Honda Camera Design...FAIL

A couple weeks ago found a small piece of black plastic on the cargo tray of my 15 Accord. I had no idea where it came from but I saved it for future reference. Few days later while opening the trunk, I happened to notice the back up camera was loose. I tried to see if I could reattach it, no go. Googled the issue, apparently a fairly common problem. I'm about 6 months out of bumper to bumper warranty (
Not long after arriving service writer handed me an estimate for $443.39. Uhhh no, not in this lifetime. Talked to service manager, first thing he says we haven't seen you since... a long time. As I diy, other than recall, and not even one courtesy oil and filter change provided, no reason go there. He admitted the design sucks and suggested I call Honda. Think he knew that would be a waste of time but just wanted me out of there. Called Honda, after some phone time basically told me to pound sand. Last question Honda rep asked me after a long hold, what did the dealer offer? Told her zip. Oh well, too bad so sad Honda can do nothing.

Beside the clip being made of plastic, there's no separate bracket part.
frown.gif
So when clip breaks, whole camera must be replaced. Just not in me to leave a rattling camera in trunk, besides camera seals the trunk in that area. Ordered a replacement from a dealer outside Richmond, MagAuto. Retail ~$300, with shipping ~$205. As I'm sure Mag still making money, shows the mark up in parts. No complaints about them, camera came quickly. Install pretty easy with the help a couple of excellent you tubes.

Lesson here reminded me of Seinfeld's Soup nazi skit...No Soup For You! Adapted to my situation, if you DIY, No Goodwill For You! As for camera itself, still good. And it appears some guy on ebay sold a used camera with broken clip for $73. I was watching it, and it's since sold. Perhaps someone's camera went bad but clip ok. Looks to be some very small screws holding camera to bracket.

New camera, clip on bottom
[Linked Image]

Pointing to where clip broke, broken piece to the right.
[Linked Image]

Broken piece, right side break area.
[Linked Image]

^^^Bumper to bumper warranty, 3years/36k miles. I agree, seems like should be covered, why I took a shot. Perhaps if I had regular dealer service, dealer goodwill might have kicked in. Seems like the latter was implied by service manager and Honda.

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by Sayjac
^^^Bumper to bumper warranty, 3years/36k miles. I agree, seems like should be covered, why I took a shot. Perhaps if I had regular dealer service, dealer goodwill might have kicked in. Seems like the latter was implied by service manager and Honda.

It's worth a shot but they have to draw the line somewhere, I think 6 months is a fair point to draw that line. It's frustrating, but that's how it goes. To be honest, the price they gave you doesn't seem too unreasonable considering as how you paid $300 for the part. Around here labor is anywhere from 90-120/hr. Factor parts, labor and mark-up and the $443 quote doesn't sound too off base.

Last edited:
I'm less than enthused with my 2016 Civic. Since im a VW guy anyway it sure makes the new VW 6 year/72k warranty look nice.

...To be honest, the price they gave you doesn't seem too unreasonable considering as how you paid $300 for the part. Around here labor is anywhere from 90-120/hr. Factor parts, labor and mark-up and the $443 quote doesn't sound too off base.
The listed retail price ~$300, I paid ~$205 including shipping. Before shipping $196 and change. Other factors, they are/were the purchase dealer, vehicle has < 20k miles. No idea what their hourly rate is but after doing it once, it's no more than a 30 min. job. And they listed top retail for part $304.32 on estimate. Not to mention SM admitted part design sucks. So, all things considered $443 is out of line imo. If the part can be listed online for $196 and change, what do you suppose thier cost is? Thankfully I wasn't at their mercy, and I could draw the line.

As for trying to rig something, been thinking about it for future. I seem to remember some thin metal clips that grip/grab on both sides and maybe go over the half clip. Maybe someone, another owner, will come up with something to use as a template for a fix. Don't need to worry about it immediately.

2 sided 3M auto tape used for mounting emblems on cars would have worked.

Replace the foam gasket with it and trim it to match the foam gasket.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B000BO9L00/ref=sr_1_6?crid=43UGCWA5LN1N&keywords=3m+auto+tape&qid=1555625559&s=gateway&sprefix=3+m+auto+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

Originally Posted by Sayjac
If the part can be listed online for $196 and change, what do you suppose their cost is?

Usually their cost is 50-60% of MSRP.

Wholesale, online and retail sales make up a very small percentage of any parts department's revenue. The bulk of their sales will stem from actual repair work. Keep in mind that warranty will often pay cost plus 40% for the parts, which is a lot more money than a dealer will make from online or wholesale sales.

In spite of the biased brand bashing that goes on here, this story proves that no brand is without fault. I had an out of warranty repair on my lowly FCA Patriot. The dealer went out of his way to do a good will repair that saved me $500 dollars had I let the dealer complete the repair normally. I did not even buy this car at this dealer, let alone get any service done there. Some dealers shine, others suck.

Originally Posted by Danno

It looks like only one side is a clip, the other side is a hingey clip. That totally would have worked!

I'd be tempted to use clear or black rtv and glue the whole dang thing in place. Remove the foam gasket. Better yet use some form a gasket on it and clamp it in place over night.

I can think of at least half a dozen adhesives (not necessarily RTV) that would hold it in place for the life of the car for less than $10

Class action lawsuit..Also, Attorney General's Office? Sounds like there is a systemic design flaw..

Originally Posted by Danno

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B000BO9L00/ref=sr_1_6?crid=43UGCWA5LN1N&keywords=3m+auto+tape&qid=1555625559&s=gateway&sprefix=3+m+auto+%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6

That's the right way to fix this. Why replace it with another that will just break the clips again in a few years?

Is the actual lens held in place with 2 tiny screws? If so you can bet that someone like Dorman will come out with a redesigned housing that is flexible and you can transfer the lens into.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Is the actual lens held in place with 2 tiny screws? If so you can bet that someone like Dorman will come out with a redesigned housing that is flexible and you can transfer the lens into.
There are two tiny torxs screws one outside, one inside, that hold the camera to the housing on which the clip sits. As for that possibility, that would be great. Truth be told Honda should do that, though I doubt they will. Some type of replaceable metal clip or clips attached to that housing would be best case. Something easily replaced. Even an inexpensive separate housing part from camera.

As for using rtv, that wouldn't be my preference. Cameras have been known fail and that would mean a lot of clean up, scraping etc. 3M double sided tape a possibility, but again, cam fails, housing and tape has to be scraped off. Ideally an improved clip(s) and easily removable housing from camera fixes the issue.

However, none that changes main point of poor design that Honda should fix, change, make right.

I have dealt with two Honda dealers concerning warranty within 3/36 with the same results as you.
Seems that the cost of the work goes against the dealership.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
The message is clear, they don't want your kind. They want the revenue generators to return. If it was me I would first attempt to modify/fabricate a fix for the part. When that failed do what you are doing.

That about sums it up right there. It's no different any place any make.

Back