2005 chrysler 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
I brought this car with 33000 original miles, Question should the antifreeze be changed ? they say 5 years but the mileage is low. It uses Hoat antifreeze which is what is in there.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by JLTD
Yes. In your place I'd change all fluids.

+1

+2 you can have fallout that is why they have a time limit in addition to the mileage limit. Use 60/40 not 50/50 like the rest of the US.

60/40 I was going to drain the rad and flush with water than add 2 gallons straight and fill rest with water, is that ok thats how we did it in the old days.

Please click your heels together while repeating "there is no such thing as lifetime fluids" three times, then go change the coolant.

We used to use straight coolant and fill the rest with water 'tap" now I understand that it must be distilled water. ok I can flush with tap water and refill with 2 gallons of straight antifreeze and 2 gallons of distilled water correct?

Originally Posted by jeep58
60/40 I was going to drain the rad and flush with water than add 2 gallons straight and fill rest with water, is that ok thats how we did it in the old days.

I do the same thing, radiator drain and refill at about 40% of the recommended interval....never a corrosion issue.

If it were me , I would gather up some 1 gallon jugs and go by the water places & pay $ .25 a gallon for the " pure " water .

What I do , every few years is drop the lower radiator hose and drain as best as I can . Then add 100% antifreeze . On our GM cars , takes about a gallon . Use the " pure " water as needed . Check with an anti freeze tester .

Best of luck on the 300 ! :)

Ok so I got the drain plug out but will not go back in! I know its not supposed to come out completely I screwed up !!!

Originally Posted by jeep58

Your vehicle takes 3.5 gallons of coolant so a 60/40 mixture would be 2.1 gallons of coolant concentrate 1.4 gallons of de-ionized (preferred) or distilled water.
(If it is the 5.7 V8)

Last edited:
Ok so I put a new drain plug plastic back in, I drained the system from the bottom hose, " not messing with the plastic plug again" It took a little over a gallon of straight coolant zerex and about 1/3 of distilled water from a gallon jug. engine is a 3.5 V6 Touring model

Your system then is 2.5 Gallons total so a 60/40 split would be: 1.5 Gallons Coolant Concentrate to 1 Gallon de-ionized water / distilled water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back