Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/04/20190416-gdi.html

Screenshot_20190417-072337_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Makes perfect sense.

Notice how the Euro's (That includes FCA) have essentially avoided CVT's?

Honda hasn't really committed one way or another. I wonder this lack of commitment is partly to blame for their drop in reliability rankings?

Great graphic, thanks for sharing it!
Subaru sure stands out for CVT use...I think this was to raise their fleet gas mileage, which was hurt by having an almost all AWD drive lineup (I'd guess that BRZ is a miniscule portion of their sales). I remember that my '96 Outback got truly abysmal mileage for its size, which was a great combo with the fact that it was severely underpowered...but its AWD system was tremendous. Of course, keeping the RPMs low for mileage through CVT programming probably also led to LSPI problems early on with the DIT engines in the FXT and WRX, hence my '14 getting recalled!
Still worried about the reliability of my CVT after a major repair at 80kmiles, luckily covered under a warranty that Subaru had extended after my purchase. I just passed 100kmiles and am on my own now...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Makes perfect sense.

Honda hasn't really committed one way or another. I wonder this lack of commitment is partly to blame for their drop in reliability rankings?

My experience with a CVT was not a good one. That car spent more time on the lift with the trans out than it did on the road.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Makes perfect sense.

Some Euros, such as Audi, dabbled in CVT in early 2000s, but quickly abandoned it. I guess they decided it wasn't worth the hassle or couldn't produce it reliably.

This is quite helpful, as the Mrs and I are car shopping for the first time in 15 years. Buying is a little more complicated than it used to be.

Originally Posted by Rumble
This is quite helpful, as the Mrs and I are car shopping for the first time in 15 years. Buying is a little more complicated than it used to be.

I was in a similar position in 2017 when we bought our CX5. The last time before that was 2000. Yes cars are more complicated but as I got used to all the new stuff I really enjoy driving our car today. A lot of stuff I used to call gimmicky like heated seats and such are really nice. Now that I drive a car with a heads up display it would be hard to not have it in future vehicles.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I find it odd that the Japanese makes don't have start/stop. Traffic in Japan needs it the most.

Mazda incorporated it in 2018 but it's not available in the US market.

Originally Posted by Dave1027
This is why I have no desire for a new vehicle. I don't care for any of those things except maybe the CD player.
smile.gif

That will be a very short list then since CDs have gone the way of the dodo bird.

very good chart. No wonder Toyota has the best quality. Less turbo, less CVT, less GDI, higher reliability.
VW, BMW, all buring oil and carbon accumulation. CVT vs Gear transmisson, I choose Gear.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Rumble

I was in a similar position in 2017 when we bought our CX5. The last time before that was 2000. Yes cars are more complicated but as I got used to all the new stuff I really enjoy driving our car today. A lot of stuff I used to call gimmicky like heated seats and such are really nice. Now that I drive a car with a heads up display it would be hard to not have it in future vehicles.

This is a great chart!

Totally agree. I used to think adaptive cruise was gimmicky and not worth the expense. How that I have it, I don't know if I'd purchase a car without it in the future.

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that 15 years ago, likely 40%+ of Subaru's lineup was turbo'd- you had the Legacy sedan, Legacy/Outback wagons, Forester, WRX &STi that all could be had with turbos. Then along came TGDI and CVTs, and now the only turbos in the lineup are the WRX/STi and Ascent. How lamentable; IMHO the 2005-2009 Legacy GT/OBXT were literally the pinnacle of the "driver's car" while being useful as a daily as well. Hopefully the new FA24 will spread back across the lineup.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
It's amazing to me that 15 years ago, likely 40%+ of Subaru's lineup was turbo'd- you had the Legacy sedan, Legacy/Outback wagons, Forester, WRX &STi that all could be had with turbos.

Fifteen years ago, Subaru's market was much smaller and more enthusiast than just 'I drive A to B'. We considered the Forester XT instead of the 2.5, but a) my girlfriend couldn't drive it with her lead foot, b) it required premium fuel at maybe an extra dollar per gallon and c) there was the whole fuel dilution issue with direct injection in cold winters like we get here. I figured I could buy a used sports car with the difference in cost over the lifetime of the Forester.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back