What oil for my newly acquired Samurai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well summer is here and it was time to buy a new to me toy. I've got an 88 Samurai with the 1.3L stock motor and a reported 80,000 miles on it. I dont think the Odo has gone over but it is a small possibility. Anyhow any recommendations on oil selection for this thing and if anybody knows if Synthetic is ok to use?

I've also got to change the other fluids some day as well but the oil is sludge black.

Thanks!

I would honestly use some pennzoil platinum in it. See any leaks on it?
What is the weight spec'd from factory?

You should be fine using a 5w-30

10W-30 or 15W-40 HDEO would be great for this application in CA. That engine will have to rev hard.

Thanks for the quick responses guys, Its a pretty low stress but revvy engine. It leaks from the oil pan but not enough to change the dipstick level. Obviously it isn't good for much more than 60mph on the freeway but low range climbs on 90+ Degree days may have it running hot.

Any recommended brand for the Diesel spec?

Its pretty bone stock as well

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ad244
Any recommended brand for the Diesel spec?

Rotella is a favorite around here but you'll be served well by any, really.

My preference is Mobil but it's just a preference.

Any 15W-40 is good stuff, but now that you mention the leak, might want to look at a 10W-40 HM oil.

Or Valvoline Maxlife 15W-40 if you can get it.

I've owned my Samurai for 17 years and it's been happy with anything I put in it from 5w-30 to straight 30 to 15w-40. Can't tell a bit of difference.

Still got the stock carb? Maybe in Ca you have to.

You won't fix the oil pan gasket with HM oil.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I've owned my Samurai for 17 years and it's been happy with anything I put in it from 5w-30 to straight 30 to 15w-40. Can't tell a bit of difference.

Still got the stock carb? Maybe in Ca you have to.

You won't fix the oil pan gasket with HM oil.

Yep stock carb and basically everything. It needs a good cleaning and going through as its been a ranch truck for the last several years.

What fueling/ carb mods would you recommend?

Synthetic is fine.

I'd actually recommend Rotella T/Delvac/Delo 5W-40 synthetic if you don't want to run regular old 5w-30.

As for myself, I'd probably just get a decent full synth 5w-30 on sale and run it. Shouldn't have any problems. Even a cheaper synthetic like Magnatec or Quaker State UD is going to be a superior oil to your typical 1988 vintage oil.

I ran 10w-30 M1 in mine and it ran great. Fuel economy was awesome! And yea, 60mph is about all you want to go with it. All revved out!

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Its in the shop now for some new U Joints which were banging around. Debating lifting it and larger tires

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Its in the shop now for some new U Joints which were banging around. Debating lifting it and larger tires

And it begins. Next will be re-gearing and fixing driveline angles, (and you think it's gutless now)? These things were 65 raging Japanese horsepower new.

I kept my mild, 2 inch lift and 235/75-15 tires. No cool factor but no driveline problems and it will go anywhere and run 65 with the rack off. I get 21-22 mpg no matter how or where I drive it.

There was a simple vent mod for the stock carb to keep it from flooding out at high angles. When the stock carb dies a Weber wakes it up if that's legal for you. Change out the tranny lube with something synthetic. Lots of things to fix and mod if you want, search around a bit.

[Linked Image]

That would be a mistake...

If I bought a bone-stock Samurai I'd change all fluids, new hoses & acc belt, refresh ignition, replace dizzy o-ring, set valves, valve cover gasket, timing belt & cover, oil pan gasket, clicky starter relay fix, replace body mounts, possible motor mounts (does engine lean?), shifter sheet if it shifts funky, rebuild front hubs. Nothing makes the stock springs ride any better and stay away from stiff shocks. The stock Hitachi carb works fine until it doesn't then you replace it with something else. This all gets you to baseline before any mods. You can regear in the diffs or in the t-case. Lots of ways to lift, a YJ spring swap is the best for ride and flex, a stock spring over conversion is cheap and dirty and gives the look. I did a RUF/CJ spring lift and have been happy with it for a long time. I also put in an electric fan with a thermostat and switch.

Or....

Do a cheapo lift put on 31s and run the snot out of it and fix things as they break. But forget 5th gear ever, hills suck on the road and now 1 lo isn't very low so you're clutch slipping or revving if you trail ride.

Have fun with your Zuk and hold on to your wallet.
thumbsup2.gif

My brother had the soft top when they were new. I'd run some short intervals of any cheap SN 10W-30/40 to clean it a bit. You could also try something like Rislone Engine Treatment as a cleaner on a very short OCI...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back