KYB Struts from Rock Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ordered a lot of parts from Rock Auto and am quite happy with their service and price, especially, with their skill in getting parts into Canada without any hassle or duty. I decided to see how they do with larger parts. I ordered four KYB Strut Plus assemblies for my 2005 Ford Taurus. I've heard of nightmares with other suppliers in regards to how they ship struts, but I want to show you the excellent job Rock Auto did with these. Enjoy.

A8FE04A3-6C08-472E-8DD9-5ECD7265E7D5.jpeg

76FC3390-BF8A-47DC-B7B1-DF8E4A0C083A.jpeg

23244CB2-CD04-49D9-A14B-E97EEF06D475.jpeg

C21B91FE-7133-4DF2-9DFD-0A46115160C9.jpeg

D42C81F4-0EB9-4330-A1F4-A3106FCCC4EA.jpeg

1448D0C4-647D-426E-8C99-52226C4A7375.jpeg

1959AC8C-C381-40D5-8402-671752E858F0.jpeg

Last edited:
about a decade installing kyb struts and shocks on friends cars as well as mine,,,, if there is something bad to say its stiffness at the beginning, however,,,,if its for offroading, Blisteing is a no brainer.

Last edited:
They put multiple struts in the same box?
crazy2.gif

Most places ship quick struts individually, in their own box, only using the box it came with, because a single quick strut can weigh 25 lb Was there any kind of protection inside each individual strut box? Any packing peanuts, air pillows, foam, etc? The blame mostly belongs on the manufacturers

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Quick struts?!

You had one job......

There's a lot of love/hate with quick struts in general. When I was on the Taurus forums, some loved the Monroes, others hated them. Same with KYB. I think Moog started making them a few years ago. But it seems like the luck of the draw, sometimes you get good ones, sometimes bad ones. At least the KYB's like Monroe have lifetime warranties.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
There's a lot of love/hate with quick struts in general. When I was on the Taurus forums, some loved the Monroes, others hated them. Same with KYB. I think Moog started making them a few years ago. But it seems like the luck of the draw, sometimes you get good ones, sometimes bad ones. At least the KYB's like Monroe have lifetime warranties.
On an old car that has original struts and springs, they are much better than just tossing new shocks on the old springs and mounts. You're probably not carving corners or paying the premium for OEM quality suspension with a fifteen year old American FWD sedan.

I think quickies suck because I can compress the springs on my Jetta by hand and external spring compressors are not dangerous at all. Removal and installation is the hard part, assembly is easy peasy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Quick struts?!

You had one job......

Quick struts are awesome
smile.gif

Actually, since the OP has a Taurus, know that Ford now offers Motorcraft quick struts for that car. Rock Auto has them priced about 15% more than KYB. Part numbers are:
ASTL1 front right
ASTL2 front left
ASTL3 rear (both sides are the same in the rear)

Motorcraft quick struts are easily the best choice for any Ford they're available for. They contain 98% OE components, including OE springs and struts. Supposedly, almost all aftermarket springs are generic, whether they are part of a quick strut or purchased separately. So to have quick struts with actual OE springs is a huge plus!

Meh, they didn't do it wrong topics seem like "well yeah what's new about that" to me.

Motorcraft quick struts, heck no, a colossal waste of money. Ford does not make struts. They do not make springs. Paying them to combine the two then add the middleman markup, when you don't even know if it's coming from the same factory that made the originals, is just paying the highest ante possible to gamble.

Quick struts? Do it if you have already replaced the struts once already so you have original spring sag. Don't do it merely because you are afraid of using a spring compressor tool which is a free loaner from the top two or three auto parts stores. Using a spring compressor is not hard, and not dangerous if you have enough attention span to have read this post.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
They put multiple struts in the same box?
crazy2.gif

The pictures clearly show two struts, each individually boxed from the manufacturer, packed in an additional box by RA, with air pillows in between the KYB boxes.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Most places ship quick struts individually, in their own box, only using the box it came with, because a single quick strut can weigh 25 lb Was there any kind of protection inside each individual strut box? Any packing peanuts, air pillows, foam, etc? The blame mostly belongs on the manufacturers

How do you think KYB ships them to the RA warehouse?
Certainly not as if they're the Queen's jewels....

I've received KYBs from RA in this same manner.
They were undamaged, unscathed and it was completely reasonable way to receive the product.

Originally Posted by Donald
The important question is what refrigerator magnet did they send you with the struts?

Here they are. They were tucked in with the shipping docs on each box.

50F74A33-5E9E-4F56-8764-E188DBC3B591.jpeg

Hey, I have the 127 Fiero magnet.

I put 4 KYB quick struts on the Grand Prix: the original rears were sagging badly when I bought it. They ride a little high, but not ridiculously so, and soak up potholes, railroad tracks, speed bumps etc. with equal abandon. I think the problem with ride height is that they use the same springs for cars of varying weights that use the same struts, erring toward the heavier models so they don't sag new.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Do they permanently raise the height of your car? Let me know Please!

I have KYB quick struts on the rear of my 1997 Taurus and KYB struts (non quick strut) on the front. The quick struts on the rear fix the saggy rear end that a lot of Taurus' develop. They have been on for 3 years and the ride height is still at the factory height with no noticeable sag. The ride from the KYB is slightly firmer but I think it improves handling.

Wow! I ordered KYBs from Amazon and they were literally loose in the big box with no padding or bubble wrap. Let alone they didnt even come in kyb boxes...it was so bad, i was worried they were used or something. Amazon refunded me, I installed them 5 years ago and are still working fine. Rock Auto did good!

Last edited:
I purchased the cheapest generic quick struts for an older Town & Country minivan.
Too low a price to believe from Rock Auto. They were perfect. Rode like new; and did I say they were very very cheap. There you have it.

My KYB shocks rotted out in another vehicle.

Last edited:
I ordered a complete H-pipe with 4 cats for my Mustang from RA, and they literally slapped a FedEx label on the pipe with no packaging whatsoever. It survived and is working fine, but I was not impressed with the lack of packaging and neither was the FedEx driver who delivered it.

Oh, and there was a RA sticker taped to the pipe, too
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back