2012 Accord,Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oci had LOTS of short trips,extended idling,and lots of extended highway runs. We did a lot of surveillance cases using this car where we'd sit idling,then sometimes having to jump in,start her up,and take off full blast. Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10W30 SN Plus. Thick oil for the win!!
grin.gif

Enjoy!
[Linked Image]

thumbsup2.gif

Impressive! PPHM FTW! Get rid of the fuel from short-tripping, and I'd say that's about as perfect as you're ever likely to see! Any reason other than short-tripping why you're sticking with 3k OCI?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
thumbsup2.gif

Impressive! PPHM FTW! Get rid of the fuel from short-tripping, and I'd say that's about as perfect as you're ever likely to see! Any reason other than short-tripping why you're sticking with 3k OCI?

Yeah,I guess all the idling and short tripping we're doing while on the job when we take my car. Plus the camshaft was fairly varnished when I first bought it (Carfax showed quickie lube oil changes every 5000 miles at a GTX oil change joint) and the two oci's thus far with PPHM have totally cleaned off every bit of the varnish.

Just put this oil in my 318 a few days ago., replaceing the non HM version.

Pretty sure it is even quieter. Your UOA makes.me happy

In 3000 miles the oil lost Viscosity hot and cold and flashpoint was also lowered. The wear looks good but I would have to try a different oil and see if these improved. Fuel dilution is a little high but not above average but that could have effected it but with lots of idle time could be normal.

Adam, you're such a sucker for thick oil! I think Kendall still sells Nitro 70, which is somewhere just short of asphalt without the rocks
lol.gif

Nothing wrong with a 10w30. Odd, that the OP's vehicle is spec'd a different weight in other countries
wink.gif

Originally Posted by tiger862
In 3000 miles the oil lost Viscosity hot and cold and flashpoint was also lowered. The wear looks good but I would have to try a different oil and see if these improved. Fuel dilution is a little high but not above average but that could have effected it but with lots of idle time could be normal.

Why would you try a different oil for a fuel dilution problem? That'd be as useful as trying a different pair of shoes because your pants don't fit.

If you fix the fuel issue from short trips and insufficient time at full operating temp, the viscosity and flashpoint will fall right into line. If OP had gotten TBN measured and it was above 1.0 (as it certainly should be at 3k miles), even the slightly lower flashpoint & viscosity tell you the oil did a fine job protecting the engine even in the face of fuel dilution. I think OP has a keeper car, and has found the oil his engine really likes.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Nothing wrong with a 10w30. Odd, that the OP's vehicle is spec'd a different weight in other countries
wink.gif

I know there's nothing wrong with 10W30, Adam; that's why I've picked up 4 silver jugs of PP 10W30 and 5 quarts of Amsoil SS 10W30. All these fabulous UOAs on 10W30 and the super low NOACK have given me the itch. This weekend, for my Impreza's 150k mark, she's getting 10W30 after the Kreen flush hits 1k. I'm actually more excited about sending you the Baldwin B7432, NG 7712, NG 7055 used filters along with several virgin EcoGuards and other various filters I've collected for your mad scientist lab to cut open
smile.gif

Why would you try a different oil for a fuel dilution problem? That'd be as useful as trying a different pair of shoes because your pants don't fit.

If you fix the fuel issue from short trips and insufficient time at full operating temp, the viscosity and flashpoint will fall right into line. If OP had gotten TBN measured and it was above 1.0 (as it certainly should be at 3k miles), even the slightly lower flashpoint & viscosity tell you the oil did a fine job protecting the engine even in the face of fuel dilution. I think OP has a keeper car, and has found the oil his engine really likes.

Pennzoil is made from natural gas and in all the UOA shows these trends with fuel dilution. His fuel dilution is in spec as is 1.5 compared to average at 2.0. That is why I say try a different oil and see if these numbers improve. What can it hurt?

I just looked through UOA on this site seen another Honda with 1.0 fuel dilution and only number that were low was flashpoint with a tbn of 3.2. He ran 10k on Mobil 20 grade also short trips.

Pennzoil is made from natural gas and in all the UOA shows these trends with fuel dilution. His fuel dilution is in spec as is 1.5 compared to average at 2.0. That is why I say try a different oil and see if these numbers improve. What can it hurt?

Exactly what importance does having fuel dilution have at all here? His wear numbers, which actually matter because they have a direct impact on the life and longevity of the vehicle, are incredibly low. Therefore, since the fuel dilution is not producing any adverse results, it would be irrational for him to change anything that he is doing, because it would produce no benefit.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Very impressive UOA
thumbsup2.gif

I wouldn't change a thing.
BTW what are you using for oil and air filter?

Oil and air filters are Honda oem from the dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back