Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a couple of my wheels on my Fusion have very slight bends. I have a very slight vibration at highway speeds and thought I would replace with the stock ones. At almost 400 per wheel at the dealer and 300 per wheel remanufactured, I am thinking about moving away from my stock wheels. The trouble is, I am having a problem finding wheels in the 18x8 in a positive 55mm offset. The ones I am finding are around 35-45mm offset. Is this a big deal? I would rather not use spacers but I not sure how much 10mm of offset will effect the car. Any insight is appreciated.

A +45 mm is probably fine, a +35 mm might be ok, but the wheel will sit 20 mm further OUT, towards the fender. There is a chance it will rub, depending on clearance. Spacers push the wheel OUT towards the fender, just as a lower positive offset will. Most people run spacers either to clear the brake caliper, or to get a more flush fit with the fender,

And, FYI, the only people who EVER buy OE wheels at a dealership are insurance companies ... that is why factory wheels are so expensive !

Originally Posted by Dave9
This is crazy. It's a Fusion, get some true wheels at a junk yard. $40 a pop, discount for getting all 4.

100% !
thumbsup2.gif

Or check craigslist, or whatever....

I got 4 full set 16" Taurus wheels (for my Windstar) ten years ago for $60, and they were perfect
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by das_peikko
I thought this was going to be a thread about wrenches.

I thought it was going to be about this garage rock group I like called "The Off-Set"
grin.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
So how did the wheels get very slight bends ? I gots to know.

I don't know exactly but I would assume hit one of the billions of gigantic potholes all over the IL, IN and MI. The roads here are crap because of cheap construction and freeze/thaw cycles.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
A 10 mm change in offset will be quite the change in scrub. It will be constantly pulling left/right on uneven roads.

I found some 50mm. Do you think 5mm would be ok?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Dave9
This is crazy. It's a Fusion, get some true wheels at a junk yard. $40 a pop, discount for getting all 4.

100% !
thumbsup2.gif

Or check craigslist, or whatever....

I got 4 full set 16" Taurus wheels (for my Windstar) ten years ago for $60, and they were perfect
thumbsup2.gif

I've been looking but they are harder to find. There are roughly 10 different styles of wheels for the Fusion 2013-19 model years.

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Originally Posted by mightymousetech
A 10 mm change in offset will be quite the change in scrub. It will be constantly pulling left/right on uneven roads.

I found some 50mm. Do you think 5mm would be ok?

5mm should feel about the same as the stock ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back