Zip Hinge

Just what are you really looking for those to do for you? Where I live I get 54 inches of rain a year and I don't see those doing a thing for me?

I noticed a couple times when it rained hard the extension comes off the elbow no matter how hard I push them on, I think they don't fit tight because I remove them every time I mow and this has caused a loose fit. I can't screw them on because I have/want to move them to mow so I thought this would keep them in place plus make it easy to move them when I mow.

What about this:
* Extension to divert water away from house
* Drill a 1/2" dia hole thru Extension and hold in place with a Gutter Spike.

I've done this at a Relatives house and it worked for them.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Donald
My guess is after a year or two the downspout will be beat up as its thin aluminum and not made to be handled.

I use some plastic hose.

Got any pics or links, I'm open to suggestions.

The extension is dented up but it's going on 10 years old and I handle it couple times a week during mowing season.

Originally Posted by Dadillac
This is what I used at my previous house
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Amerimax-Dripper-Flipper-30-in-White-Vinyl-Downspout-Extension/1000244811
I bought it for the extesion to keep water away from my foundation. Flipping it up was easy for mowing. They are fairly durable too

Don

Yes those do work well and did last a few years but when we had new gutters installed when we had the roof replaced I made sure they put long enough extensions on that I no longer needed them. I even had the longer one the slides apart.

Thanks for reminding me, if these hinges don't work or last long that is a good option.

A small hole drilled through the top of downspout and extension, then drop a galvanized nail into the hole, they won't fall off yet are easily removed.

Originally Posted by bradepb
A small hole drilled through the top of downspout and extension, then drop a galvanized nail into the hole, they won't fall off yet are easily removed.

Another great idea, I even have some double headed #8 nails.

Thanks.

What about this:
* Extension to divert water away from house
* Drill a 1/2" dia hole thru Extension and hold in place with a Gutter Spike.

I've done this at a Relatives house and it worked for them.

[Linked Image]
Hi 'MasterSolenoid', Where did you purchase the gutter extension used for your 'relative's house'. I like your open trough-like green gutter (metal?) application in the photo. Thanks!

That gutter extension by MasterSolenoid is a RainChute EZ (Google it). I believe it it only available through wet basement contractors and I imagine they charge an arm & leg.

Duffyjr, I think your example will work (no experience). There are examples of building your own on the net as well as lots of other hinge designs.

Good luck. I think there is some kind of "lazy factor" that comes in to play when mowing. One absolutely wants to just keep going without interruptions no matter how trivial. Sacrilege if you have to stop a riding mower and get off to move something, LOL. I know I am guilty of it.

Thanks for the brand name (RainChute EZ). I see it on Basement Contractor's website. Although I already have the hinges for the downspout; I'll not likely need since wanting the 'green' open rain chute since it will pass by less noticed under plant stems/branches in a garden patch -- ripping out the tiny lawn patch so no mowing-- yeah.. Appreciate the reply
doitmyself - Ronnie

That gutter extension by MasterSolenoid is a RainChute EZ (Google it). I believe it it only available through wet basement contractors and I imagine they charge an arm & leg.

Duffyjr, I think your example will work (no experience). There are examples of building your own on the net as well as lots of other hinge designs.

Good luck. I think there is some kind of "lazy factor" that comes in to play when mowing. One absolutely wants to just keep going without interruptions no matter how trivial. Sacrilege if you have to stop a riding mower and get off to move something, LOL. I know I am guilty of it.
I put them on not long after I posted this so basically two full summers of mowing and no issues as long as I don't forget to put them back down after I mow 😎

Back