Recent Topics
Another SCORE !!!
by GMguy84 - 06/06/20 02:24 AM
Is it just me...
by daves87rs - 06/06/20 01:26 AM
ICE Future
by js1956 - 06/06/20 01:16 AM
Australia Energy Costs
by Y_K - 06/06/20 12:17 AM
Total Repair Costs over 200,000 miles
by Palut - 06/06/20 12:08 AM
Vredestein will start making American-market specific tires
by slacktide_bitog - 06/05/20 11:33 PM
Fried plantain question
by aquariuscsm - 06/05/20 11:08 PM
Castrol Edge LL IV 0w20, not majority PAO
by wemay - 06/05/20 09:08 PM
Fram Titanium 20k mile oil filters at AAP....
by bbhero - 06/05/20 09:04 PM
D-Day 🇺🇸
by kstanf150 - 06/05/20 08:57 PM
Husqvarna 5.2 ounce 2 stroke oil .39 ymmv
by maintenanceMan - 06/05/20 08:53 PM
Mobil 1 Permazone
by maverickfhs - 06/05/20 07:47 PM
2 stroke oil
by opus - 06/05/20 06:19 PM
McKinney Falls State Park - Austin, TX
by wwillson - 06/05/20 05:22 PM
Gen 5 Rams (2019+)
by The Critic - 06/05/20 05:03 PM
CarQuest R95140 Cut Open
by HX520W - 06/05/20 04:47 PM
2012 Tacoma steering very stiff?
by wagsrk08 - 06/05/20 04:44 PM
"Quick change" sabotage episode
by Kira - 06/05/20 04:40 PM
Newest Members
3Dperf, LouK2, Michael328i, tyman, Knot_A_Mekanik
71616 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (ChrisD46, Boxnuts, b1amgm47, Bjornviken, bachman, 3 invisible), 702 guests, and 38 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics306,277
Posts5,289,433
Members71,616
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shell 91 VS Ethanol free #5077891 04/17/19 02:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Z
zmelli Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 318
So I was wondering, with the price of 91 so high these days, the Pic-Quik station where I live sells 91 Octane Ethanol Free for the same price as SHELL super duper Gas! I was thinking about using the Ethanol Free to possibly get a little more Fuel Economy out of it.

However Pic-QuiK Fuels is not on the Top-Tier-Gas list. So will running a Ethanol Free that may not have detergents or a small amount be worse that just sticking with the Shell?

Any thoughts.

Thanks,. I think I posted this on the wrong forum?

Last edited by zmelli; 04/17/19 03:00 PM.

06 Acura TSX 6-Speed/ASM 0W40/js C809j
93 Honda Accord 0W-40Edge/Micro T7316

"Dr House - the concept you have about me won't change who I am, but it will change my concept of you"

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5077911 04/17/19 03:15 PM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,494
M
MParr Offline
Offline
M
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 1,494
Go with the ethanol free. Top tier doesn’t get you very much.


2019 VW Tiguan SE 2.0 TSI Now: Castrol Pro OE LL IV 0W20 & OE VW
2020 F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD 2.7 Ecoboost. FF & OE filter
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5077922 04/17/19 03:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,881
E
Eddie Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,881
There is detergents in NON- Tier fuel, just not as much. The government mandates a minimal amount in all gas. Ed


2014 CX5 Touring 2.5L :-)
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5077925 04/17/19 03:36 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,030
P
Pelican Offline
Offline
P
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,030
Here in Ontario Shell 91 is ethanol free and as far as I know all brands 91 & higher are ethanol free.
Is it not so in the US?

Last edited by Pelican; 04/17/19 03:37 PM.
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5077952 04/17/19 04:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,266
RDY4WAR Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,266
I used to be an E-free nutswinger years ago. I actually went on a several month study back then to prove the E-free was better. The results completely changed the way I view ethanol fuels.

The car was a 1992 Mustang with a 347ci SBF that made 485 rwhp at 7300 rpm with 93 pump gas. I did a direct swap of the two fuels, E10 and E-free 93 octane pump gas, on the dyno. I tuned the car with both fuels to the jagged edge and the engine withstood slightly more timing with E10. This was reflected in E10 actually making slightly more power (485 rwhp vs 481 rwhp). Exhaust gas temperatures were slightly lower with E10. The air/fuel ratio was right on 12.5:1 for both fuels.

I took the car on a rather long drive down the interstate from one gas station to another, filling up with E10 on it's tune the first trip and E-free the second time on it's tune. The E-free did net a 2.7% increase in mpg, but it was also 11% more expensive so that was a net loss.

I also took two small motorcycle carburetors and put E10 in one and E-free in the other. (in the bowls/floats) I let them sit for 4 months through the winter. I then disassembled both carbs and found no signs of gelling or corrosion.

Ever since then, I just fill up with E10 and don't think about it.


"He who is without oil, shall throw the first rod." - Compressions 9:1
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5078141 04/17/19 07:43 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,300
B
benjy Offline
Offline
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,300
E free gives more power + mpg's because theres more BTU's in it. an easy choice if pricing is similar. here in PA E free is pricey but i use it in my seasonal carb'd equipment. my husky chain saw require high octane + the E free 91 runs better than Shell 93 with E.

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: RDY4WAR] #5078205 04/17/19 08:42 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,443
R
Rolla07 Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 5,443
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
I used to be an E-free nutswinger years ago. I actually went on a several month study back then to prove the E-free was better. The results completely changed the way I view ethanol fuels.

The car was a 1992 Mustang with a 347ci SBF that made 485 rwhp at 7300 rpm with 93 pump gas. I did a direct swap of the two fuels, E10 and E-free 93 octane pump gas, on the dyno. I tuned the car with both fuels to the jagged edge and the engine withstood slightly more timing with E10. This was reflected in E10 actually making slightly more power (485 rwhp vs 481 rwhp). Exhaust gas temperatures were slightly lower with E10. The air/fuel ratio was right on 12.5:1 for both fuels.

I took the car on a rather long drive down the interstate from one gas station to another, filling up with E10 on it's tune the first trip and E-free the second time on it's tune. The E-free did net a 2.7% increase in mpg, but it was also 11% more expensive so that was a net loss.

I also took two small motorcycle carburetors and put E10 in one and E-free in the other. (in the bowls/floats) I let them sit for 4 months through the winter. I then disassembled both carbs and found no signs of gelling or corrosion.

Ever since then, I just fill up with E10 and don't think about it.


This


2007 Corolla Red Pearl 155k miles
PP 0w20 & ST 4967
2015 Toyota Venza Parisian Blue Pearl 25k miles
TGMO 0W20 & OEM filter

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: Rolla07] #5078337 04/17/19 10:46 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,048
K
kstanf150 Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,048
Run it
I wish E-free was more affordable where I live

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: Pelican] #5079670 04/19/19 09:15 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,195
RTexasF Offline
Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,195
Originally Posted by Pelican
Here in Ontario Shell 91 is ethanol free and as far as I know all brands 91 & higher are ethanol free.
Is it not so in the US?


Not so. I've never even seen E0 at a gas station. At marinas I have seen it and the price was exorbitant bordering on extortion.

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5079675 04/19/19 09:20 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 498
O
ofelas Offline
Offline
O
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 498


R12 in the summer, Webasto in the winter, and cassette tapes all year.
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: Rolla07] #5080299 04/19/19 09:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Z
zmelli Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 318
Yes, I found this very interesting, maybe the ethanol burns cooler allowing more timing advance. As far as lawn gear goes I will stick with the E0 since it is easier on the gaskets.


06 Acura TSX 6-Speed/ASM 0W40/js C809j
93 Honda Accord 0W-40Edge/Micro T7316

"Dr House - the concept you have about me won't change who I am, but it will change my concept of you"

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5082136 04/21/19 08:02 PM
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,638
S
Spector Offline
Offline
S
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,638
Been using E0 87 octane for several years now, a noticeable difference in MPG although at the current price it is a break even. Increased mileage offset by the higher price.

Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: kstanf150] #5083191 04/22/19 09:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,139
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,139
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Run it
I wish E-free was more affordable where I live



From my experience E0 is usually sold by some mom and pop station with a Podunk gas tank which cannot store ethanol blends without further compromising the fuel.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: zmelli] #5164179 07/18/19 10:06 AM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
W
WylieCoyote Offline
Offline
W
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 738
I'd like to at least be given the choice. The nearest E0 station is quite a haul from Dallas. I'll fill up at the Murphy in Rockwall if I happen to be over there for something else. Otherwise, it's Exxon E-10 for me.


2015 Canyon 3.6
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
2017 Focus ST
Re: Shell 91 VS Ethanol free [Re: WylieCoyote] #5170867 07/25/19 07:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,139
dave1251 Offline
Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 13,139
Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
I'd like to at least be given the choice. The nearest E0 station is quite a haul from Dallas. I'll fill up at the Murphy in Rockwall if I happen to be over there for something else. Otherwise, it's Exxon E-10 for me.



Test that Exxon E-10. I bet it's not E-10 it likely E-3 to E-7.


make the inside of your engine oil cap white.
don't use.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™