Castrol Edge 5W-30 SN Plus (VOA)

Looks mostly the same as the d1G2 version I posted last year. Probably nothing more than batch variation between them.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 SN Plus / dexos1 Gen2

Code

SN Plus/d1G2 SN/d1G2

Copper 0 0

Iron 1 1

Chromium 0 0

Aluminum 0 0

Lead 2 0

Tin 0 0

Silicon 9 5

Sodium 4 0

Potassium 8 4

Boron 60 49

Moly 72 70

Nickel 0 0

Silver 0 0

Titanium 10 9

Calcium 692 907

Magnesium 1498 1492

Zinc 814 715

Phosphorus 689 566

Barium 0 0

Oxidation % 10 10

Nitration % 5 5

Sulfation % 15 17

Visc@100°C 10.3 cSt 10.5 cSt

TAN N/A 2.90

TBN N/A 10.1

PQI 8 3

ISO code 22/20/17 21/19/15

4 micron 28030 17372

6 micron 9727 3650

10 micron 2803 830

14 micron 821 229

18 micron 383 116

21 micron 251 81

38 micron 52 19

50 micron 34 11

Thanks for posting!
01.gif

Their really low Calcium and super-high Magnesium numbers are unlike any other SN Plus / Dexos1 Gen2 VOA I've seen.
So I bought ^this^ a few weeks ago, to try out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Their really low Calcium and super-high Magnesium numbers are unlike any other SN Plus / Dexos1 Gen2 VOA I've seen.

For those who didn't see the first VOA I posted last year, I wanted to assure everyone that I didn't mix up the calcium and magnesium numbers. They are listed accurately. It seems so different from everything else, maybe some are questioning those numbers.

Also, the lab was Milton Cat (based in Massachusetts). I drop off my samples at their Binghamton NY location and they get them to the lab for me. It saves dealing with the USPS.

You are sticking with it continuously. So obviously you're liking the results.
I bought this one, plus other major brands of SN Plus / Dexos oils. My factory-fill is coming out tomorrow and I think you just talked me into using my Castrol Edge 5w30 first.

I had planned to lead-off with Mobil-1 EP. But I don't want to crack the cap seals loose until that rebate check arrives. If it doesn't arrive, I'll return my two jugs of Mobil-1 EP to Walmart.

My Colorado will see Castrol Edge next month too. Except I'm using / trying out the 0W40 there. I'm taking a year-off from blending, inside all my OCIs. Been mixing oils for almost 30 years and it's time to take a vacation from it.

Last edited:

Yes, very much. I'm anxiously awaiting the results from my 13k mile OCI, but the engine sure seems to like it. The little coyote had to "acquire a taste" for it, though. I filled it with 8 qts last May and after 1400 miles, it was down a half quart, so I topped it off. After 7900 miles, I added perhaps 6 ounces (3 oz had been vacuumed out for a sample). It never dropped below the full mark after that.

It turned dark very early in the OCI. When I drained it at 13k, it was kinda ugly but not scary looking. I'll post the UOA results no matter how they turn out, good or bad.

Originally Posted by dustyroads

It turned dark very early in the OCI. When I drained it at 13k, it was kinda ugly but not scary looking.

Next time have six beers and three Schnapp chasers before viewing the oil. That's when the ugly ones start looking pretty good to many.....lol

LOL... check the oil with beer goggles on, huh? I only have a single bottle once in a while, so that won't work. I'm used to seeing black HDEO, so I don't get too worried about the looks of the oil, but it was the darkest PCMO I've ever seen.

I am really liking this oil. I saw someone gave a MSDS and it is group II and group III but that was from 2017. I would guess it has changed since then. I think I am going to give this a try.

Yes, very much. I'm anxiously awaiting the results from my 13k mile OCI, but the engine sure seems to like it. The little coyote had to "acquire a taste" for it, though. I filled it with 8 qts last May and after 1400 miles, it was down a half quart, so I topped it off. After 7900 miles, I added perhaps 6 ounces (3 oz had been vacuumed out for a sample). It never dropped below the full mark after that.

It turned dark very early in the OCI. When I drained it at 13k, it was kinda ugly but not scary looking. I'll post the UOA results no matter how they turn out, good or bad.
How did the oil run in the Coyote then?

Back