Semi Synth Gear Oil Seperation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The purpose of this post is to ask the oil experts of the internets if you have ever come across and how you think this may have happened. I found this interesting and would like to talk about how this may have happened.

I wont be mentioning the brand of oil so as not to call out the manufacturer. They have been very attentive if a little vague. Their advice was to return the product to the distributer in the expectation it makes it back to them for analysis. Not going to happen as Amazon does not want the oil back. I have 8 bottles left if you want to risk it!
smile.gif

So the story is, I bought a case of Semi Syth 75-90 gear oil from Amazon. Went to change it out and noticed the first bottle going down was very slow flowing. I didnt think much of it as it is gear oil after all. I was using a funnel attached to a clear plastic tube that was going into the tranny dipstick. I picked this up at the auto parts store and it had a mesh screen at the bottom of the funnel. The second bottle stopped flowing about half way. It sat for 30 mins without flowing at all. Nothing seemed out of place so I decided to use another funnel, emptied the contents of the first into an empty container and found that the screen at the bottom of the funnel had clogged up with what looked and felt like petroleum jelly. Below is a link to a Picture.

The manufacturer did not provide any technical explaination on how it may have happened except that it may not have been stored properly or that a seal on a bottle may have been broken. (This happens to oil?)

The bottles in the case all had matching date codes and the manufacturer did not express that they thought these were counterfeit. They looked at the date code and batch number. The manufactured date was September of 2018.

What are your thoughts? Link to pic:

http://imgur.com/a/nIpP0Zw

Last edited:
From what I can see the Olefin copolymer or some other type of thickener did not stay in solution.

Cause? There could be a number of causes but the major cause is not enough dispersant, or ester, or AN to keep the thickener in solution.

I would drain all of it as best as possible and send this batch back to the manufacturer at their expense.

My main concern is this gear lube may have some severe "channeling" during cold weather.

See page 9 of this document for a discussion of channeling:

A study of Automotive Gear Lube and Testing

or Question 2 at:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/24959/gear-oil-questions-answers

Last edited:
I had about ten years ago some Delo ESI gear lube where about half poured out and the other left over was jelly like. I used the oil that poured out for my oil can and tossed the rest.

I had every intention to drain and have. The manufacturer advised the same. What you are saying would point to a manufacturing defect (incorrect mixture). Its curious why the company did not want me to ship the lot back after I told them the supplier was not going to pay shipping to take it back. Maybe they had enough evidence in the pictures.

Appreciate the links you provided.

Was this decently aged or supposedly fresh? Stored in any extreme conditions?

Originally Posted by J_ODIE
I had every intention to drain and have. The manufacturer advised the same. What you are saying would point to a manufacturing defect (incorrect mixture). Its curious why the company did not want me to ship the lot back after I told them the supplier was not going to pay shipping to take it back. Maybe they had enough evidence in the pictures.

Appreciate the links you provided.

Sometimes Blending machines do "cough" and things like this can happen, but it is rare.

Sometimes the manf./blender will have the customer send in a sample from the batch to verify the results of an analysis and to examine QC records.

For anyone who has a problem with a product, notify the manf.. send in a sample with pictures, find out when the analysis has been completed, and ask for a copy of the results.

I have seen this type of situation with some products even from top brand and Botique manufacturers so it does happen to the best. Unfortunately, it usually causes the customer to freak out when it "glops-glops-glops" from the bottle when it should pour smoothly.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Motyl Gear 75W90 with a Date and Batch of:
25:09:18/449023M1.

So maybe be wary of anything made on the 25th of September 2018.

FWIW I drained the transmission and filled with some Motul Gear 300 this time. No issues observed during the fill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back