Safe(r) Alternative to Roundup??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went the vinegar route in the back yard for a while, because we have a dog. But it just doesn't work anywhere near as well as the Spectricide. So that's what we use now. They're gone in a couple days with no ill effects on the pooch. He stays away because he hates the smell. I worry more about Pigeon poop. That stuff is NASTY, and could make a maggot puke!

So one guy mentioned epson salt which in low dose use is a fertilizer … if you mean sodium chloride … Wonder if that has any more or less residual effects in the soil than roundup …

Our useable ground water is only 60' to 80' deep … and our oaks feed very shallow … so ways to minimize the use of all of the above is worth it …

Spraying full-strength white vinegar, or diluted acetic acid, with a little dish soap added works for me, but I don't have a huge problem with weeds.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Originally Posted by deanm11

We make our own - it's vinegar, epsom salt and dawn dish soap. Pop it in the backpack powered sprayer and off we go. It will burn grass as roundup does.. I think you substitute regular salt. There are 'recipes' out there but can lookup the proportions we use.

This is what we use most of the time. Nukes anything it touches (grass, weeds, etc) but needs to be reapplied periodically.

I'll have to try this out on some cattails. Not really wanting to use a weed killer if I don't have to.

Originally Posted by klt1986
Are there any safe or safer alternatives that are commercially available to keep weeds under control?

Does gas and a match qualify?
wink.gif

The product is still legal here; I can't speak for Rolla's experience in Quebec. Quantifying something as safe or safer is always difficult. What are you trying to keep down? I use 2,4-D as well.

Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by klt1986
Are there any safe or safer alternatives that are commercially available to keep weeds under control?

Does gas and a match qualify?
wink.gif

Kerosene works well. I usually take the dirty stuff I use for gun cleaning, and dump it on any weeds I find. They go away quickly, and nothing grows in it's place.

Even tiny amounts of brake fluid are nasty on plants, I found out. When I did the calipers on my G back when, I set the cores on the grass by my shed for an hours or so until I boxed everything back up. Brake fluid spilled, and nothing grew there all summer. It must be nasty.
wink.gif

I tried going the salt and vinegar route for a few years, it works, but I have a large gravel driveway and a large property and the past too years I could not keep up. I have also been told that its bad to use salt but I also figured they dump salt like crazy in the winter so whats the difference.

So after a few years of using salt and vinegar weeds started coming up everywhere. So this year I put down pramitol 25e in the worst of the areas, and Gordons barrier in other spots. The thing about Gordons barrier I didn't like is there is glosphate in it so you were spraying ot even on bare areas that didn't need a post emergent.

One thing I have found is roundup and Amine 2 4 d works much better if you adjust the water PH to between 5 and 6. If your PH is off you are wasting money and product. Alot of homeowners mix it "hotter" because it does not work, I am convinced in most cases they just need to adjust the PH of their water.

So I reluctantly used chemicals again and they work great. I do spray some dandelions in the lawn if they start to get too thick in an area. I like dandelions and they have a great benefit, but I try to keep them in check. I just see patches where they are threatening to kill out the lawn and thats where I spray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back