Shell Rotella T6 5w-30 SN plus rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think most folks would trust the oil - IMO, the "lukewarm" is just about the LT marketing part - I can't say my 5.3L truck engine has a tougher life than guys I know with sports cars they push real hard ...

Small update, I changed the oil for Rotella MV 5w30 this weekend and went for a 800 km trip.

First few observations: boy, does this oil quiets down the engine! It's running really smooth.

Also, since the oil isn't RC, I was expecting more of a hit on MPG, but on the trip I haven't really seen a difference.

Will do an UOA around 8000 kms.

You'll never be able to measure the difference. I ran a 40 before and before that an ILSAC 30. The difference is obviously there, but it disappears into the background noise. You'll never measure it outside of a lab setting.

What are the thoughts on running this oil in 2019 F-150 with the 3.5 H.O Ecoboost, what is the average oil change interval as well, is this oil good for 7-10K a year?

Originally Posted by Steveinak
What are the thoughts on running this oil in 2019 F-150 with the 3.5 H.O Ecoboost, what is the average oil change interval as well, is this oil good for 7-10K a year?

IMO it would do great in that engine. However I'm not sure it has the certifications that Ford ask for. What does the user manual says?

As for long OCI, that oil is ACEA E6 and has a starting TBN of 11, so it sould do very well in long OCIs.

I currently have 1500km on this oil, I plan to do an UOA at 8000kms.

Originally Posted by jbutch

IMO it would do great in that engine. However I'm not sure it has the certifications that Ford ask for. What does the user manual says?

As for long OCI, that oil is ACEA E6 and has a starting TBN of 11, so it sould do very well in long OCIs.

Just states API SN 5W-30 or 0W-30

So it shouldn't void your warranty.

Can't say how well it performs until I get the uoa, but it runs pretty smooth and quiet. The QSUD would runs smooth and quiet as well, but it would shear in a 20 grade pretty fast and get louder in the process.

The RMV shouldn't shear as much (hopefully) because it is not a GF5 or RC oil.

So it shouldn't void your warranty.

Can't say how well it performs until I get the uoa, but it runs pretty smooth and quiet. The QSUD would runs smooth and quiet as well, but it would shear in a 20 grade pretty fast and get louder in the process.

The RMV shouldn't shear as much (hopefully) because it is not a GF5 or RC oil.

Sorry, Im thinking about the new oil they came out with--Rotella Gas Truck synthetic in 5W-30 flavor, its SN+, so im guessing that will fit the bill as well? I found Ford specs as WSS-M2C946-B1

Last edited:
Using something with the actual Ford number on it would be best. Nonetheless, I would have confidence in the Rotella Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 in the application. I suspect its main problem is having higher HTHS than what Ford would prefer for fuel economy testing. The Rotella Gas Truck would be a more correct fit in that regard.

Since we talking about both RMV and SGT, here is a spreadsheet with several Shell products I posted a while back. Enjoy and sorry it's a repeat.

D2AB435A-0D44-4A98-B4F3-6C1B949F44DE.jpeg

I was looking at the multi vehicle, but it doesn't have any Molly. Does anyone know what the Molly content of mobil 5w30 is . The gas truck 5w30 looks good wish the D1G2 5w30s had better / higher hths # .

I have 20 quarts of Delo xle 10-30 that's sn plus that Walmart clearanced out for $5 for a 10 quart jug. I know it's not 5-30 but I'm gonna use it in my altima cause I've got nothing to lose as far as comsumption goes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
Originally Posted by Crobinson16
I was looking at the multi vehicle, but it doesn't have any Molly.

I wouldn't worry about that. HDEOs customarily have no moly.

I've seen that a couple of times, but what is the reasoning behind it? The lack of moly is the only thing I do not like about this oil as moly is supposed to be great for timing chains. Unless the boron helps for the timing chain as well?

First, I'm not sure there was ever the same impetus for friction modification in diesels that there has been in gasoline engines, especially historically. Also, at least one major spec historically had forbidden moly. I wouldn't worry in the least about the AW capabilities of an E6 type HDEO.

This is a pdf document I found on the API website. This a screenshot so confirmed.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Navi
This is a pdf document I found on the API website. This a screenshot so confirmed.

[Linked Image]

If you look at the first post, this is what started the whole thread
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back