coyote / Ronin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got it installed last night and for all of those wondering it seems to be a well built unit. Hopefully it was my last "hot oil shower". It really is a shame that I had to spend 70 bucks to solve a problem Ford created by saving a few pennies on a new drain plug design.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
My old 73 F100 had the same problem with the drain plug on a crossmember,,,old news, things never change...

My Cavalier drained the filter onto the exhaust, so you get to deal with the lovely smell of burnt oil when you drive it after an oil change!

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
That design of plug has a major tendency to get super stuck and break if one must force the issue as it were. Seen it too many times.

Plus the average person changing oil will manhandle it and then come to parts and demand a new one because it broke.

I'm reading that this is supposed to be replaced every time. Is that true?

No, you dont have to replace it every time. If you were to keep the OEM design, I would recommend having a spare just in case you actually break one. However, I never felt I was going to break the OE plug on the three times I used it. After I installed the Ronin unit, I cleaned the OEM plastic unit and put it in a zip lock bag in the truck for safe keeping just in case there is a problem with it leaking or something happens I have the original one as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back