Questions About Ford’s Mercon V Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. I have some questions about the Ford Mercon V ATF specs. I realize that the OEM fluid is Motorcraft. What I want to know is this, is their much difference between brands of Mercon V ATF or is it a case of use whatever is one sale and change it according to the owners manual? Would Super Tech work in a simalar way to a major name brand? Thanks for the help.

I doubt there's much difference at all between Mercon V's that meet Ford's specifications (ie SuperTech and Castrol). I'd try to use one that claims to meet Ford's Approval. Even so, other major brands probably aren't much different. Last time around I used Amalie Mercon V. All of these should be semi-synthetic. Mobil 1 ATF is a high enough viscosity to meet or exceed Mercon V specs - though much more expensive than the SuperTech and others. At around $4.50/qt the SuperTech is a pretty good deal. That's what I'm using now on my 2001 AX4N.

Valvoline Mercon V, Castrol Mercon V, Royal Purple Max ATF, AMSOIL OE ATF, and Motorcraft Mercon V have all worked well for me in various Fords.

Here's some.

ADA3BBE9-AC65-4483-BD30-9AEC6116FD39.jpeg

I just went through this myself. I don't like how a lot of the fluids now say "recommended for Mercon V applications" instead of how they used to say "Meets Ford specifications"

I don't know if some just don't want to pay Ford for the licensing or what .

Valvoline is one example, I have some old bottles that say "meets or exceeds Ford specs" and I have newer ones that just say "recomended for Mercon V vehicles"

Originally Posted by bradepb
I just went through this myself. I don't like how a lot of the fluids now say "recommended for Mercon V applications" instead of how they used to say "Meets Ford specifications"

I don't know if some just don't want to pay Ford for the licensing or what .

Valvoline is one example, I have some old bottles that say "meets or exceeds Ford specs" and I have newer ones that just say "recomended for Mercon V vehicles"

Valvoline Mercon V used to be a licensed full-synthetic fluid and they dropped the license and apparently now semi-synthetic, but at the end of the day it works just fine.

I don't use Mercon V in my daily driver now, but my previous daily driver - a 2003 Mercury Sable, with the somewhat finicky AX4N transmission - took Mercon V, and for that, my go-to trans fluid was the Castrol Transmax Mercon V. Great stuff.

I would just go with Motorcraft Ford Mercon V. Not much difference in cost. As all ready stated recommended for Mercon V applications. I would rather see meets or exceeds.

Castrol Mercon V in the tranny, Valvoline trans fluid in the transfer case. Both every 30k miles. There is no difference between the licensed brands. Even Pep Boys Proline is licensed (I use in in the power steering pump sometimes.

Mercon V.jpg

Originally Posted by littleant
I would just go with Motorcraft Ford Mercon V. Not much difference in cost. As all ready stated recommended for Mercon V applications. I would rather see meets or exceeds.

This is a unfounded reason not to use quality fluids from reputable blenders.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
I doubt there's much difference at all between Mercon V's that meet Ford's specifications (ie SuperTech and Castrol). I'd try to use one that claims to meet Ford's Approval. Even so, other major brands probably aren't much different. Last time around I used Amalie Mercon V. All of these should be semi-synthetic. Mobil 1 ATF is a high enough viscosity to meet or exceed Mercon V specs - though much more expensive than the SuperTech and others. At around $4.50/qt the SuperTech is a pretty good deal. That's what I'm using now on my 2001 AX4N.

I only know of 2 Mercon V trans fluids that meet Ford specs;Super Tech and Castrol. It actually reads that on the 2 fluid containers.
If I'm not using Motorcraft in my trucks transmission, I will ONLY use the ST, or Castrol.
There maybe be other brands of Mercon V out there that specifically state on their containers they meet Ford specs, I just don't know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back