Rotella T6 5-40, 01 VW ALH, 12,217, 207,217

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your thoughts on these two UOAs? First was 10k, ran 12k after that on Blackstone recommendation.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 49
  • 0 bytes · Views: 43
Last edited:
Your iron is really the only thing here that looks a little out of whack at first glance... until you look at the universal averages. There, you will find that this engine seems to make right around 5ppm FE/1k miles, which means at ~12k you would be perfectly normal in the 60-62ppm Fe range. However, you are at 55ppm, which means your engine is shedding less, which is a good thing. Go to 14k, or get crazy and go to 15. There's no real worry with how low the rest of the wear metals are; iron becomes a concern over 150ppm, and viscosity and TBN are still great. That oil had plenty of life left at 12k.

Since its a PD engine...and he is not using vw504/507 oil....that Fe could be from his camshafts
smile.gif

I'm actually not PD, good thought though! To my knowledge, most any synthetic 5-40 diesel oil is acceptable in these. When I pulled the head at 172k, the cam actually looked pretty good. The lifters were shattered but didn't show any unusual wear. Crosshatching in the cylinders looked good too.

And btw...1.9TDI are known to be running forever...just dont extend your OCIs too much....

Because these engines have small oil channels in engine heads...wich can get clogged if you are not a little ocd with OCIs... 10-15kkms MAX!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back