Recommendation on API "SJ" oil source

LPE

Can anyone recommend a currently available brand of oil that is API "SJ" in quart containers in HD30, 10W30 and 5W30? I prefer to stay away from the current "SN" and "SN+" oils that are currently offered for my small engines. Am I all wrong here looking for this blend? I don't care if it's conventional or synthetic. Thanks.

Briggs and Stratton recommends this for their small engines. A few years ago a new eight HP B&S came with "SN" oil. I didn't like the look of the oil at five hours when I changed the oil. Ran it 20 hours and still didn't like the look of the oil so I sent it out to Blackstone for analysis. It had a lot of aluminum and iron so they recommended changing it sooner. Ran SJ this change and it looked better at 20 hours and tested much better.

I may be stuck with Briggs and Stratton branded oil but they only offer it in 20 oz and 48 oz. bottles. I still find it at farm stores. I also found some Honda branded 10W30 oil at the local marine dealership.

Rotella straight 30W was SJ rated just a few years ago. I don't think anyone uses that designation anymore as it outdated and API won't allow its use.

Originally Posted by LPE
Briggs and Stratton recommends this for their small engines. A few years ago a new eight HP B&S came with "SN" oil. I didn't like the look of the oil at five hours when I changed the oil. Ran it 20 hours and still didn't like the look of the oil so I sent it out to Blackstone for analysis. It had a lot of aluminum and iron so they recommended changing it sooner. Ran SJ this change and it looked better at 20 hours and tested much better.
Is this typical of new small gas engines? It usually seems the first oil always come out gray. I don't believe that is the result of using SN or SN+ oils. That is manufacturing junk that should clear up by now. If the engine is used a little bit around the house, any 5w30 full synthetic or 10w30 will do. If your running it day in and day out, I would use a HDEO 15w40, or 15w50.

Kohler makes a good small engine oil and has lots of zinc. I currently have Rotella t5 10w30 in my Briggs opposed twin but have used Delo LE 5w40, and Pennzoil sae 30 too. That's the problem even with sae 30 is that they get upgraded as well so most of the ones you are going to find on the shelf today are going to be SN rated.

The motorcycle oils's are not SN rated at least none of the ones I've noticed, they've all been prior to SM being rated as SG/SH/SJ.

Originally Posted by NH73
Originally Posted by LPE
Is this typical of new small gas engines? It usually seems the first oil always come out gray. I don't believe that is the result of using SN or SN+ oils. That is manufacturing junk that should clear up by now. If the engine is used a little bit around the house, any 5w30 full synthetic or 10w30 will do. If your running it day in and day out, I would use a HDEO 15w40, or 15w50.

Yes anytime with a new small engine or really any engine you will get some silver like that in the oil but after a few changes it will go away. I bought a new small 30 gallon single stage air compressor that's belt driven and it did the same thing. It's nothing to worry about and it leeches out of the metal until it stops, both my Honda gcv160 and our new Husq. awd push mower w/ Briggs did this when changing the oil.

Based on your climate, just run a heavy duty engine oil in 10W30.

Kohler, John Deere, Yamaha, Suzuki, Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Mercury Marine, Quicksilver marine, all suitable, all good oils, all come in 10W30. All are more robust than your standard passenger 10W30 SN.

Also, the first two oil changes typically on a new small engine is going to be filled with nasty aluminum flakes and glitter. This is across the industry, and not because you ran one engine oil over another. The cheapest SN oil 10W30 you can buy will serve your engine just fine and the engine will last almost forever in your climate with routine oil changes.

Go to Walmart and get some Super Tech HD 30.
Printed On: March 19, 2019
Description
WALMART HD 30 6/1QT WSE
Inspection Information Test Method Typical Value
Gravity, °API
ASTM D287
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) ASTM D4052 0.877
Flash Point, °C
ASTM D92
Flash Point, °F ASTM D92 410
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt
ASTM D445
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt ASTM D445 10.94
Viscosity Index
ASTM D2270
Pour Point, °C (°F) ASTM D5950 -33°C (-27°F)
High Temperature / High Shear Vis at 150°C, cP
ASTM D5481
Noack Volatility, % loss ASTM D6375 6.1
Color
ASTM D1500
Zinc, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.085
Phosphorus, wt. %
ASTM D5185
Calcium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.132
Sulfur, wt. %
ASTM D4951
Magnesium, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.043
Boron, wt. %
ASTM D5185
Molybdenum, wt. % ASTM D5185 0.004
Sulfated Ash, wt. %
ASTM D874
Nitrogen, wt. % ASTM D4629 0.086
TBN, mgKOH/g
ASTM D2896

Claims Information
API SN PLUS
Approved
API SN Approved
API SM
Meets Requirements
API SL Meets Requirements
API SJ, SH, SG, SF, SE, SD, SC
Meets Requirements

Last edited:
A motorcycle oil?
21.gif

Amsoil Small Engine Oil (10w-30, 10w-40)

and

Amsoil Premium Protection (10w-40)

Originally Posted by MolaKule
I am sure our sponsor Pablo could fix you up with a modern oil that offers a lot more protection than an SJ oil would offer:

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2217.pdf

+1 I'm using this in my 30 year old Toro Snow blower, lawnmower and my dad's JD lawn tractor. Excellent results. I change it every 2 years and the oil although darkened is not black and I've noticed a reduction in the glitter found in the engines that don't have filters.

All my air cools get supertech hd30. Zero turn(Kaw engine) gets 15/40 delo and generators get 10/30 sy.The only reason for the 10/30 sy is it may be used in colder weather.

Back