oil for 2019 hyundai 2.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ernied
can anyone tell me if Hyundai recommends conventional or synthic in the 2019 2.4?

NAPA synthetic is on sale this month for $20 for 5 QT. Only a few dollars more than a well known brand conventional.

can anyone tell me if Hyundai recommends conventional or synthic in the 2019 2.4?

Hyundai does not recommend either. Just go by recommendations in manual.

That said, I use synthetic and OEM oil filter.

Your best advice for that engine is running synthetic, after a modest break-in.
I started my 2019 syn run at 3K. Buy a major name-brand for best results. 5W30 is fine for your state year-round.

Last edited:
IMO I'd recommend a synthetic for today's engines and there is lots of great oils on the shelf at your local retailer that will get the job done for not that much more than you would pay for conventional but with the added benefits synthetic provides. The 2.4L engine isn't particularly hard on oil.

Read your owners manual for the correct grade and specifications it calls for.

Last edited:
Hyundai does not specify what type of oil (synthetic or conventional oil) to use.

The owners manual recommends "SAE 5W-20 / API Latest (ILSAC Latest)", but also allows for 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 depending on climate and use.

Have you read your owners manual yet? This information is covered in section 8 (8-7 and 8-9).

Originally Posted by blupupher
Hyundai does not specify what type of oil (synthetic or conventional oil) to use.

The owners manual recommends "SAE 5W-20 / API Latest (ILSAC Latest)", but also allows for 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 depending on climate and use.

Have you read your owners manual yet? This information is covered in section 8 (8-7 and 8-9).

^^^THIS

All hyundai's come from the factory with synthetic oil.
Quaker state - - - - has a special blend for OEM fill.

I dumped ours at 600kms - went with castrol syn 5w-30
Will change again at 3,000kms

Have all three sizes of HyunKia engines in extended family.

Pretty well decided on 6K changes with synthetic or 5K with conventional (SN+ which is really semi-synthetic).

Were I to change myself I'd think a group III is well worth the extra 10% cost. Going to an oil change place, it's probably not worth an extra 100%-- I can get VWB for $10, plus a few bucks for disposal.

new engines are generally test run, but since most "synthetics" are group III highly refined crude oils that may have a little PAO or Ester true synthetic using them from the getgo is fine. depending on the lower temps you are in i would use a 5-30 for colder temps + a 10-30 in warmer weather, both synthetic of course as its minimally more costly

Last edited:

Hyundai doesn't make a recommendation between conv, semi-syn, or syn for the 2019, 2.4. Up to you.

Originally Posted by The_Cams

Hyundai doesn't make a recommendation between conv, semi-syn, or syn for the 2019, 2.4. Up to you.

All of those "engine warranty's for oil related damage" if you use Valvoline/QS/etc. oil exclusively at 4000 oil changes is there for a reason. All SN+ oils are very, very good and the extra money coming into a company for changes that are done a thousand miles early and brand loyalty for the life of the vehicle are far better for their bottom line than the rare oil related engine failure.

Originally Posted by nicholas

And what is your source of that information?

i am going to dump the FF on my kids 2019 tucson with 2.4 at 1k miles. gonna put in PP 5/20 and hyundai filter . with the price of synthetic so close to conventional these days, it does not make sense to me to use any other than synthetic

I heard the dealers mostly run QS synblend in the 2.4. But the factory-fill has been QS conventional.

Many argue that your engine will take a much longer time breaking in, running synthetic from as early as 600kms.

I waited until 3,000 miles to introduce synthetic to my 2.4.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I heard the dealers mostly run QS synblend in the 2.4. But the factory-fill has been QS conventional.

Many argue that your engine will take a much longer time breaking in, running synthetic from as early as 600kms.

I waited until 3,000 miles to introduce synthetic to my 2.4.

Some manufacturers put synthetic oil in as the factory fill. Break in will happen regardless of what oil is in the crankcase.

*0W30 oil now allowed in 2019 owners manual ?? ... I don't think so .
Originally Posted by blupupher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back