Volvo AWTF-80 SC Aisin WS or RL D6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new to me '13 Volvo XC60 with an Aisin AWTF-80 SC transmission. Volvo recommended fluid is AW-1. Aisin catalog recommends Aisin Type WS which I assume is very similar if not the same as AW1. I would like to run a fluid with a better base stock such as Redline D6. My goal is the longevity of the transmission. I am currently planning a 2x or 3x flush with yearly 1x flushes after that. Vehicle has 129k and was dealer maintained prior.

I am considering using Aisin WS or Redline D6. Looking for thoughts on Redline D6 as a replacement for AW-1 or WS. Any other fluids I should consider?

I would suggest you go to swedespeed and ask questions . They love their Volvo's over there , they have to most of the members have 5 year loans on cars that were used up 5 years ago

Originally Posted by Kjmack
most of the members have 5 year loans on cars that were used up 5 years ago

crackmeup2.gif

But seriously Kjmack, what are your thoughts on Volvo reliability?
28.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
most of the members have 5 year loans on cars that were used up 5 years ago

crackmeup2.gif

But seriously Kjmack, what are your thoughts on Volvo reliability?
28.gif

Still undecided lol. They had a good thing going at one time in their history, then they tried to get fancy and fell on their face and never tried to get up .

I have changed mine more than once, first with genuine volvo fluid then the last time with castrol import trans fluid. Individual testimonies are meaningless in the scheme of things, but I bought mine new and now has 93K and ZERO problems, even running original brake pads. Replaced battery after about 5 years and that is all except tires.

Well Volvo is at the bottom of happy campers list years running . You don't get there by putting out great cars .

Well Volvo is at the bottom of happy campers list years running . You don't get there by putting out great cars .

Those "lists" mean nothing to me. Only my personal experience gets my attention.

Originally Posted by GlennDa5id
Luckly, the topic is the very reliable Aisin automatic transmission

Yup your right . about the only thing that's ok with a volvo . If they did their own tranny they would be laying all over the roads like dead squirrels

Yup your right . about the only thing that's ok with a volvo . If they did their own tranny they would be laying all over the roads like dead squirrels

They and many other makers have been using the Toyota transmission since the 1980s at least. But,overall, Volvos are about average in reliability, with the XC-90 being the most unreliable. So, Volvo aren't the most reliable brand. They aren't the least reliable either, they are somewhere about average. Their smaller cars appear to be more reliable than their larger cars, particularly if you compare the C30 to the XC90. One of the reasons for this could be the increased use of in-car technology, which can often go wrong and be expensive to fix. If we compare it to its rivals, it is more dependable than Audi by quite a way. But, Lexus does top it, even though their RX isn't as dependable as one would have hoped. Ultimately, though, Volvo are an innovative brand that pride themselves on their safety and more recently their green credentials. So, it depends what is more important to you in a car. Regardless, you still wouldn't be making a mistake going for a Volvo.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
36.gif

Your enjoying this aren't you . lol

Mostly because what your saying is what I used to say on these boards years ago.

Glad to see Volvo is still making owners feel strongly (good or bad) about their vehicles
lol.gif

The TF80SC from 2011-on calls for low viscosity AW-1 (JWS 3324). With my 2014 XC60 3.2 I have done some drain & fills with Aisin WS and for the last year and a half have been running Pentosin ATF 1-LV. No change in shift quality compared to FF with either of these fluids.

I have owned a couple of V70s (the T5 was a blast) and currently maintain a 2006 XC70 and and 2008 XC90 for clients. I see a variety of vehicles in my small shop, and in my experience once a European car gets past 10 years old, you are going to have to spend some money to keep them reliable. Whether it's a Volvo or VW/Audi (for example), either stay on top of it or sell it. I have owned a lot of interesting niche vehicles over the years; they usually come with price :)

For those who are "Volvo-friendly", I'll mention my wife and I did Overseas Delivery of our XC60. Definitely worth it; Volvo does an exceptional job.

Originally Posted by XL1200RFan
I have done some drain & fills with Aisin WS and for the last year and a half have been running Pentosin ATF 1-LV. No change in shift quality compared to FF with either of these fluids. .

Any particular reason you started putting in the Pentosin?

For a time, Volvo did use GM trannies in the XC90s, I think it was the 4T65-EV that had the same issues affecting the Chevy/Buick/Pontiac version.

Pentosin claims their ATF1-LV is "fully synthetic high performance Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) for life-time application" etc., etc. While I will not go beyond 30K with it or any other ATF in this trans, I am assuming based on the price point that the Aisin WS fluid is simply a good quality, garden variety WS fluid. The TF-80SC has 6 linear solenoids; being electromagnetic they tend to attract whatever ferrous stuff hasn't been filtered out or picked up by whatever internal magnetic is installed. I want to minimize their wear and keep them as clean as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back