F150 Exhaust whistle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

A friend of mine has a 2011 (I believe) F150 with the 3.5l Eco boost engine. It has a Magnaflow aftermarket exhaust on it and seems to make a noise like when you are blowing over the top of a tube or straw. Its like a whistle type noise. It happens only when you are in the throttle, not towing or loaded, at about 60-70mph... When I road in it, it seems like its coming from the exhaust, is this just what the aftermarket systems sound like?

I don't think its from the engine.. anyone else have this?

Thanks.

Is it coming out of the coolant bottle cap?

Check for boost leaks too.

Originally Posted by mattd
Is it coming out of the coolant bottle cap?

Check for boost leaks too.

Seems to come from the back of the truck (but I don't have great hearing either)... It wont do it revving the engine, has to be just the truck (not towing) and then jumping on the throttle at highway speeds. Has tons of power, so I don't think boost leaks. Plus if it happened while towing I would guess boost leaks. but only when truck is empty.

After mkt exhaust and a whistle, I know where I'd be looking. I know me.
grin2.gif

Need an inline resonator to remove the high pitch whistle you are hearing.
ford is putting them on the OE exhaust systems to remove that whistle or high pitch

Are you sure it's not the turbos making noise? On my 2019 Ecoboost I can hear the turbos with the window down but there's not a trace of a whistle when the windows are up.

He is in California, the truck probably went to Bubb Rubb for the exhaust. Check it out on youtube. The wistle go woo wooooo!

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
He is in California, the truck probably went to Bubb Rubb for the exhaust. Check it out on youtube. The wistle go woo wooooo!

LOL!!! Too funny! The truck has a proper exhaust, I think it may just be "normal" for the truck with the turbos...

Could be blow off valve. Did the previous owner put a cold air intake on it? That's a potential noise source. Also check the charge pipes for some leaks.

My Rams sound like half of an old time steam whistle when exhaust brake is on, slowing down. Sounds like half a vacuum cleaner too.

Kinda jealous of the free breathing PSDs. They sound like near-boil tea kettles at idle, and full boil under acceleration.

If he's looking for good resonators to add to his exhaust, try the Vibrant Quiet Series. I have them in my Lincoln and it sounds exactly like stock with no cats. Modular Ford's usually sound like they are trying to cough up soup can lids without them. Great way to get rid of wanted exhaust harmonics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back