2019 Kia Cadeza, Manual offers 5 different velocity oil? what to choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Summer temp where I live could be over 40C. Traffic jam every single day. I am using a 5w30 in my bmw. I would use the same in the kia. Your owner manual shows that it's recommended

In average most 5w30 are better oils than a 20w50 and better than most 5w40. My car has oil temp gauge. Duringe summer under standard driving oil is 100C as it's during winter. So you should that care of your cooling system rathen than oil viscosity.

As for me I don't worry about the coolant being frozen, I worry about increasing the boiling point, so I use a minimum of 50% coolant

40C=105F

100C=212F

Last edited:
As a rule of thumb, I'd use the oil that meets the manufacturer's viscosity specs for the ambient temperatures the vehicle will operate in, and that has the smallest viscosity range, since that will be the oil that has the lowest amount of viscosity index improvers in its formulation. Since all of the listed oils in the manual are OK according to KIA, apparently the higher viscosity oils (15w-40, 20w-50) won't play badly with the engine's operation (like cam phasers, if it's a VVT-I engine). Nonetheless, 10w-30 is apparently fine for the temperature ranges you operate in, and would seem to have lowest amount of VI additives subject to breakdown. To top it off, it's commonly available, and typically pretty inexpensive. So I'd go with 10w-30.

Originally Posted by Amenhotep
Summer temp where I live could be over 40C. Traffic jam every single day. I am using a 5w30 in my bmw. I would use the same in the kia. Your owner manual shows that it's recommended

In average most 5w30 are better oils than a 20w50 and better than most 5w40. My car has oil temp gauge. Duringe summer under standard driving oil is 100C as it's during winter. So you should that care of your cooling system rathen than oil viscosity.

As for me I don't worry about the coolant being frozen, I worry about increasing the boiling point, so I use a minimum of 50% coolant

40C=105F

100C=212F

+1

Originally Posted by John344
I want the one that can handle heat better in my hot country this is why I'm thinking of using the 5W-40 instead of 5W-30

0/5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 are perfectly fine in any country, including countries in the Middle East etc. The US has some of the highest temperatures in the world, but people are running 0W20 oils in places like Las Vegas or Phoenix.
Also, by buying 5W40 oil you might get oil that is thicker some 7-10% than ACEA A3 5W30 oils. Also, take into consideration that thinner oils cool off better.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking of too. 5W-30 is widely used and it's available everywhere and easier to find than 5W-40. Do you think that the lubrication of 5W-30 equivalent to 5W-40?

Yes it is equivalent. That is why I am saying to use ACEA A3/B3 B4, or ACEA C3 (if gas is low-sulphur). As someone mentioned, those oils are definitely much more sophisticated than any 20W50 (unless some specialty racing oil, which usually is not well suited for daily driving).
Again, use any 0/5W30 that has MB229.5 approval or if gas is good, any that has MB229.51 approval. That should be rule of thumb when looking at really good oil as Mercedes-Benz specifications are well rounded and stringent.

Originally Posted by edyvw
I want the one that can handle heat better in my hot country this is why I'm thinking of using the 5W-40 instead of 5W-30

0/5W30 ACEA A3/B3 B4 are perfectly fine in any country, including countries in the Middle East etc. The US has some of the highest temperatures in the world, but people are running 0W20 oils in places like Las Vegas or Phoenix.
Also, by buying 5W40 oil you might get oil that is thicker some 7-10% than ACEA A3 5W30 oils. Also, take into consideration that thinner oils cool off better.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking of too. 5W-30 is widely used and it's available everywhere and easier to find than 5W-40. Do you think that the lubrication of 5W-30 equivalent to 5W-40?

Yes it is equivalent. That is why I am saying to use ACEA A3/B3 B4, or ACEA C3 (if gas is low-sulphur). As someone mentioned, those oils are definitely much more sophisticated than any 20W50 (unless some specialty racing oil, which usually is not well suited for daily driving).
Again, use any 0/5W30 that has MB229.5 approval or if gas is good, any that has MB229.51 approval. That should be rule of thumb when looking at really good oil as Mercedes-Benz specifications are well rounded and stringent.

Plus I'm willing to change it every 5000Km and I wouldn't let it reach 10000Km because the warranty forces me to change it at 5K.

Plus I'm willing to change it every 5000Km and I wouldn't let it reach 10000Km because the warranty forces me to change it at 5K.

Oil interval is at 5,000km?

10w-40 or 15w-40.

I would consider 55 C very hot for an ambient temp, and thus the oil in your sump is going to be easily pumpable. I put trust in KIA that they put good cooling systems in their cars, so I don't think the oil will be too thin while running.

Originally Posted by Brian553
10w-40 or 15w-40.

I would consider 55 C very hot for an ambient temp, and thus the oil in your sump is going to be easily pumpable. I put trust in KIA that they put good cooling systems in their cars, so I don't think the oil will be too thin while running.

Those oils will not be as sophisticated as ACEA A3 or C3 oils. Just because they are thicker at cold start or bit thicker at KV100 does not mean they will offer better protection in those temperatures.

I just bought a brand new Kia Cadenza and I've checked the manual and I found that there are 5 different oils that can be used. The dealer in my country only use one oil 20W-50 which is really heavy oil and I don't like using it. I also live in a really hot environment that reaches 55C.

... My Grand Cherokee 2018 use 0W-20 and it's under warranty and they told me this is the only oil we use. I'm a bit worried about using such a thin oil in a sunny deserty place but it's under warranty so I will keep doing the service with them.

So, you don't like thicker oil ... but you live where it is really hot.

AND you are scared of thinner oil ... because, well you live where it's really hot !

You must not sleep much ...

They are using "severe service interval" since middle east means dusty conditions + heat

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

They are using "severe service interval" since middle east means dusty conditions + heat

Still looks too excessive for certain oils.

Yes, I have to because of the service schedule has to be done at 5000km. If I don't commit I lose the warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
Very nice vehicle, congrats.
I would go with a 10W-30 or 5W-40.

Thanks, I used to own German cars and had nothing but trouble especially that my environment is really harsh on cars. Now I changed to the Korean cars even though I wanted a Japanese car but they didnt' offer much for the price.

Originally Posted by geeman789

I just bought a brand new Kia Cadenza and I've checked the manual and I found that there are 5 different oils that can be used. The dealer in my country only use one oil 20W-50 which is really heavy oil and I don't like using it. I also live in a really hot environment that reaches 55C.

... My Grand Cherokee 2018 use 0W-20 and it's under warranty and they told me this is the only oil we use. I'm a bit worried about using such a thin oil in a sunny deserty place but it's under warranty so I will keep doing the service with them.

So, you don't like thicker oil ... but you live where it is really hot.

AND you are scared of thinner oil ... because, well you live where it's really hot !

You must not sleep much ...

No, I don't like using 20W-50 because it's a really heavy old oil. I willing to use either 5W-30 or 5W-40, I read that both of them are good oils and designed to deal with High Temps.

This desert may have gasoline sulfur in thousands of ppm , hence short OCI ?

Last edited:

I found this in my local Mobil 1 distributor and bought it. they told me it's the latest oil by Mobil 1. I will include the pictures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by zeng
This desert may have gasoline sulfur in thousands of ppm , hence short OCI ?

It could be, but dusty conditions means severe service, so I don't think it's a bad idea a 5000 km oci

I found this in my local Mobil 1 distributor and bought it. they told me it's the latest oil by Mobil 1. I will include the pictures.

That one is a great oil, Mobil 1 5w30 esp Formula. Main problem. It's the old formula so in a near future will no longer available. New formula it isn't bmw ll04

Last edited:
I have used Castrol 0w40 in our Kia (with the V6 predecessor to your engine) and you can't tell one whit of difference in the way it runs from 5w20. I am out of warranty though, Kia does not allow 0w oils. Anyway I'd not be afraid of a good 5w40 at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back