Honda/Acura HTO-06

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am taking my new-to-me 2015 Acura TLX V6 to the dealer for a service bulletin on Friday and it's also due for an oil change. I will plan to take it to my personal mechanic for all non-warranty and service, but it seems silly to not just have the oil changed while it's at the dealership.

While I know that any 0w-20 oil will most likely do the job, I called the dealership to see if they would let me bring in my own oil instead of using the Acura brand oil that they would otherwise use. They said that it wouldn't be an issue. Plan B would have been to get a bottle of the Acura oil to have tested so that I would have a baseline for a UOA.

I was surprised when I looked in the owners manual and it simply called for an API certified oil and didn't list anything else. It seems that most owners manuals would list "SN" or whatever the current equivalent was at the time.

Considering the Honda/Acura HTO-06 specification, it seems like they would list that as at least a recommendation.

I opted to go with my personal favorite Mobil 1 Extended Performance even though it doesn't list HTO-06. It looks like Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 lists HTO-06 on the website (there's actually conflicting information) but I didn't see it listed on the bottles at Walmart or I might have made a different choice simply because I know it's also an excellent choice.

I can't imagine a scenario where Mobil 1 EP wouldn't perform well, so I guess that's my plan. It seemed that the HTO-06 specification wasn't on any of the 0w bottles.

Last edited:
Probably because its a long outdated spec that is far exceeded by probably all API rated oils these days. It was a spec invented for the RDX and its turbocharged I4 many years back.

HTO-06 was created for the first-gen RDX, at the time the only turbo Honda ever sold in the US ever. They wouldn't offer another turbo until the 2016 Civic.

When Honda first released the RDX, they understood that a turbo can't skate by on 0w20 and regular.Turbos have issues that NA engines don't, and the DI turbos are even worse!

Any full synthetic will be just fine in your TLX V6.One suggestion: get the VCMuzzler!

I don't quite understand it, but a lot of owners manuals simply show the ILSAC starburst, which doesn't change with new revisions to the GF spec nor to the API S_ spec. I suppose they assume that the owner will use whatever the current specification is.

I do remember when I had a 1995 Integra GS-R, where the owner's manual called for API SG or SH oil of 5W-30 or 10W-30 depending on ambient temperatures. I called into the 800 answer number in the owner's manual and the operator insisted (in 1997 when SJ was already out) that I had to use an API SG or SH oil. Also said the manual transmission fluid would have to be a 10W-30 or 10W-40 API SF or SG motor oil, which were clearly superceded standards.

Mobil 1 5w30 EP does meet HTO-06 as does the regular M1. I would just use regular Mobil 1 5w30.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-Extended-Performance

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance

The Honda Hot Tube Test was devloped by Honda R&D due to the TEOST test being inadequate. The HTO-06 test was to designed to evaluate the deposit-forming tendency of an oil after aging. (Testing an oil in fresh condition only is not useful.)

Your engine does not require HTO-06, as it was for the turbo RTX. Considering that spec is now 13 years old, and lubricant specs have gotten tighter on their own in the ensuing years, you will be just fine with an SN/SN+. See the attached Honda PowerPoint where they specifically mention the turbo on the HTO-06 page.

Honda Oil PowerPoint

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Your engine does not require HTO-06, as it was for the turbo RTX. Considering that spec is now 13 years old, and lubricant specs have gotten tighter on their own in the ensuing years, you will be just fine with an SN/SN+. See the attached Honda PowerPoint where they specifically mention the turbo on the HTO-06 page.

Honda Oil PowerPoint

havent seen any 0w-30 that carry the HTO-06.

Originally Posted by blackdiamond
I was surprised when I looked in the owners manual and it simply called for an API certified oil and didn't list anything else. It seems that most owners manuals would list "SN" or whatever the current equivalent was at the time.
Why be surprised ? That engine has existed since the early 2000s (3.5L V6 ?) so the primary oil requirement really hasn't needed to change. Plus, one would have to actively seek out motor oil that's "SM" or older. If you walk into Walmart, any auto parts store, etc and buy 1-quart or 5-quart bottles from the automotive area, I'm 99.9% certain you won't find anything older than "SN".

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I'm 99.9% certain you won't find anything older than "SN".

Funny you say that... there is an Orscheln here in town that has oils at least 8-10 years old, I found some QS bottles with a label I had never seen that were API SM! That means they are at least 2010 or older, priced the same as a new SN+ bottle at other places. Wonder why it's still on the shelf?
lol.gif

blackdiamond OP, good choice the M1 Extended Performance. Annual Protection would be decent as well, or the new (not yet here) Mobil1 Turbo oil should be good for turbo's too.
The thing to look for in an oil is the "GM Turbocharger Coking Test", which is now part of the dexos1 Gen2 approval standards. Any oil that passes that is good.
(The old TEOST test and Honda HTO-06 is obsolete these days.)
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Engi...harger+Protection+and+the...-a0532023053
[Linked Image]

GMcoke.JPG

OFM, that's quite confusing how you cut and pasted... you talk about Mobil 1 Turbo, and put up an ad for it, and then jump to an Amsoil nugget about the coking test. One may be led to believe that your whole post is about Mobil 1 Turbo.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is wrong with the dealers oil?

Not a thing and the OP's engine will last just as long with the same OCI as Honda oil as with the oil of choice.

Originally Posted by CT8
What is wrong with the dealers oil?

I'm a sure nothing at all. I've just been running Mobil 1 EP in my cars and it's performed well in the UOAs that I've done. I figure that if it's good for 15,000 in theory, it should provide a little more margin for whatever the OLM says for OCI. My 2008 Honda Civic would go about 8,000 miles and I run my 2004 Toyota Sequoia up to 10,000 miles at times based on UOA results.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
HTO-06 was created for the first-gen RDX, at the time the only turbo Honda ever sold in the US ever. They wouldn't offer another turbo until the 2016 Civic.

When Honda first released the RDX, they understood that a turbo can't skate by on 0w20 and regular.Turbos have issues that NA engines don't, and the DI turbos are even worse!

Any full synthetic will be just fine in your TLX V6.One suggestion: get the VCMuzzler!

I just took my VCM Controller off for the trip to the dealership. Night and day difference.

Thanks for all of the info. Oil wouldn't be fun if everyone had the same boring opinions and everyone acted on the seemingly common knowledge that any quality oil is likely to perform equally with any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back