Anyone washes car in the rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may sound a silly question but I live in an apt complex where I do not have access to running water in the parking lot. The carwashes in my neighborhood are an expensive joke. I am trying to gather the courage to wash and do basic detail of my cars before pollen season is in full bloom. It is going to rain pretty well for the next 4 days so I was thinking, I can wash my cars while it is raining.

Is it a good idea or I am going to make a fool out of myself?

I have NEVER washed my car myself.

sure if its not too dirty. i use a very wet rag + a small bucket of water or wool mitt then pull it in my garage or if rain is ending just wipe it dry. a penny saved is just that. i hang my wash out as well as is uncommon these days + burn coal the best cheapest heat there is living in the coal region

If you don't wash your car often, then doing it in the rain CAN be a useful thing to do, to get the build-up off the car and leave it with (at least relatively) clean paint. I have washed my car in the rain in the past, using the rain to clean off the suds, etc..

BUT, however you do it, you'll almost certainly end up with water on the car after you're done. In my case, I always have a bottle of ready-to-use "waterless wash" in my detailing stash, and use it to go over the car after the rain stops, to give it a final wipe-down and remove any remaining water beading, water spots, etc..

Originally Posted by kschachn
Rain water should not spot or bead if the car is clean. especially if it has been raining for a while.

It has been raining for two days so it has already cleaned up the car but there is always fine dust on the car that I can feel if I wipe my finger. I plan to clay bar the car (for the first time) and apply some wax afterward.

Do you folks mean to say that there will be water spots afterward? Since I have never gotten my feet wet in this business, I have absolutely no idea what are the 'effects' of washing car in the rain? Sure I can haul 2 homer bucketful of water but thought I could just use rainwater to rinse it.

If it is not a good idea, someone please explain why, instead of asking if I am serious.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Originally Posted by Phishin
Are you serious?
X2

Guys,
My first wash in a bucket on my '04 Hyundai Elantra, 1 month fresh into my house, after I soap and sponge the body, I cleaned the wheels (same sponge), than dumped the water on top of the car. Yup with grit, gray water stuff, etc etc..
It seem like a good idea at the moment. I didn't own a garden hose long enough yet. (Luckily, even Hyundai factory paint of the time could handle a newbie , sleep-deprived like me)

I also washed that car in the rain 2 time. Rain water around Chicago will always leave a bit of mineral/white film if water not dried.....

Nothing wrong with asking a question and learning from it if you didn't know better until that moment....

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
This may sound a silly question but I live in an apt complex where I do not have access to running water in the parking lot. The carwashes in my neighborhood are an expensive joke. I am trying to gather the courage to wash and do basic detail of my cars before pollen season is in full bloom. It is going to rain pretty well for the next 4 days so I was thinking, I can wash my cars while it is raining.

Is it a good idea or I am going to make a fool out of myself?

I have NEVER washed my car myself.

You can do it and will look like a fool. But the rain needs to be hard enough to properly wash off the soap.

Go to a self serve car wash that condones bucket washing.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ32CqvgtMA

I live in the city and park on the street and always wash my car in the rain. I wear my running clothes and a hat and flip flops, and take a bucket of water, a rag and car wash soap in a spray bottle. I usually also take an old cat litter jug full of water to dump on the car in various spots to flush out tree junk, and help rinse off some soap from the wheels etc.

Gotta love NY. I wouldn't do it, I would find alternatives.

You are probably going to scratch your paint. Maybe you should invest in ceramic coating for your vehicle. It's supposed to keep the vehicle cleaner for longer with rain washing off most of the dirt.

Originally Posted by JC1
You are probably going to scratch your paint. ...

cheers3.gif

Per OP's signature, he drives an '15 and '06. I think the new car paint feel-ggod wear out long time ago....

Or you can instead wash it like I do, religiously. That is I wash rain or shine every Easter and Christmas, whether it needs it or not.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Rain water should not spot or bead if the car is clean. especially if it has been raining for a while.

High winds and dust often precede rain in the southwest. We have seen "MUD RAIN" often in New Mexico. A mess that exceeds spots or beads considerably!

And y'all make fun of southern folks....bless
I feel better already !!...³...³...³ðŸ¤£

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back