Way above MPG rating

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cx-5 gets 45 mpg at 45 mph, over a 2 mile no-wind strech, both directions. Somewhere around 32 mpg at 60 mph.

My last tank, exclusively 2 miles one-way, stop n go, 26.3 mpg. Console said 26.0 (it usually over-estimates 1 mpg).

Air drag triples with a doubling of speed.

Originally Posted by bobdoo
My cx-5 gets 45 mpg at 45 mph, over a 2 mile no-wind strech, both directions. Somewhere around 32 mpg at 60 mph.

My last tank, exclusively 2 miles one-way, stop n go, 26.3 mpg. Console said 26.0 (it usually over-estimates 1 mpg).

Air drag triples with a doubling of speed.

Is that what the fuel economy meter in the info window tells you? I use that as a reference but still go by the average fuel economy in the app on the nav screen and verified by fueling up.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
As mentioned, the lifetime MPG is what matters in a vehicle. Although for myself, I have never calculated the MPG over the lifetime of any of my vehicles but, I should. However, I do calculate the MPG after(almost) ever tank of gas. And in the summertime it's GREAT and in the wintertime is SUCKS!
laugh.gif

^^^^^^^^

I agree... Lifetime average. My car's lifetime avg gas mileage is about 28.9-29.6 open highway cruising. I have done that check over 50 plus times. On the same exact road. That is quite flat. Changing the oil makes a difference too. The above is with relatively new oil in the car. After 2500 to 3k miles it starts to drop off.

Lifetime average isn't always an accurate measure though because there are lots of times when you're sitting idling in traffic or in the winter time warming up the car. Factoring that out is the true measure of how efficient it is.

For me, I like to find a perfectly flat stretch of highway and set the cruise control and reset the onboard calculator and see what it'll truly do on the highway under ideal conditions. And seeing what it'll do over the course of a week of driving (preferably without prolonged idling periods)

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Easy to get 50 MPG level ground 65 MPH in the Jetta steady state.

VW engine management shuts the fuel off pretty quickly when you are off throttle, slight downgrade and it may phase to cams for compression release as I dont feel much engine braking as would be normal I have a stick in the Jetta so its easy to notice.

I am most impressed with the Wife's old Forester easy to get over 30 mixed driving with full time awd. That with either the FB or
the EJ engines. Amazing.

Funny you mention that. I drive up and down a decent sized mountain (8% to 10% grade) every day and going down driving the GTI you feel no engine braking effect what so-ever. Now if I'm driving the S10 you can slap it in 3rd or 4th depending on traffic and only hit the brake twice because of curves.

On the topic of fuel mileage, now that its warmed up I'm getting between 36-38+ MPG in the VW. This is going by the display, which I've confirmed it's within 1-2MPG by hand calculating several times. I drive all state and backroads with typically max speed 55mph.

"Is that what the fuel economy meter in the info window tells you?"

I have a road that's flat and wind-free. I drive 45 mph, reset the avg mpg display, and drive for 2ish miles.

I use Fuelly and record each tank. I am right at EPA fuel mileage. On long trips I get 28 mpg without stopping but never went far enough to burn a whole tank so that never shows up. I have had to floor it couple of times and with 3000 miles when I got I did a new break in cause it ran like they ran all low rpms. After almost 6000 miles I can finally run econ mode without vibrations or weird shifting. Average mileage is 20.4 for 6000 miles with best of 24.4 and lowest is 18.5 for 2018 Grand Caravan. Meter on dash is always within 1-2 mpg of calculations.

I have a road that's flat and wind-free. I drive 45 mph, reset the avg mpg display, and drive for 2ish miles.

2 miles is very short. Check your fuel economy app and you can review your history.

Originally Posted by Patman
Definitely going down in elevation makes a huge difference. Coming back home from my son's house last summer to my house there is about a 500 ft elevation change and I saw almost 50 MPG in my Corvette! That's not realistic on a flat road.

Your speedometer goes to 330 MPH lol

Originally Posted by PimTac

2 miles is very short. Check your fuel economy app and you can review your history.

My CX-5 shows the last 5 or 6 'fillups', ie, when I reset the mileage after filling the tank. Those obviously include startup, idling, accelerating, braking, and driving from 2 MPH to 90 MPH. None of which tells me how much MPG the car gets when going exactly 45 MPH. Or 35, 55 and 65. All of which I wanted to know, so I can maximize long-trip MPG.

Originally Posted by PimTac

My CX-5 shows the last 5 or 6 'fillups', ie, when I reset the mileage after filling the tank. Those obviously include startup, idling, accelerating, braking, and driving from 2 MPH to 90 MPH. None of which tells me how much MPG the car gets when going exactly 45 MPH. Or 35, 55 and 65. All of which I wanted to know, so I can maximize long-trip MPG.

There is a setting you must use to show the average overall. If I find it I'll share it.

Depending on the year of your CX5, you might have the option in the info screen in your instrument panel. Cycle through the options until the MPG meter appears. This is the screen that shows the trip mileage, heading in the right hand side.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by Char Baby
As mentioned, the lifetime MPG is what matters in a vehicle. Although for myself, I have never calculated the MPG over the lifetime of any of my vehicles but, I should. However, I do calculate the MPG after(almost) ever tank of gas. And in the summertime it's GREAT and in the wintertime is SUCKS!
laugh.gif

^^^^^^^^

I agree... Lifetime average. My car's lifetime avg gas mileage is about 28.9-29.6 open highway cruising. I have done that check over 50 plus times. On the same exact road. That is quite flat. Changing the oil makes a difference too. The above is with relatively new oil in the car. After 2500 to 3k miles it starts to drop off.

My car's lifetime average so far is 25.2mpg, including 0-60 romps and idling at drive-throughs and having fun and driving 85 down the freeway and whatever.

It is rated at 24mpg combined. Had I not had any fun in it, I'd probably be in the 26mpg range.

Originally Posted by Delta
Easy to get 50 MPG level ground 65 MPH in the Jetta steady state.

VW engine management shuts the fuel off pretty quickly when you are off throttle, slight downgrade and it may phase to cams for compression release as I dont feel much engine braking as would be normal I have a stick in the Jetta so its easy to notice.

I am most impressed with the Wife's old Forester easy to get over 30 mixed driving with full time awd. That with either the FB or
the EJ engines. Amazing.

Funny you mention that. I drive up and down a decent sized mountain (8% to 10% grade) every day and going down driving the GTI you feel no engine braking effect what so-ever. Now if I'm driving the S10 you can slap it in 3rd or 4th depending on traffic and only hit the brake twice because of curves.

On the topic of fuel mileage, now that its warmed up I'm getting between 36-38+ MPG in the VW. This is going by the display, which I've confirmed it's within 1-2MPG by hand calculating several times. I drive all state and backroads with typically max speed 55mph.
If I didnt dip into the turbo so much I would average over 40MPG. But I'm at about 36 MPG early spring wit no long highway runs. Not bad at all. That's subcompact buzzbomb numbers. I think I averaged 28mpg in a 5 speed 3 door Hyundai Accent in the 90's.

Originally Posted by DGXR
Originally Posted by Patman
Definitely going down in elevation makes a huge difference. Coming back home from my son's house last summer to my house there is about a 500 ft elevation change and I saw almost 50 MPG in my Corvette! That's not realistic on a flat road.

Your speedometer goes to 330 MPH lol

That's because it's a Canadian spec car, so they expect most Canadians will keep the setting on metric but I like to put it in imperial so it reads MPH, but obviously that 330 mph isn't acheivable (but 330 km/h isn't far off it's actual top speed)

But I'm at about 36 MPG early spring wit no long highway runs. Not bad at all. That's subcompact buzzbomb numbers. I think I averaged 28mpg in a 5 speed 3 door Hyundai Accent in the 90's.

I took my foot out of it, for the last 3 tanks on my Camry, and have been getting 32mpg, was getting 26-28 this winter. Not bad for a slushbox (I think EPA was 28). Makes me jealous reading what you guys are getting! Lifetime average on my '99 has been not quite 31mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back