Service Champ Filter Cut Open ~10,000kms

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was off a friends 2018 Ford Escape, with just under 20,000kms on the vehicle (1.5L Ecoboost), she said she had her first oil change at the Jiffy Lube down the road
shocked.gif

OLM was at 20% and she thinks it was about 10,000kms ago.

First off I mangled this filter, won't be winning any beauty contests. It is just slightly too big for my exhaust cutter, but I still tried to use it, then dremeled some of it, then once I was fed up with the whole situation some brute force.

Not sure who makes these filters but one thing that struck me as odd, is when I first took the filter off I couldn't see the ADBV, there is a second set of inlet holes below the ones at the top, then the ABDV was under that. Also the plastic cage on the inside was new to me.

I imagine these are the cheapest of the cheap jobbers at Jiffy.

I put in some PP 0w20 and a XG 3614.

20190416_102403.jpg

20190416_102409.jpg

20190416_103400.jpg

20190416_103407.jpg

20190416_103412.jpg

20190416_103416.jpg

20190416_103422.jpg

20190416_103440.jpg

A couple more pics, the 2018 Ford Escape, 1.5L Ecoboost at least is not user friendly to get that filter out, especially not when the bear at Jiffy lube tightened the heck out of it. I couldn't fit a wrench in there and just took alot of grit and determination to get it off. Then oil drains all over the housing and hoses that sit under it
21.gif

[Linked Image]

The first picture is taken from the ground looking straight up.

[Linked Image]

I also spent a minute trying to figure out if I dropped the bolt gasket, then when I wiped it off saw that there is an integrated gasket made of rubber or silicone or something of the sort.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by mcwilly
I also spent a minute trying to figure out if I dropped the bolt gasket, then when I wiped it off saw that there is an integrated gasket made of rubber or silicone or something of the sort.

Is there supposed to be a gasket ? We have a 1.5L Fusion and I always had slight leakage at the drain bolt. Even using a torque wrench for the "proper" tightening made no difference. I put on a Honda aluminum crush washer last time and it solved the problem. Well, I checked after a week or two or longer (??) and it was good.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Hard to find but I finally came up with some data on the Service Champ that said Efficiency 99% 40 Micron Efficiency.

Only slightly better than filtering the oil through a coffee filter.

That is a Champion Labs filter.
E-core center tube, combo ADV/bypass, filtering = to most OEM.

Nothing spectacular, but nothing really bad either.

Millions of vehicles go hundreds of millions of miles on these things with no issues related to them.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Is there supposed to be a gasket ? We have a 1.5L Fusion and I always had slight leakage at the drain bolt. Even using a torque wrench for the "proper" tightening made no difference. I put on a Honda aluminum crush washer last time and it solved the problem. Well, I checked after a week or two or longer (??) and it was good.

I'm not sure, there was definately no gasket on this 1.5L, I usually flip them and use them twice.

If the gasket stopped the leak, keep using it.

A couple more pics, the 2018 Ford Escape, 1.5L Ecoboost at least is not user friendly to get that filter out, especially not when the bear at Jiffy lube tightened the heck out of it. I couldn't fit a wrench in there and just took alot of grit and determination to get it off. Then oil drains all over the housing and hoses that sit under it
21.gif
.... (Pics excluded for bandwidth and redundancy sake.)
OMG, what a terrible filter location. It reminds me of the Escape 1.6L OF location posted about here. See yt video there. I guess these guys (engineers) either don't learn or just don't care. Ridiculous.

Filter looks ok at ~ 6200 miles. Biggest thing here imo, it uses a nitrile combo which is inferior to separate bypass design, dome or thread end. Likely ok for up to ~5k mile ocis, but wouldn't be my first choice. However, quick lubes/shops using Champ jobber tier filters, with rare exceptions (eg.6607) will get a combo valve.

Thanks for c&p.

The side mounted oil filter is the worst. It seems this became really common when Europe played more of a role with the engineering. The fiesta 1.6L also has this terrible placement.

Some things europeans do really well. Some things they do just flat out suck.

My 89 has the horizontal mounted oil filter and it's right over the front drive shaft so if the guys don't clean it off good is sprays oil every where.

Originally Posted by blupupher
That is a Champion Labs filter.
E-core center tube, combo ADV/bypass, filtering = to most OEM.

Nothing spectacular, but nothing really bad either.

Millions of vehicles go hundreds of millions of miles on these things with no issues related to them.

Plus 1. I'd rather use one of these than some of the no name filters coming from Asia. Champion Labs may have gone through bankruptcy, but it still knows how to manufacture decent filters. But their air filters? I'm not a fan based on those I've ordered from Service Champ.

Thanks for the C&P. What a terrible filter location.

Wonder how much iffy lube pays for these filters when they order them by the tens of thousands.

I hope you're leaving the Ultra on for at least 20,000km.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Duffyjr
My 89 has the horizontal mounted oil filter and it's right over the front drive shaft so if the guys don't clean it off good is sprays oil every where.

Yep, it's super annoying, I own a 95 K1500 and it always makes a mess.

This was off a friends 2018 Ford Escape, with just under 20,000kms on the vehicle (1.5L Ecoboost), she said she had her first oil change at the Jiffy Lube down the road
shocked.gif

First off I mangled this filter, won't be winning any beauty contests. It is just slightly too big for my exhaust cutter, but I still tried to use it, then dremeled some of it, then once I was fed up with the whole situation some brute force.

Not sure who makes these filters but one thing that struck me as odd, is when I first took the filter off I couldn't see the ADBV, there is a second set of inlet holes below the ones at the top, then the ABDV was under that. Also the plastic cage on the inside was new to me.

shocked.gif

21.gif

[Linked Image]

The first picture is taken from the ground looking straight up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well it looks good but I have to wonder how much was actually going through the media and not just leaking through that combo valve.
Did you try to crush it with your hand just curious if its made as cheaply as the extra guards are? Paper glue endcaps look like they're on their pretty good?

Hard to find but I finally came up with some data on the Service Champ that said Efficiency 99% 40 Micron Efficiency.

What filter though, sometimes it's the huge FL1A size.

Originally Posted by eljefino

What filter though, sometimes it's the huge FL1A size.

It was the spec for all service champ filters like shown in the picture above not specific to only one filter number.

The first time I changed the oil/filter on our 1.5L Ecoboost, it was tricky but subsequent changes were no big deal. When I looked at it the first time, I wondered what else I needed to remove to manuever the filter out of there but it looks worse than it is.

While there may be worse filter locations, using the pics including the labyrinth of rubber hoses and tubing around and directly below the filter, it stinks imo. And, I've changed filters on horizontal engine side locations on older Accord and Civic. While admittedly not as clean as thread end up, once on ramps, the filter easily seen and accessed. No rubber hoses and tubing to drain on or work around.

Here's the video of it's older cousin the 1.6L Escape. Guess they thought the 1.6L was so well done, they'de repeat with the 1.5L. Good call.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back