CPAP wearer discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using a CPAP for probably at least 15 years. Still have my original unit with no adjustments. I use one of those face masks that are triangle shaped and cover my nose.

I thought of this because my mask just broke at one of the mounting points so I just ordered a new mask w/headgear, wipes, and some cheek pads to stop the cheek lines from the straps. (something new I am trying)

I am terrible about replacing equipment in a timely manner. I also rarely clean my equipment.

How about other users out there?

The VA sends me a new mask inserts and hose and filters every 4 months. I get a new mask (plastic frame as needed usually they last about a year before the Velcro straps wear out.I just call or e mail VA and they ship me a new one. I have been on CPAP since 2009. Same machine but the VA has ramped up the air pressure a couple of times. I clean the mask every night and the hose about every 5 nights. You can set yourself up for some pretty bad respiratory and sinus infections if that CPAP mask and hose are not kept clean. I use mine without the humidifier as that even means more cleaning to do. I just use a small amount of "hibiclens" anti bacterial soap, soak the parts for about 10 minutes and then rinse with hot water. There are machines that will clean CPAP but they are probably $250.00 or so. You can seriously get ill by not keeping CPAP parts clean.

Newer machines are quieter. Didn't realize it until my wife got a machine. My 8 or so year old machine was downright agricultural compared to hers. So I got a new one and it's much quieter.

I have a machine that I got in 1998. I used it for about a year and gave up. I simply move too much in my sleep. I had pillar implant surgery in 2008 and it has reduced the obstructions and quieted the snoring considerably and I no longer have apnea symptoms.

So, back to the CPAP. I've tried contacting a few agencies with the intention of donating the thing. Due to its age it doesn't seem like any are interested. I sure wish I could find something to do with it other than throw it in the trash.

ZZMan, same here, I have been using one (Resmed S8)since 2005, still on original machine. I have adjusted the pressure myself over the years (higher as I gained weight, lower as I lost).
I replace my nasal pillow every year or so (basically when the straps wear out). I think I have replaced the hose 2-3 times in that timeframe.
I never clean it.
I have changed the filter on the machine 7-8 times.
I use the humidifier in the winter when the air is colder.
Never had any sinus issues.

I should probably have another sleep study done, my insurance won't pay for new supplies till I have one done. But I spend ~$60 a year for masks, and machine still works fine.

I do love my CPAP though, can't sleep without it.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
15 years on the original CPAP and mask?!

No. The machine itself... Sorry

Originally Posted by blupupher
ZZMan, same here, I have been using one since 2005, still on original machine. I have adjusted the pressure myself over the years (higher as I gained weight, .

I thought it takes a computer to change the pressure? I would love mine bumped up a little. I'm too cheap to want to go through another sleep study though.

Originally Posted by ZZman
ZZMan, same here, I have been using one since 2005, still on original machine. I have adjusted the pressure myself over the years (higher as I gained weight, .

I thought it takes a computer to change the pressure? I would love mine bumped up a little. I'm too cheap to want to go through another sleep study though.

What machine do you have? Some you can do yourself, others you need their software.
The Resmed S8 can be done pretty easily.

Just google "adjust pressure on xxxx" and you should get several results.
It is not something you want to just mess with though unless you know a little about what your doing.
As a nurse that works with ventilators and CPAP in emergent situations, I have a decent understanding of it, but it really is not super complicated.

Originally Posted by ZZman

What machine do you have? Some you can do yourself, others you need their software.
The Resmed S8 can be done pretty easily.

Just google "adjust pressure on xxxx" and you should get several results.
It is not something you want to just mess with though unless you know a little about what your doing.
As a nurse that works with ventilators and CPAP in emergent situations, I have a decent understanding of it, but it really is not super complicated.

What are your thoughts on the idea that CPAPs are overprescribed nowadays? In other words it seems like.. if you get a sleep study.. you WILL get a cpap prescription. It doesn't matter if you are perfectly healthy or if you could simply drop a few lbs.. the docs and clinics seem to have a perverse incentive to sell these devices.

What are your thoughts on the idea that CPAPs are overprescribed nowadays? In other words it seems like.. if you get a sleep study.. you WILL get a cpap prescription. It doesn't matter if you are perfectly healthy or if you could simply drop a few lbs.. the docs and clinics seem to have a perverse incentive to sell these devices.

Your statement describes my thoughts exactly. I think that sleep apnea is over diagnosed and CPAPs are over prescribed. But, supposedly the sleep studies are definitive and objective. I've had two and I slept very poorly during both of them. Not sure how much that affects the results of the testing, though.

Originally Posted by DBMaster

Your statement describes my thoughts exactly. I think that sleep apnea is over diagnosed and CPAPs are over prescribed. But, supposedly the sleep studies are definitive and objective. I've had two and I slept very poorly during both of them. Not sure how much that affects the results of the testing, though.

BINGO good point. I doubt anyone will sleep well during a sleep study since you've got wires on your face and you're conscious of the fact that the study is happening.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last year. I tried a CPAP, but couldn't get used to it. For two weeks I barely slept because it felt so awkward wearing one, so I stopped wearing it. The past couple months, I've been on a mission to lose weight. I'm down 30 lbs and already seen improvement in the snoring and sleeping better.

Yes, weight is a big part of needing one or being able to stop using one. But we all know how easy weight goes on and how hard it is to keep it off.

I do know that mine is my cue to go to sleep. If I take an overnight without it, I don't sleep well and suffer though the next day.

So it works for me, for what it's worth. Even after I've lost 50#

I got my doctor (gp) to prescribe me and AutoPAP. It constantly monitors my breathing and adjusts the pressure for my needs automatically. No more sleep studies! I currently run about 11" instead of the 18" the sleep study set me up with.

I don't clean anything ever- just replace the silicone nose pieces about once per month and change the filter every two months. I use the humidifier year-round and just use regular tap water in it. I rinse it out good, but never clean it with soap or anything.

Originally Posted by javacontour
I do know that mine is my cue to go to sleep. If I take an overnight without it, I don't sleep well and suffer though the next day.

So it works for me, for what it's worth.

Same for me....I've been almost 4 years now, spent only 1 night without it and was totally beat the next day.

Although possibly overprescribed, if you have apnea the machines make a huge difference. There's a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes in your body's chemistry that get really really bad (leading to heart attack and stroke), my blood numbers went from dangerous to normal within about 3 weeks. YMMV but if you have apnea do yourself a favor and put the %#(*#@$%_ mask on.

I wanted to add a little anecdote to the discussion. I have been a heavy snorer since I was a kid. Currently, I am not terribly overweight. I have medium to large bone structure, am 6'2", and weigh about 205LB. I weighed less when I had my first sleep study, which my ENT did not want to authorize because he said, "Only big fat guys have sleep apnea." He was an old-school kind of doctor.

If you can possibly alter your sleep habits to stop sleeping on your back you will likely reduce your apnea episodes substantially. I always slept on my back and could not seem to change the habit. Strangely enough, I started falling asleep on the couch and not moving to the bed a number of years ago and found that I ended up sleeping on my side more. That made a difference, too. (I guess I can thank my ex-wife at some point.) I sleep on the couch a lot more than in my bed and I find that I dream more (indicative of REM sleep) and wake up less tired.

As we say on BITOG, "YMMV."

I don't have the obstructive type, I have the type where the brain forgets to tell me to breathe enough at night until my oxygen falls so low I wake up gasping for air.
It's a lot of fun when I forget to wear it. NOT!

I have a ResMed. About 5 years old and it's whisper quiet on the nightstand beside the bed. It has the humidifier and the heated hose to keep the air from condensing in it.
Records data to the SD card so the medical appliance place here can change the settings as needed to keep the Apnea's as low as possible. I think I'm at 0.5/hr with the machine and before I was something like 38/hr

[Linked Image]

With this mask... I replace it once a year to 18 months when it actually needs it but I claim one through insurance every 6 months so I have lots of extra. So now I have one for each day of the week and can clean all the used ones on the weekend rather than every day. Also makes traveling for work more convenient than spending 20 minutes every night cleaning the same mask.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have had one since 2009. I love mine and i feel so much better. I think that some people really need them.

If I had one of these in College i would be a lawyer. Well maybe.

Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back