2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5T mini-review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Few weeks ago I rented a 2018 Malibu with the same engine, and comparable mileage (very new).
It also returned amazing fuel economy!
If I had to buy a dd to handle traffic and that nonsense, that would be my choice!

Only downside was the acceleration, had me wishing I was in my Lex.
Sometimes it was downright frightening when attempting passes
eek.gif

Try running premium gas. I've noticed turbo cars have lag esp. in the summer with 87 octane.

I ran a few tanks of premium a couple months ago and I really couldn't tell any difference. I followed my wife home from the cabin awhile back and she passed a slowpoke on a 2 lane highway and I was amazed on how fast the Nox got up to speed. I asked my wife how fast she was going after she passed the car and she stated about 85mph (don't tell nobody). She did say the acceleration doesn't slam her into the seat like her old 3.6L Saturn Aura did but it's so seamless that you don't realize how fast your going unless you look at the speedometer (the Nox is much, much quieter than the old Aura). She's very happy with the purchase and that's all that counts. Right fellas?

My wife is out of the country for a few weeks so I've been driving the Nox back and forth to work. So far the MPG has been good, and no issues with the vehicle at all. I drove it a few times during the fun snowstorms we've had here and it does OK with the OEM tires and FWD. I'm guessing that dedicated snow tires would be much better, but my Rav4 is the 'go-to' ride for the bad days. Plus my wife gets to work from home most of the time so the Nox doesn't get driven very much. I can confirm that you can bypass the stop-start feature by putting the gear shift into manual and using the thumb button to select 6th gear and it'll drive/shift normally without stop/start. But I'm finding that stop/start isn't that bad and I'm fine using it. Oh, the 450 mile MPG average is 32 (my camera took a blurry photo). Cheers!

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading your review, and I affirm your assertions on the Equinox.

The dealer gave me one as a loaner when my car was in for service for 6 days. I had a FWD 2019 Equinox LT with the 1.5l engine, and lane keep assist, blind spot alert, and the forward collision avoidance features. The Equinox had 441 miles on the odometer when I picked it up. It had around 900 by the time I returned it.

Having never been in an Equinox ever in my life, I was really impressed by the technology and the ergonomics of the vehicle. The power was anemic - no doubt - but the engine was really quiet, the shifts were smooth, and the gas mileage was impressive. I averaged 29.8mpg over the 6 days I had it. I reset the trip when I picked it up for my own knowledge and reset it each time I added gas.

Fun fact: You can turn OVERRIDE the Engine Stop feature quite easily: Place the gearshifter in the manual shifting position, press up on the shift button until you have selected gear 6, and the car will drive completely normal as if it were in D but not shut off at lights. Thankfully I discovered this on my first day of having the car, because Engine Stop drives me nuts.

All in all, I would recommend this vehicle too. I would consider it one day if they made a hybrid or plug-in hybrid version of it (sorry, my heart is in EV's). It was really nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back