Fuji bike used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for fun, I bought a used Fuji road bike, model 700, 19inch,supreme, serial no CF1C04309 7x3 gearing.

I guess this is a 2009 model, if anyone can tell from the serial number, let me know.

For 35 bucks it rides ok, needs some tweaking, but hey, it's for backup anyway if someone comes over and needs a bike to ride..

Fujis are great bikes, usually decent components and decent (if a bit heavy and not very polished) frames. Should make a good rider. Post a photo and we can check it out?

My 2006 Raleigh Road Sport Bike (entry level) had a 3x7 gearing. Despite the heavy frame on that bike, I loved the gearing, especially for hills and long flat stretches. My current bike is much lighter overall but only geared at 2x8. It has a big hole in the gearing for climbing hills. Next time around I'll try to get back to 3x7. That's also 3 main sprockets to wear out rather than just 2.

For $35, any road bike that is fully operational is a fine deal - even an old 2x5 ten speed.

Last edited:
Last time I bought a new bike, I was planning to go for a triple ring and the "real" road bikers in my group tried to shame me into getting a double...I was still on the fence when I went to ride a couple of Bianchis, one was a touring bike and the other was an entry level racer. The "racer" felt so whippy and responsive compared to the longer touring bike (which was surely more stable as a result) that there was no choice to be made, and the racer had the double ring.
It was a big change from the beat up old triple ring bike I had been riding, but I think it was good for me in the long run...believe it was a 2X9 but I'd have to look at it to be sure.
Haven't even been on the road bike for 2-3 years, I should probably give it a once over to make sure it's still in working order...it would be hard to sell it because I have good memories of it.

$35, rock it and replace as necessary.

3x7 from 2009 sounds low end. That's not a knock, just that it was old tech back then. Should have cheap components to replace stuff when it wears out. [I can't say much, my bikes are all 3x9's.]

I borrowed a double from a coworker and didn't mind it. For short/fast rides I don't need a granny gear. But it sure is nice on long rides when grinding up some of the larger hills. Depending upon my mood I tend to prefer tight cassette spacing; my bikes run 12-26's on the rear. On easy rides I might wish for wider spacing, but any time I'm on it I prefer the smaller gear jumps.

Chains and cassettes are cheap, bike tools are cheap too. It's no big money to swap parts, well not unless if you feel the need to go high end to save a few grams. I did try to change chainrings on one bike, going from 30/42/52 to 24/38/52, something like that, but the modern front derailleur did not like the change in the middle ring, it kept rubbing on all but a couple of gears, so I wound up going back to a 42.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back