Recommend me a 7.3 PSD coolant recovery tank!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 7.3 Powerstroke needs a coolant recovery tank. Looking at the reviews on Amazon for OEM and some aftermarket ones, the Dorman seems to have the most and "best" reviews (most of the bad reviews are years old). Even a lot of reviews for the OEM one mentions the seams splitting very shortly.

Ordinarily, I would definitely go OEM for this, but the sheer number of bad reviews has me questioning it. Anyone have good experience with the Dorman brand tank or some other?

Some options:

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-2C3Z-8A...I6CQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-603-2...p_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Premium-FRT1506C-Coolant-Reservoir/dp/B074SH8N66/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1

Ford had a run of tanks that were bad out of the box. They would leak from one of the seams as soon as you filled them with coolant. It took us order 6 for a customer before they got one that worked.

At work we sell the Dorman coolant tanks and give out A LOT of warranty replacements. I wouldn't put Dorman on my car unless I had no other choice.

Last edited:
I'm kind of up in the air about Dorman as well. Some Dorman products I've got worked very well. Others were an absolute disaster. Of course, that can happen with OEM, as has already been illustrated in this thread. OT, but I had the reverse experience with my F-150. The throttle cable snapped. Ford wanted like $100 for a cable. My other supplier had Dorman for like $15. Guess which I picked. Guess which I had to buy anyway a week later when the plastic end cracked to pieces.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I'm kind of up in the air about Dorman as well. Some Dorman products I've got worked very well. Others were an absolute disaster. Of course, that can happen with OEM, as has already been illustrated in this thread. OT, but I had the reverse experience with my F-150. The throttle cable snapped. Ford wanted like $100 for a cable. My other supplier had Dorman for like $15. Guess which I picked. Guess which I had to buy anyway a week later when the plastic end cracked to pieces.
wink.gif

For sure, there are some good Dorman products. But most of the time I find that me or my customers end up disappointed by them sooner than later. I could give you a list of at least 10 problems I've personally had with Dorman products where then using a different brand or the OE part worked perfectly. It's so nice just to have a good quality part that fits right the first time and lasts so you don't have to do the job again shortly after, and Dorman doesn't consistently deliver that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Ford had a run of tanks that were bad out of the box. They would leak from one of the seams as soon as you filled them with coolant. It took us order 6 for a customer before they got one that worked.

Any idea if this issue has been resolved in the more recent production runs of this tank?

Originally Posted by 28oz

Any idea if this issue has been resolved in the more recent production runs of this tank?

They should be good. This was maybe 4-5 months ago. Still have a stack of bad ones waiting for Ford to pay us so we can pay the shop. It was a mobile mechanic who does fleets, awesome job if you can get it btw, and he was a rather large fleet so they want reimbursement.

Originally Posted by 28oz

They should be good. This was maybe 4-5 months ago. Still have a stack of bad ones waiting for Ford to pay us so we can pay the shop. It was a mobile mechanic who does fleets, awesome job if you can get it btw, and he was a rather large fleet so they want reimbursement.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by dogememe
I could give you a list of at least 10 problems I've personally had with Dorman products where then using a different brand or the OE part worked perfectly. It's so nice just to have a good quality part that fits right the first time and lasts so you don't have to do the job again shortly after, and Dorman doesn't consistently deliver that.

A failed Dorman throttle cable during driving was a terrible inconvenience, I must say.
wink.gif
Ironically, I was looking at some MB oil pan drain plugs, and the OEMs were only a quarter of the price of Dorman. That was odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back