Nissan Rogue rental review

Status
Not open for further replies.
the CVT's are prolly still evolving so if you keep a ride over 100 thou the thoughts of a 3 to 5 thou repair on an older lower value ride is NOT a happy thing IMO. i buy nothing but manual trannied vehicles but if necessary a regular automatic would be my next choice + they are getting scarce as CVT's are cheaper to make hence their popularity with manufacturers

You either like the CVT of you don't. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with these trannys. Most people who have driven my car don't even notice that it's not a regular shiftable tranny. Mainly because we get in the car, start the engine and put the shift lever in gear and drive off normally. I call this the 90ish% of the time. Thus, the CVT acts normally.

I mean, there are people out there that still hate any automatic tranny and will only drive a manual. I learned on a standard tranny but, I prefer an auto.

Last edited:
I am planning to rent a car in near future to drive to Florida and back about 2,000 miles in 3 days. If fuel economy hits around 40 mpg I will save more money than driving my car getting around 22 on hwy. Plus I will save miles on my car so it's a win - win all around unless that 40 mpg becomes 32 or something worse.

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
We wanted to just take a road trip and drive this weekend,so wanted to rent the cheapest thing they had,so we reserved a Malibu.

Why not drive your own cars?

Some ppl. choose to mitigate the wear and tear on their own vehicles by renting something new for longer trips etc.
It also reduces the chances of a major break-down.

My personal reason is variety.
I enjoy trying out the features on newer cars and renting something for any amount of time is far cheaper than any lease/finance option.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
You either like the CVT of you don't. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with these trannys. Most people who have driven my car don't even notice that it's not a regular shiftable tranny. Mainly because we get in the car, start the engine and put the shift lever in gear and drive off normally. I call this the 90ish% of the time. Thus, the CVT acts normally.

I mean, there are people out there that still hate any automatic tranny and will only drive a manual. I learned on a standard tranny but, I prefer an auto.

If the belt was a chain link and not dependant on multiple thin metal bands flexing back/forth with metal teeth riding on them I might be more inclined to trust them because they would be more robust / durable, or if they were using the the heavy duty high torque CVT Nissan developed then I would trust it as explained in this video: https://youtu.be/5jIeSgq7ewI

Until then I need to see proof that they are durable over long periods of time in numbers with their new NS-3 fluid to trust them again after the horror stories of the early ones failing and my aunts in her Juke which has left a bad taste in our mouth in our family. Her Juke didn't even have 60K miles on it.
mad.gif

Last edited:
I agree!

As I stated earlier,
[quote-CharBaby]:My only problem with the NISSAN & it's CVT is their reputation(which does concern me), not any issues with the car itself

Love the car('15 Altima)!
Mine is still on the 7yr/100,000 mile extended PT warranty with a 60K mile service coming up soon. We're not sure if we'll keep the car that long or just get into another vehicle. Since I retired, we have cut down on vehicles. Instead of each of us having our own vehicle(plus the Firebird-summers only), we have just the one DD. My wife wants another SUV.

Last edited:
I really like the Sentra and Altima SR. Is the SR the top of the line package? But of course I'm shopping around for the right 370Z and will buy it once I find it.

I'd agree that Nissan is top of the mark in this segment in terms of comfort behind the wheel. The seating is awesome across their whole product line IMO. To me, other make/models are better in regards to driver visibility. Subaru Foresters, or pretty much all Subarus in general are tops in regards to lack of blind spots, etc.

Again, just another personal opinion based on what I've experienced, but rust/corrosion is still an issue with Nissan. I've got 3-4 areas of body panel rust I have to touch up on our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan. Because of panel fitment issues, these areas caught the spray of road grime enough to erode the paint off and rust. There's also some patches of crusty rust on suspension and structure parts underneath. This van has only seen 2 N.East winters. The Quest is kind of an odd ball though that you don't see many of, so it's almost like an after thought for Nissan. They sold so few they were assembled/imported from Japan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
You either like the CVT of you don't. There doesn't seem to be any middle ground with these trannys.

There are good CVTs and bad CVTs. The Forester's CVT is great and constantly adjusts for the best RPMs for the conditions (though I gather they've buggered it up with fake shift points on the new models), whereas the Rogue we test-drove before we bought the Forester only seemed to want to run the engine at idle or max revs with very little in between.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I really like the Sentra and Altima SR. Is the SR the top of the line package? But of course I'm shopping around for the right 370Z and will buy it once I find it.

In most Nissan vehicles that I am aware of, the SR is the most sporty package above the base trim and sorta in the middle of the Sentra & Altima line. However, in the Versa Note vehicle, the SR is the top. Look at Nissanusa.com and the vehicle line up will show each vehicle trim line in the order of its trim level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back