VW Jetta TDI used dieselgate cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by littlehulkster
It's actually a really nice warranty that covers pretty much anything fuel touches and all the emissions parts for out to about 100k, IIRC.

Unless I'm missing something, many of the lower priced versions of these dieselgate cars have 65K on them already. An additional 35K of warranty is not enough to justify the purchase of a $12,000 car.

My last diesel, a 2006 jetta TDI with the PD engine, left me stranded 3 times with major issues. The third time, I advertised the car the same day. It was a wonderful car to drive, with good response, excellent MPG and a very pleasing feel. But I had so many "squawks" with that car, from dragging rear brakes, to outright transmission failure, I finally gave up.

Last edited:
The biggest reason to pass on these, the Golf MK7. You can get a used Golf Wagon for dirt cheap. Forget the diesel, the 1.8 TSI is gold. i don't miss owning a TDI one bit. It may cost a few thousand more than a Jetta wagon but the improvements all around are worth it. 2016 Golf or newer for best infotainment.

After coming from a '03 Golf TDI I would hop on one of these post recall deals like crazy. Until the dieselgate scandal the TDI's were always premium price on the market, now they are the red headed stepchildren so they are being sold on the cheap.

The Pump-Deuse (PD-TDI) were always problematic and are a hard pass in my book, the newer common rail 2.0 I would say yes now that you can get them so cheap. If I didn't have such a short commute I would take a glance.

Originally Posted by dareo
The biggest reason to pass on these, the Golf MK7. You can get a used Golf Wagon for dirt cheap. Forget the diesel, the 1.8 TSI is gold. i don't miss owning a TDI one bit. It may cost a few thousand more than a Jetta wagon but the improvements all around are worth it. 2016 Golf or newer for best infotainment.

To illustrate Dareo's point (please check the couple threads when he got his GSW and his crazy mpg....) last year, in March '18, I bought mine, a dealer demo/courtesy car with 5.7k miles for $13,386 (Illinois taxes included, after a Toyota Yaris trade).
This was a "Want" car. My mpg has been between 19 (winter low digits, lots of snow/ice cleanup) to 32 (local highway Chicago traffic)

Now the most important point:
OP, have you been in the driver seat in the car? If you like it and is a want, you will keep it.

We do have a member with a '03 highly modified Golf TDI with over 300k miles. If memory serves right, user TornadoRED?

Just to clarify, my golf wagon is a stick shift, and that is a big part of why it gets good mileage. I commute 12.5 miles non-highway, like 25 to 50 mph streets with stoplights. Usually gets 32-35 on the readout. Digital readout seems to be 10% optimistic. Real tank to tank averages seem to land right on 30 mpg. If i do freeway runs, 40 mpg is totally possible. The other noteworthy feature of these Mk7s is the power. Not bad stock and i recently installed the GTI IS20 turbo to mine and now its tuned to 274hp/308 torque. That is enough power that i can't floor it unless i'm in 3rd gear or it will spin my michelin winter tires. Just a OEM bolt on turbo, 87 octane rated APR tune, and its a total tire shredder. Still gets same MPG if i'm not trying to get arrested. So yeah, its fast, its cheap, it hauls stuff, no reason to skip the MK7 unless your on a really strict budget.

Bought a 2012 with 32k miles today. It was a manufacturer buyback. Immaculate interior and very good exterior. First car for my son. Manual transmission. 4 new tires. $10k. Don't feel ripped off.
2 year unlimited mileage warranty bumper to bumper.

Originally Posted by Gipple
Bought a 2012 with 32k miles today. It was a manufacturer buyback. Immaculate interior and very good exterior. First car for my son. Manual transmission. 4 new tires. $10k. Don't feel ripped off.
2 year unlimited mileage warranty bumper to bumper.

Sounds very nice esp for a first car! Congrats.

Nice car indeed, post up some pics.

I need a commuter car for work about 100mi round trip but quite a bit of bumper to bumper traffic. I dont really want to join the hybrid band camp but the bumper to bumper part, the TDI wouldn't be nearly as efficient as a comparable hybrid. Also it seems like the TDI engines seem to struggle to get anything over 40mpg in real-world driving. Obviously they will have more 00mph and passing power and fun than a hybrid so maybe thats a good trade off.

My local dealer has a 15' SEL with all the bells and whistles and 20K on the clock for $17,000 + TTL which seems high since I can get an S for $12,000.

Im not worried about the reliability just yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gman2304
I'm interested in buying a late model Jetta TDI wagon. I have found several in my area that seem to be reasonably priced, $6,000 to $9,000 for 2012 to 2015 model years with 50K to 120K miles. My concern is buying one that might fail future emission tests and might need a lot of money to get it emissions compliant. Or, buying one that VW has already paid the owner settlement money, or buying one that VW has fixed and made emissions compliant, or buying one that is supposed to have been disposed of etc. Should I consider a used TDI, or run far away?

With all the choices in cars why would you even consider this one?

Originally Posted by JustinH
Are the basic gas model VW Jettas and Passat's decent cars?

Don't buy a car before 2013 and don't buy a vw that has had 10k oil changes . If you buy a low mile VW and take care of it they last a long time . I myself will never buy a car again with over 5k miles.

Originally Posted by marine65
I'm interested in buying a late model Jetta TDI wagon. I have found several in my area that seem to be reasonably priced, $6,000 to $9,000 for 2012 to 2015 model years with 50K to 120K miles. My concern is buying one that might fail future emission tests and might need a lot of money to get it emissions compliant. Or, buying one that VW has already paid the owner settlement money, or buying one that VW has fixed and made emissions compliant, or buying one that is supposed to have been disposed of etc. Should I consider a used TDI, or run far away?

Because they are really good cars!

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by marine65

Because they are really good cars!

The old ALH TDI sure, but the common rail ones? Nah, they're riddled with HPFP and DPF failures.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

Don't buy a car before 2013 and don't buy a vw that has had 10k oil changes . If you buy a low mile VW and take care of it they last a long time . I myself will never buy a car again with over 5k miles.

Seems odd... I did 10k+ OCI's on my 2004 TDi and it went 314k before I sold it. Even had the original camshaft, a small miracle given how many PD engines ate their cams at low miles.

Originally Posted by Kjmack

KjMack,
could you elaborate?

Thank you

I'm currently shopping these two models and not once have I seen reliability as a positive for the current offerings. The only reason why I'm even considering VW is the bumper-to-bumper warranty (6 years/72k miles).

I'm also looking at hybrids in either Honda (Accord) or Toyota (Camry). [censored], I'm even scared of Honda now that their rankings have slipped considerably.

So after my post early last month my '11 E350 was unfortunately totaled out (horrific Mercedes depreciation - despite no airbag deployment it was still totaled at only ~$10k in repair estimate).

Picked up a CPO (2 year/unlimited bumper to bumper) '12 Jetta Sportwagen w/65k miles 2 weeks ago. Entire fuel system, long block and exhaust system are covered until 2023 or 120k miles. $9500 - $10.2k out the door. This has to be by far one of the best used vehicle values I have ever encountered or taken advantage of.

I am pleased as punch with the car so far. Only bad is the tires while having plenty of tread are hard as rocks from sitting for ~1.5-2 years.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
So after my post early last month my '11 E350 was unfortunately totaled out (horrific Mercedes depreciation - despite no airbag deployment it was still totaled at only ~$10k in repair estimate).

Picked up a CPO (2 year/unlimited bumper to bumper) '12 Jetta Sportwagen w/65k miles 2 weeks ago. Entire fuel system, long block and exhaust system are covered until 2023 or 120k miles. $9500 - $10.2k out the door. This has to be by far one of the best used vehicle values I have ever encountered or taken advantage of.

I am pleased as punch with the car so far. Only bad is the tires while having plenty of tread are hard as rocks from sitting for ~1.5-2 years.

Replacement tires must be luck of the draw, especially if they had plenty of tread. My 2013 Golf TDI had new tires and breaks up front when I picked it up a few months ago. There is evidence they just turned the rear rotors as when I put my winter tires on part of the VIN was written on the rotor face in Sharpie.

Congrats either way. The warranty is pretty awesome! This TDI is my first diesel and so far after 6K miles I love it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back