Coal powered Tesla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this Tesla west of Banff yesterday. 50% of Alberta's electricity is from coal and another 39% is from natural gas. This fellow is leading the way with his 100 K Tesla.
laugh.gif

73DD1A86-49A9-4648-AD52-A875C2CC31CD.jpeg

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Who

Really

Cares

"Green advocates" love sweeping the facts under the rug to have their air of smuggness projected to all around them.

Yeah to add to that, spend 100k to save say 10k in gas....or just buy a 40k or less gas SUV and spend more in gas but still save ...

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
That's similar to the Priuses (Priii?) around here in the high speed lane doing 75 or better-makes me feel like yelling "You're killing your MPGs!"!
lol.gif

Quick look shows some owners claiming 40mpg at 80mph. Link Not sure if I completely buy it, but I'll buy that at 80mph they are probably getting better mpg than many other vehicles going 65mph--certainly better than most that are doing 80mph with them. It's still costing them less. Hence, still a wise choice of vehicle, speed notwithstanding.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Came across this Tesla west of Banff yesterday. 50% of Alberta's electricity is from coal and another 39% is from natural gas. This fellow is leading the way with his 100 K Tesla.
laugh.gif

Coal powered ? Hope that gets BHO in a twist ! :)

Yep , the air head Greeny Weinies never think where the electricity comes from .

Solar ? What if you wish to charge at night ( most do ) ?

Wind ? What if you wish to charge when the wind is not blowing ?

Some people are clueless ! :-(

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
laugh.gif

Solar ? What if you wish to charge at night ( most do ) ?

Wind ? What if you wish to charge when the wind is not blowing ?

Some people are clueless ! :-(

So energy storage isn't a thing? Huh, the more you know. /s

I don't care, "greenness" is last on my list as a reason to get an electric.

#1 reason to go electric for me is convenience - no gas car compares. You wake up ready to go with a "full tank" every day.
I have multiple businesses that get commutes weekly and visit the gas station 2- sometimes 3 times a week with my commuter
I have multiple vehicles for a long road trip - but if I'm just driving around town never having to go to the station with that vehicle will save me lots of time.

Set aside the fuel/energy cost for a minute and focus on time.
Time =Money and let's use a very low estimate of 10 min a trip for fuel X twice a week x 50 weeks a year = 1000 minutes thats 16 hours a year spent fueling you get back.
Over 5 years thats 80 hours.

#2 performance - until you drive one it's hard to describe how much more responsive they are.

#3 collision avoidance tech -electrics get the latest and greatest, drive around LA for any length of time and the decision making you'll see around you is astonishingly bad. A model 3 would have saved my kid from getting a car totaled when a red light runner took him out from the side. He lost 10K immediately (and learned all about how insurance really works)

#4 choosing where my money goes- I'm sick of paying the bills for despotic regimes and would prefer to fund coal over oil as long as my money stays in the hemisphere.

I've got all kinds of ways I'm "green" outside of my car - for no other reason than it being good business. Some other ways I'm green are
1. a roof full of solar for pool and spa heating (best investment ever for me)
2. all low water/ energy use appliances
3. laundry to lawn grey water
Water conservation is a big deal in so cal

If one cares - After manufacturing the long term greenness is really determined by the energy sources for the fuel/ energy
Interestingly if being green is important only electrics can become greener over time as the grid shifts away from coal/ oil/ natural gas to nukes and other sources.

UD

Even in areas with high coal production battery power vehicles have better lifecycle emissions over most internal combustion cars and get better every day as the grid gets cleaner...

[Linked Image]

I like to point out that some peak electricity is generated with diesel fuel. In those cases, it is considerably more efficient to burn diesel directly in an automotive engine than to have it converted into electricity for electric cars.

Same for natural gas, if there was only a practical way to package it for automotive use.

Great as Tesla is … thinking plug in hybrid would have been more mainstream without them sucking most of the air from the room …

Originally Posted by Kestas
I like to point out that some peak electricity is generated with diesel fuel. In those cases, it is considerably more efficient to burn diesel directly in an automotive engine than to have it converted into electricity for electric cars.

Same for natural gas, if there was only a practical way to package it for automotive use.

At something like 60% less energy per unit that diesel I dont see how it could ever be practical.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
Originally Posted by Kestas
At something like 60% less energy per unit that diesel I dont see how it could ever be practical.

Plus the problem with methane is that you can't liquefy it at room temperature so you lose out on a lot of density.

yup - double whammy on the density front.

Last edited:

Exactly. EV's must sink or swim on their own merits. I absolutely love the way a model S drives. As a driving enthusiast, many EV's have what it takes to be immensely satisfying.

But it's good for all to know that per mile, EV's use more fuel BTU's at the powerplant than a comparable hybrid would if using gas.

Originally Posted by Cujet

But it's good for all to know that per mile, EV's use more fuel BTU's at the powerplant than a comparable hybrid would if using gas.

Are you absolutely sure thats always the case?

UD

Keep it off the grid and long line loss and it works fairly well …
Locomotives are still Diesel/Electric (Hybrid?) … only nowadays AC and VFD …
… insulated gate bipolar transistors … all the good stuff …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back