Crazy Neighbor....part deux

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mentioned all the past crazy neighbor stuff in an older thread. Got a question. I'm getting ready to put up a privacy fence that will pretty much block all her ground level cameras aimed directly into my yard. My last count as of last night, 8 in the front yard alone, all aiming at my house and front yard. So, nothing I could have done legally about that since the cameras are in here yard. So, when I put up my new fence here in a few weeks, and then she deliberately moves her cameras to peer above the fence and aimed at my house again, is there anything I can do about that? My reasoning, and I got pictures, is that if she thought she needed those cameras to "protect" her property or whatever, they were doing their job at that level, but if she purposely moves them after the fence install, wouldn't that prove intent or at least harassment??? Just don't know what her dadgum problem is. We've never been confrontational or anything like that. She had been a good neighbor for years and then just snapped for some reason. Cops have been out to my house 3 times because of her never ending harassment. For example, filming me with her tablet standing in her front yard while I'm cutting my grass. Yeah, it's like that.

Oklahoma statute §21-1171, commonly known as the "Peeping Tom" law, prohibits the use of video equipment in a clandestine manner to record others without consent in an areas where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy

https://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2014/title-21/section-21-1171/

A. Every person who hides, waits or otherwise loiters in the vicinity of any private dwelling house, apartment building, any other place of residence, or in the vicinity of any locker room, dressing room, restroom or any other place where a person has a right to a reasonable expectation of privacy, with the unlawful and willful intent to watch, gaze, or look upon any person in a clandestine manner, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor. The violator shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not more than one (1) year, or by a fine not to exceed Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

B. Every person who uses photographic, electronic or video equipment in a clandestine manner for any illegal, illegitimate, prurient, lewd or lascivious purpose with the unlawful and willful intent to view, watch, gaze or look upon any person without the knowledge and consent of such person when the person viewed is in a place where there is a right to a reasonable expectation of privacy, or who publishes or distributes any image obtained from such act, shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a felony. The violator shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term of not more than five (5) years, or by a fine not exceeding Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

C. Every person who uses photographic, electronic or video equipment in a clandestine manner for any illegal, illegitimate, prurient, lewd or lascivious purpose with the unlawful and willful intent to view, watch, gaze or look upon any person and capture an image of a private area of a person without the knowledge and consent of such person and knowingly does so under circumstances in which a reasonable person would believe that the private area of the person would not be visible to the public, regardless of whether the person is in a public or private place shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor. The violator shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of not more than one (1) year, or by a fine not exceeding Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.

D. As used in this section, the phrase "private area of the person" means the naked or undergarment-clad genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or any portion of the areola of the female breast of that individual.

Last edited:
That's nuts. I'd consult an attorney. You should have some expectation of privacy in your own yard. Good luck.

Better yet, if the fence is tall and solid enough to afford a reasonable expectation of privacy, you should mow in your underwear. That would bump up her offense.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
For example, filming me with her tablet standing in her front yard while I'm cutting my grass. Yeah, it's like that.

Try to put a shirt on next time?
shocked.gif

Your neighbor is probably literally crazy. As in, suffering from a medically recognized mental disorder. This is a big problem.

In my experience, the system isn't going to want to get involved. They might even kind of sympathize. Not truly involved anyway. Sounds like some form of paranoid schizophrenia at play here.

Part of me wants to tell you to find a way to trigger something in her that will make her want to move, but a larger part of me is afraid of the results being on the front page of national news sites.

I would definitely get my own cameras to see what that nutjob is up to around your house when you aren't home.

You should consult a lawyer and see if they recommend talking to your District Attorney on specific statutes that might apply. If you haven't yet, you need to get some camera's on your property to make sure she isn't sneaking on your property, taking stuff, vandalizing. My guess is with your new fence she will def reposition her cameras and might start trespassing. Being proactive, with your own evidence is the only thing you can do until she crosses the line of stalking, harassment, false report, trespassing via a camera aimed only on your own property. Part of being proactive is like I said having lawyer and a plan of action with all the relevant people aware and involved (police, DA, etc).

You should be aware of how commitments could work (via police) or how restraining order would work with her living next door. What's her family situation? Is she alone, are her kids far away? They might not know what is going on or not want to address that her mental health is diminishing. Unfortunately, this most likely WILL (not if, when) escalate into illegal activity somewhere. Be prepared.

All during this time you need to be passionately dispassionate about what she is doing and not engage or escalate. Even one time blowing up on her, being in her yard can kill all your credibility that you are the victim. Hopefully you are in a smaller town where this can be handled with more attention than a larger municipality.

Remember the golden rule in court - it's not what you know, it's what you can prove. Work towards this and don't get distracted with playing her games, escalating but keep your eye on being vigilant and gathering your own evidence and keeping everyone aware of what is happening.

Good luck and hope it all works out.

Keep us posted.

PS/Edit: If you carry, do not open carry. If she feels threatened and you do not have video proof you did not "intimidate" her you can be in a world of hurt. Personal matter if you carry or not and nothing wrong being prepared (concealed carry) but again, eye on the goal of documenting you are the victim.

Last edited:
Normal behavior, NO

But as others have said, she most likely has some mental issue.
How old is she ?
Any family ever visit her ?

You putting up a privacy fence sounds like a good action for you to take.
Looks like your willing to spend some money to deescalate the situation.

In addition to my first response I would also document the location of the cameras both prior to and after the fence is put up. This will give you more proof of intent if you find that she raised the cameras once the fence went up.

She's in her mid 70's. Walks around in a mu-mu all the time when she is out, which is hardly ever, except when I'm outside. All this started after she had replacement knee surgery about 5 years ago. I had suspected opioid addiction. What's even weirder, her daughter and new husband, live there. They have 3 kids probably 10 and younger. They NEVER EVER come outside, not even in the back yard. That husband gets home from work and then goes inside and never comes out either. The whole thing just freaks me out.
I plan on taking detail pictures of the camera locations prior to fence build.
BMW....THANKS FOR THAT!!!!! I have had the police there because of some kraph she pulled and they were amazed how many cameras they had out. They even took pictures of them, but nothing came from it. Now, she put these super bright LED lights that are on ALL night. Luckily I don't have any windows or bedrooms on that side of the house, but when you go out at night, BAM...in your face lights.
So, let's say I bring up that statute and I'm right, what happens then?? I have to get a lawyer? Police do something about it?

Originally Posted by Kestas
Random thought.... aim laser lights into her cameras?

You just beat me to it. Buy the most high intensity laser you can find on the web and zap the cameras. You might be able to burn them out if its strong enough.

Another thought is to install mirrors that beam blinding sunlight back at her. LOL.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Open Carry in Oklahoma? Cut the grass in a camouflage speedo,have a blue lives matter t shirt on with a revolver on your hip.

If you're on your own property, you don't need an open carry law, or concealed carry permit. On any private property not open to the general public and with the owner's consent you don't need a CCW permit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back