Which household cleaner degreaser do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OilFilters
I use Super Clean in the purple bottle (Not the same as purple power) in varying strengths for almost anything. Straight, it's much stronger than simple green or anything similar. Diluted (as much as 10:1 or more) it still cleans a lot of things quite well and is much cheaper than most cleaners. A gallon is about $8 at Walmart. It is very common in commercial shops being sold cheaply in 5 gallon and 55 gallon containers.

I use it to clean very, VERY greasy antique engine parts all the time. Full strength just eats grease and oil, but can also damage paint and etch glass.

You can even use it as drain cleaner at full strength...it's mostly sodium hydroxide. (Lye) And it claims to be completely biodegradable. I even have a big bucket I use to soak things, it can be reused over and over again for quite some time.

Thanks for the follow up, I am going to try Super clean next time.

So far I have tried Simple Green, Purple Power, Lestoil and a few others. I still want to try Super Clean, oil eaters and maybe mean green. So far my favorite general purpose cleaner is simple green. Lestoil works great also but I use it for cleaning inside the house like making mop solution and cleaning around the kitchen and bathrooms.

Just wanted to do a follow up to my last post. I bought a bottle of Super Clean to try out based on Oilfilter's recommendation at the top of this page. After 6 weeks of testing it out at a few different dilution rates, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and Super Clean has beaten out all of the other all purpose cleaners I have tried at this point. My preferred dilution is about a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio but 1:1 would work great for really tough cleaning tasks. At full strength, Super clean will degrease an engine better than gunk engine brite.

The only downsides I can find with Super Clean are that it doesn't smell as nice as Simple Green and some of the competition. The smell isn't bad by any means but it just isn't quite as nice as some of the others out there. Super Clean doesn't really have a scent, it just kind of smells like soap with maybe a hint of citrus. Also, when used at less than a 3:1 ratio or so, Super Clean seems to be a little harsher on the throat and lungs than Simple Green or some of the competitors. This is to be expected though, as Super Clean seems to be a much stronger cleaner than the others.

Overall, I highly recommend you give Super Clean a try. I gave it a shot and now I have to figure out what to do with all the other general purpose cleaners I have sitting in my closet.

Originally Posted by AMC
Just wanted to do a follow up to my last post. I bought a bottle of Super Clean to try out based on Oilfilter's recommendation at the top of this page. After 6 weeks of testing it out at a few different dilution rates, I can say that I am thoroughly impressed and Super Clean has beaten out all of the other all purpose cleaners I have tried at this point. My preferred dilution is about a 4:1 or 5:1 ratio but 1:1 would work great for really tough cleaning tasks. At full strength, Super clean will degrease an engine better than gunk engine brite.

The only downsides I can find with Super Clean are that it doesn't smell as nice as Simple Green and some of the competition. The smell isn't bad by any means but it just isn't quite as nice as some of the others out there. Super Clean doesn't really have a scent, it just kind of smells like soap with maybe a hint of citrus. Also, when used at less than a 3:1 ratio or so, Super Clean seems to be a little harsher on the throat and lungs than Simple Green or some of the competitors. This is to be expected though, as Super Clean seems to be a much stronger cleaner than the others.

Overall, I highly recommend you give Super Clean a try. I gave it a shot and now I have to figure out what to do with all the other general purpose cleaners I have sitting in my closet.

I also find Super Clean to be the best bang for the buck.

I would say its odor is much less offensive than the ammonia-like smell of Purple Power.

Last edited:
AP-9- I concur. Purple power was one of the worst products I have tried yet. It seemed much harder to rinse off than all the others I tried, while not cleaning as well nor smelling as nice as the competition.

Here are my top 3 APC's at this point:

1. Super Clean
2. Simple Green Original Concentrate
3. Lestoil

Purple power was probably the worst. I still want to try oil eaters and mean green.

Some guy (a real standup comic by the way) came though the neighborhood last weekend selling a product called, ADVANAGE.

I was skeptical of his claims but it removed rust on the garage floor, cleans grease, shower doors and glass, windows, etc.

The usual concentration is 20 parts water to 1 part water concentrate, but can be higher for tough cleaning, like grease and oil stains on the garage floor.

Needless to say, I bit and bought a kit that has a scouring pad, spray bottle, and a quart of the concentrate.

I use simple green 50/50 in a spray bottle for most things. In my parts washer I have 50/50 purple simple green.

The Walmarts around here sell a product made in Kentucky called Crown Spray Power. It's crazy cheap and I think it works about as well as anything else I have used. It's surprisingly good on that clammy grease that builds up on kitchen stuff.

Purple Power is hard to beat IMHO. Also, Dollar Tree used to sell LA's Totally Awesome ORANGE concentrate in 1/2 gallon jugs. That stuff not only smelled good, but was an oil/grease eater on contact. At 6:1 dillution, it was a great carpet spot cleaner too.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back