Samsung Galaxy Fold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not one to keep up with the Jones' when it comes to mobile phones....and I'm not an Apple fan, with a work issued Apple phone since the 4, and the constant battles with it, OS updates, corporate tracking etc.

Last week upgraded my Samsung old and heavily dropped J5 to a J7 Pro...so mid level is my niche...dual sim, and somewhere to put an SD card of reasonable capacity to keep my music and podcasts on.

But this ended up in my feed today (funny, ordering a J7 Pro, a drop case, and a screen protector on various platforms got multiple mobile phone reviews in my various feeds)....

It's one of those intuitive looking devices that just makes functional sense....

I like the look of it.

And no, I'm not going to take out a mortgage to buy one...

I'm not in for the first gen.

There are compromises: it doesn't fold flat, the front screen is small and awkward looking, there is a visible crease, and long term durability of the flexible plastic screen surface is questionable.

It'll either be a smash hit and I'll buy one in a generation or two, or it will flop and fade into history.

rooflessVW...agreed...

My son just spent a year of dog walking for a phone that's 3 times my J7...I like solid functional.

When the fold is at my personal carry level, screens will be $70 on ebay, and how to replace them will have 100 how tos on youtube.

I have a 5.8" screen on my S8. Plenty big for surfing the internet or watching videos. No phone is worth $2000 (plus ~$150 in sales tax!)

So basically it's an ipad that folds in half? No thanks.
lol.gif

I have a Moto 4E that I paid Boost less than $80 for. It's doing great and I hope to get by until 5G time. A 5"+ screen is big enough for my phone and you can always pick up a cheap tablet for $100 if you need a little more screen space. Can't see ever paying this much for a phone. Or a computer for that matter.

Shannow...I like solid functional..[/quote said:
Updating from my tough Windows Nokia, I went for a Nokia 2.1....because it's significantly heavier than similar sized phones.

When I bought a walkman back in the '80's, I got them all out on the counter, and took the Phillips, because it was the heaviest. The engineer in me wants solid, more solid means more weight to me.

For sooo many reasons, there is no way I'm going to get one of those...

$2000 for the phone? Heck no
"folding" screen that seems like a massive weak point? Pass

.. I'll stop there. Those two reasons alone are enough for me to avoid. My Galaxy S7 Edge will get me through another 2 or 3 years, easy.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
For sooo many reasons, there is no way I'm going to get one of those...

$2000 for the phone? Heck no
"folding" screen that seems like a massive weak point? Pass

.. I'll stop there. Those two reasons alone are enough for me to avoid. My Galaxy S7 Edge will get me through another 2 or 3 years, easy.

Same here. Plus, first attempt may be fraught with issues.

Originally Posted by Silk
When I bought a walkman back in the '80's, I got them all out on the counter, and took the Phillips, because it was the heaviest. The engineer in me wants solid, more solid means more weight to me.

Bell used to put weights in their land-line phones to make them heavier to appear like they were more solidly built. That was explained to me when I worked for Nortel (Northern Telecom) here and went on a Bell Labs tour.

Much like any other new technology, I'll let the early adopters iron out the issues. Then wait for the price drop before I even think about buying one.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Bell used to put weights in their land-line phones to make them heavier to appear like they were more solidly built.

So I'm not alone in my thinking there. Not often I'll buy something light and flimsy, unless I can see the engineering to make it so.

Bell used to put weights in their land-line phones to make them heavier to appear like they were more solidly built.

So I'm not alone in my thinking there. Not often I'll buy something light and flimsy, unless I can see the engineering to make it so.

Not so much the weight, I want it to feel solid, if you know what I mean. If I pick it up, I don't want it to feel like it's flexing. My Asus laptop, even with its aluminum top, has a lot of flex in it, and the bottom is plastic that you can feel flexing. My MacBook Pro doesn't do that.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Not so much the weight, I want it to feel solid, if you know what I mean. If I pick it up, I don't want it to feel like it's flexing. My Asus laptop, even with its aluminum top, has a lot of flex in it, and the bottom is plastic that you can feel flexing. My MacBook Pro doesn't do that.

I noticed that in my Acer Nitro gaming laptop is more solidly built than their entry level units (which I would never buy but have serviced).
Mine you can pick-up by the corner and it won't flex. The entry level certainly bends and makes me wonder what that is doing to the mainboard inside.
crazy2.gif

And no, I always will pay more if something feels solid. The newer TV's bug me. I could care less about thinness, and would like something with a little more meat on it for rigidity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

I noticed that in my Acer Nitro gaming laptop is more solidly built than their entry level units (which I would never buy but have serviced).
Mine you can pick-up by the corner and it won't flex. The entry level certainly bends and makes me wonder what that is doing to the mainboard inside.
crazy2.gif

And no, I always will pay more if something feels solid. The newer TV's bug me. I could care less about thinness, and would like something with a little more meat on it for rigidity.

Yep, I can fling the Pro around and it doesn't move. I breathe on the Asus and it'll flex
lol.gif

I will say my Samsung tv felt way more solid than the vizio it replaced did. The Insignia though, that thing felt like a brick, though that might be a size difference (60" vizio, 55" Samsung, 43" insignia).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back