Wearing Hiking Shoes Full-Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago, I bought a pair of Salomon hiking shoes on Amazon in preparation for a sunrise hike up Phelp's Mountain in the Adirondacks.

Amazon Salomon Men's X Ultra 3 GTX Hiking Boot

I've found these so comfortable that I wear them pretty much every day, even at the office (we have a casual atmosphere.)

Not only have they held up better than regular shoes, but they're way more ergonomic and I don't need to buy a Dr. Scholl's insert to have a comfortable shoe. They're also great in rain/snow and have more traction than a conventional shoe.

Here's what they look like today. FYI I bought these in October of 2015:

[Linked Image]

I've never gotten more than a year or two out of conventional shoes, even expensive/designer ones.

Anyone else wearing these full-time?

In our casual environment, I can also get away with hiking shoes, so I do. I've got a pair of Vasque boots going past their second year in near daily wear. On the other days I wear dress shoes or Steel Toes (where I prefer Red Wings).

Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm lucky to get 6 weeks out of any shoes. Cheap, expensive does not matter.

10 dollar expense pair or we talking you spend 300 dollar on a pair. I'd be pretty ticked off at my 250 dollar pair Red wings if I only got a year out of them and that's spilling solvent on them on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm lucky to get 6 weeks out of any shoes. Cheap, expensive does not matter.

10 dollar expense pair or we talking you spend 300 dollar on a pair. I'd be pretty ticked off at my 250 dollar pair Red wings if I only got a year out of them and that's spilling solvent on them on a daily basis.

My red wings lasted 6 weeks. The rep told me to pound sand and would not repair or replace them. I then got some Australian made Red back boots. First ones lasted 3 weeks and the soles peeled off.2nd pair lasted only 2 weeks.

I have a pair of Merrell Men's Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe and they are comfortable but only wear them when I need traction. The most comfortable shoe I've ever had that still gives good arch support are my Brooks Addiction Walker.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I have a pair of Merrell Men's Moab 2 Vent Hiking Shoe and they are comfortable but only wear them when I need traction. The most comfortable shoe I've ever had that still gives good arch support are my Brooks Addiction Walker.

I switch between Moab 2's and Mids.

I had a pair of Nike full leather hiking boots regular price $200 I picked up for like $40 at the Nike outlet. Wish I had known how great they were going to be I wore them all the time until 3-4 years later the rubber soles peeled off them. Boots still looked and felt great but for some reason they could not be resoled I was told.

Currently have a pair of aluminum toe slip on Red Wings. $135 and company paid $100. 3 years later and still going strong. Have had 2 sets of insoles and they are in decent shape. Definitely have some wear but wearable for work. My Doc Marten slip ons are pretty good. Sole is in great shape but the back is breaking down where your heel slides in. I am pretty hard on that back end but the Red Wings have held up.

I once picked up some hiking boots on clearance and used them as work boots. They had no grip on an oily floor and only lasted about 3 months in a garage environment, but they WERE comfortable.

If they have ankle support, you might find that your natural strength in your ankles decreases over time. All winter long, I tend to wear Merrell hiking boots which are basically a rugged pair of gym shoes that have about 2" of ankle support and protection. In the spring when I switch over to shoes with no ankle support, the ankles are a little wobbly until the strength builds up again.

Ray

I wear my Carolina Sarge Lo composite "steel" toe boots all the time, for the same reasons you mentioned. The current ones are 2 years old, they'll be "retired" to yard/house work duty soon, replaced by the same boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back