PYB 10w30 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went over to my sisters house to change the oil in her push mower yesterday. I stopped an got one qt of PYB 10w30 and after I got done I noticed it was SN+ energy conserving on the back. So my question is, although it does not say synthetic, its this a synthetic or type of blend? Right next to Quaker State oils, wonder if they are of the same company.

Shell does own both Pennzoil and Quaker State.

PYB 10W-30 is a syn blend; for a while it was noted to have super-low NOAK bc of the amount of GTL base in it.

Not sure if this is still the case.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Went over to my sisters house to change the oil in her push mower yesterday. I stopped an got one qt of PYB 10w30 and after I got done I noticed it was SN+ energy conserving on the back. So my question is, although it does not say synthetic, its this a synthetic or type of blend? Right next to Quaker State oils, wonder if they are of the same company.

Pennzoil says its a conventional oil, not a blend or full syn. Interweb rumors aside, believe Pennzoil.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/blends-conventional-oils/conventional.html

SN+ means they reduced calcium and raised magnesium to avoid LSPI. It doesn't mean anything else.

Energy conserving is from the moly FM they use, not the base oils.

The Pennzoil and Quaker State websites are notoriously full of old information.

The Shell homesite is the best source but takes some navigating....

http://www.epc.shell.com/

Pennzoil SAE 10W-30

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by das_peikko
10W-30 is not supposed to be energy conserving; that status is reserved for 5W-20 and 5W-30.

I used to think this, but there are separate (lowered) criteria for a 10w-30 to meet the Sequence VID test. A 10w-30 can be resource ("energy" was the pre-2010 term, now different) conserving and the PYB is labeled as such. Here are the S.VID criteria and different metrics by weight:

https://www.swri.org/sites/default/files/sequence-vid-test.pdf

I have a bottle of this in my truck as "make up oil," I got two bottles of it for $2 each on sale. I poured some the other day in mid/high 50F weather (oil at same temp) and it was quite clear to my eye it was not just dino.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Pennzoil says its a conventional oil, not a blend or full syn. Interweb rumors aside, believe Pennzoil.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/blends-conventional-oils/conventional.html

I can't believe what Pennzoil says because they were dumping GTL in it.

My mower was consuming PYB 10W-30 way more than I thought it should. Mower was not smoking. Had to top it off every mow. Changed over to Kohler 10W-30, and the consumption immediately stopped. Using Briggs SAE 30 now because I got it on clearance cheap. No consumption with the Briggs oil.

wemay, the list of CAS numbers has Group2, Group3+, and Group4 oils, indicating they could be using some syn, yet it also could be completely Group2. That don't commit.
They appear to take full advantage of the BOI rules. Maybe there is syn in there, maybe not, according to MSDS's.
[Linked Image]

I agree, although the other MSDS (5W-20 and 5W-30) actually say synthetic and mineral base oils in the highlighted area below, but not the 10W-30. But your observation is interesting.

Capture.PNG

If one looks up all those "possible" CAS numbers that make up the mystery-mix of base oil, it runs the gamut of Group2, Group3+, and Group4, and I think one of them was actually Group1 which is OK in small amounts I'm sure. I don't think any was Group3 (only 3+), since I only saw "hydrotreated" and not "hydrocracked" keywords for those CAS's.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
wemay, the list of CAS numbers has Group2, Group3+, and Group4 oils, indicating they could be using some syn, yet it also could be completely Group2. That don't commit.
They appear to take full advantage of the BOI rules. Maybe there is syn in there, maybe not, according to MSDS's.
[Linked Image]

There is that interchangeable low viscosity base oils term again.

I also see the ** means polymer exempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back