Maxlife Synthetic or PPHM 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon fellow oil nerds
wink.gif

Friend is coming over in bit for a oil change. 08' Chevy Tahoe, 5.3 v-8 with around 209k on it. He does mainly highway miles. Asked me which one I'd pick. I said " close your eyes and pick one"

After seeing Aquariuscsm's UOA of PPHM 10w30 I hope friend gets it.

I'll post what filter was on it later

Thank You folks in advance

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Adam you gave him the right answer. Unless one was on sale LOL

Well, me being so so on SOPUS stuff; I told him PPHM if he gets it can go online for the $10 rebate. Maxlife has no rebates

Originally Posted by dave1251
I have both PHM and PPHM in my vehicles now either will be good for your friends 5.3. Maxlife is just as good.

He brought over PPHM 10w30. AC DELCO "Professional" E-CORE 48 was on vehicle. Posting c&p of filter soon

Either is fine. I'd go maxlife full syn just because it isn't a SOPUS brand.

Originally Posted by BLND1

Well if you're going all in on baseless claims, just go pick up some API SA oil. Either of the topic oils is perfectly fine for the OP's friend's Tahoe.

If thicker matters to him then get the Valvoline Synpower with Maxlife Technology. It is thicker than regular Valvoline Synpower while Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage os thinner than regular Pennzoil Platinum.

I think both are great and would let price be the deciding factor.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
thicker matters

Some of the discussions lately have been looking at the fact that KV100 may not be the best way to evaluate wear protection, deferring to HTHS. Valvoline supplies HTHS but their 10W30 is quite low; Pennzoil doesn't publish HTHS unfortunately. The only references I found show Terry Dyson will do the test for $230. Also, the differences you mention are extremely small, 0.2 mm^2/s. They're likely extremely close oils outside of the add packs.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Well if you're going all in on baseless claims, just go pick up some API SA oil. Either of the topic oils is perfectly fine for the OP's friend's Tahoe.

Total fail.

No claims made, and you must have missed the first three words of my post - so I'll help you out - "either is fine." By that I mean either of the topic oils are fine for OP. Which, incidentally is what YOU also said.

Don't be a SOPUS homer. We're all allowed to have preferences, sport.

Total fail.

No claims made, and you must have missed the first three words of my post - so I'll help you out - "either is fine." By that I mean either of the topic oils are fine for OP. Which, incidentally is what YOU also said.

All right guys, let's cool off now. PPHM is going in my Camry next also. Nothing against Valvoline, SOPUS offers rebates that are at times pain in rear to get. BUT, Valvoline rarely offers them

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Total fail.

All right guys, let's cool off now. PPHM is going in my Camry next also. Nothing against Valvoline, SOPUS offers rebates that are at times pain in rear to get. BUT, Valvoline rarely offers them

True Adam. But SOPUS is 1 for 3 in the rebates while Valvoline is 1 applied for and one received. Both products are good and I've used them both for years. Its just one is a lot more ethical than the other.

Total fail.

You don't speak in the personal Preferences Definition.
You speak in the personal Banned definition.

...in other words, kindly/please stop the BS.

I don't know why you don't get this. SOPUS does operate it's rebate business. It's contracted out to a 3rd party and the less money the 3rd party pays out the more money that party makes. Just file a complaint with Shell about the rebate and it will be resolved.

Originally Posted by dave1251
I don't know why you don't get this. SOPUS does operate it's rebate business. It's contracted out to a 3rd party and the less money the 3rd party pays out the more money that party makes. Just file a complaint with Shell about the rebate and it will be resolved.

When you farm it out its still your responsibility. I did file a complaint and nothing!

I purchased 3 jugs of pphm 5-30 at meijer store (on sale) and they denied my rebate for no reason. Not to add gas to a fire but I don't even look at Pennzoil anymore. I'm not a Mobil fan but they rebated more than I paid for clearance oil without question.

They must give you a reason. But you must pursue the reason.
In other words, they cannot deny you for no reason. They have to answer your question on why you were denied.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
They must give you a reason. But you must pursue the reason.
In other words, they cannot deny you for no reason. They have to answer your question on why you were denied.

It was awhile ago but something alongs the lines of "didn't qualify". I assume because it was on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back