent wrench in your tool box for removing nuts and bolts. You would also have socket sets, box end wrenches, open end wrenches, etc. The correct tool for every job. A multitool is a compromise. A 5.5' bed truck is a compromise. An 8' bed would better haul 4x8 sheets of plywood and 2x4s, an SUV would better haul a lot of people. Why not consider a full size van? It can have 3 rows of seats plus a ton of enclosed cargo space behind that?

You make a great point there. I'm a huge fan of vans. Unfortunately, most people think they're "not cool".

For me a cargo trailer is a bit of a pain to back into my driveway--I've done it, but it's always a bit of work. Plus that assumes I have a place to put it.

My 6.5' bed has hauled 8' long stuff, no problem. Is nice to put smelly trash outside of the passenger compartment for dump runs. Trash, or yard waste, whatever. Not perfect, as this winter I was moving stuff, filled up the 6x14 trailer, filled the truck and still was out of space--another foot would have been nice in the truck, but no way I'm buying a 4 door truck with an 8' bed. Need all of Texas to turn one of those around!

Do they even sell full size vans anymore? Not sure how well they do in snow (friends had one and they said it was hands down awful in snow, but they weren't the types to use snow tires either). I've always heard about how hard they are to work on, and that's been the end of it to me.

If one leaps from a 5.5 foot truck bed as being a compromise to a Full Size van being the answer to not being a compromise, I'm not sure its worth discussing any further... And again, the market sure seems to be singing a different tune...

Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

Originally Posted by glock19

You make a great point there. I'm a huge fan of vans. Unfortunately, most people think they're "not cool".

You wouldn't consider a full size van-because you would have to drive a full size van........one of the most unattractive (appearance wise) vehicles on the market for personal use......

Who cares about attractive, does it get the job done? [So says the guy driving a 20 year old Camry and who still uses a pocket protector.]

Having thousands of hours the last two years of drive time behind all 3 in 2016 models or later is this. GM's trucks from 2016-18 are solid the 19 looks like garbage but despite the power ratings if your towing the 5.3 GM trucks will over take the Ram and Tundra. The current Ram has the best interior but the drive train is dated. The F150 is by far the quickest and it's comfortable but compared to GM and Ram it's interior is equivalent to bake light plastic.

After much thought and research, and being fulling aware there are trade offs in everything, I am now the proud owner of a brand new RAM!

Thank you all for your input. Great discussion.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by MNgopher

Got it … I decided to buy a 2018 Z71 SWB Regular Cab 4WD while they still make them. Live in a huge market and still had to drive 140 miles to find one … pretty average deal. So now people question my judgement.

There you go. Your happiness is what matters with vehicles. The ones complaining about buying a pickup are the ones who will drive a 1/4 mile rather then use their 2 legs and feet.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
After much thought and research, and being fulling aware there are trade offs in everything, I am now the proud owner of a brand new RAM!

Thank you all for your input. Great discussion.

Cool hope you have many hours of happiness enjoying your new truck. Double check the recall work if applicable was addressed. Often dealerships will not preform the work while it's sitting on the lot before purchase.

Originally Posted by dave1251

Cool hope you have many hours of happiness enjoying your new truck. Double check the recall work if applicable was addressed. Often dealerships will not preform the work while it's sitting on the lot before purchase.

They did check, without me even asking. They told me it needed a computer re-flash, but that was all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back