Acura/Honda Oil Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda finally admits faulty oil control ring is cause for excessive oil consumption on certain 3.7 engines. This is hot topic on the Acura/Honda forums. One guy said he stopped oil loss using DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) and another guy said he has read reports of DMSO being used on Honda engines in Europe. I can't find any reference to it on the internet. Have any of you heard about this? I'm thinking these guys may be spammers. Thx.

Edit. I found it. Is this better than snake oil? Looks like a good way to ruin your engine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimexide-Motor-Cleaner-100ml-/113083389130

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Years ago DMSO was sold a hair restoring tonic, a guy who came to the coffee shop every night told us he was putting it on his head twice a day. LOL
Course it did nothing just like its not going to do anything in an engine except maybe damage it. A quick google came up with this..

https://www.yummymummyemporium.org/store/p779/organic_sulfur_hair_regrowth_spray_natural.html

A short block or rings is the only way to fix the Honda issue.

I agree Trav, but no way I will let a dealer do either. Seriously, what are the chances of a Honda dealer replacing pistons and rings without creating a host of other problems? Bet most do not have any techs who have ever done that except maybe in school.

What years does this oil consumption problem affect? My wife has had a 2016 Acura RDX 3.7 since new and it now has over 50,000 miles. It doesn't use a drop of Castrol Edge 0W-20 between changes that average 8,000 miles per the oil life monitor.

I feel like quite a few Honda engines had insufficient oil control rings, some even on the 2.4's.

I've had 3 Mazdas since 2007, all 3's, which never burned a drop of oil during an OCI.

Is it still under warranty?

Yes, Honda extended the warranty to lifetime providing owners report problem before September (I'll have to re-read the letter to confirm actual date). Dealer will perform an oil consumption test. Honda considers up to 1 qt per 1000 miles normal. TSB details procedure to replace pistons and rings. My guess is most dealers will, at their own discretion, replace the short block instead.

Originally Posted by artbuc
Years ago DMSO was sold a hair restoring tonic, a guy who came to the coffee shop every night told us he was putting it on his head twice a day. LOL
Course it did nothing just like its not going to do anything in an engine except maybe damage it. A quick google came up with this..

https://www.yummymummyemporium.org/store/p779/organic_sulfur_hair_regrowth_spray_natural.html

A short block or rings is the only way to fix the Honda issue.

I agree Trav, but no way I will let a dealer do either. Seriously, what are the chances of a Honda dealer replacing pistons and rings without creating a host of other problems? Bet most do not have any techs who have ever done that except maybe in school.

What would be your choice then? It sounds like this is under warranty and would be taken care of by Honda.

My question would be, will Honda do the work on the engine itself or just swap a new engine in? The old engine would be rebuilt somewhere else and used for another case.

sound like toyota issue back in the days. Use a quality oil and you can avoid the rings getting clogged up.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken
sound like toyota issue back in the days. Use a quality oil and you can avoid the rings getting clogged up.

Not even close to being true.

O
It is not rings getting clogged, its a problem with the low tension rings they used. Engines with VCM seem to be the most effected.

Just re-read the letter. Warranty is extended to 8yrs/125000 miles if you report by Sept 1. Honda says problem is caused by oil control ring becoming clogged with carbon deposits. Very few affected engines have VCM.

I am posting about the current issue with the 3.7L Acura engines. I am not talking about the Honda class action lawsuit which was settled in 2013. Most of those affected Honda engines did have VCM. I assume, but do not know if, both oil consumption issues have the same root cause.

Last edited:
It is not rings getting clogged, its a problem with the low tension rings they used. Engines with VCM seem to be the most effected.

ok

common problems with older toyotas

I currently own a 99 Avalon and have owned many Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 1974, none of which burned a drop. What you are saying is not true. There was an isolated sludge/gel issue which had nothing to do with piston rings.

I currently own a 99 Avalon and have owned many Toyota and Lexus vehicles since 1974, none of which burned a drop. What you are saying is not true. There was an isolated sludge/gel issue which had nothing to do with piston rings.

The 2AZ-FE 2.4l 4cyl between 2007 and 2011 had this problem, the Camry in my signature being one of the affected vehicles. The rest of the engine will be spotless (mine is) but the oil rings get clogged with carbon deposits and the car burns oil. Just like the old Saturns, it doesn't seem to cause any damage, but mine burns about 1 quart per 1,000 miles. Supposedly can be avoided if a quality synthetic oil is used from new, but Toyota didn't require that so I suspect most owners didn't go that route. Once significant consumption starts, the only fix appears to be piston replacement (I've tried piston soaks and MMO with no effect). Toyota extended the warranty for this issue to 10 years / 150k miles, and they fix it by replacing the pistons. Mine is out of warranty, but I got the car for free. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to just live with the oil consumption or pull it apart and DIY replace the pistons.

Originally Posted by jhs914
What years does this oil consumption problem affect? My wife has had a 2016 Acura RDX 3.7 since new and it now has over 50,000 miles. It doesn't use a drop of Castrol Edge 0W-20 between changes that average 8,000 miles per the oil life monitor.

RDX has 3.5L (J35)
Honda dropped J37 probably so many report of oil consumption on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back