New F-150, Silverado, or Ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
Just a note: I have 3 F150's (2 for work, one for me) . Mostly because I find the seats the most agreeable. A V8, a 3.5EB and a 2.7EB. All SuperCrew. (I drive 30K-40K miles/year, so seat comfort is number 1 for me) The new Ram is good, and I'll consider one. Just came back from an international trip with the 2018 F150 and at no point was I uncomfortable. That's saying a lot!

The V8 has a 87 octane tune and is by far, the most pleasant to live with. Smooth and instant response.
The 3.5EB engine sounds and feels like a UPS truck. I find it unpleasant on longer trips.
The 2.7EB engine is a jewel. Smooth, fast and very powerful. Gets the best MPG by far at about 21-22MPG with me driving.

The 2018 4x4 with 2.7 and 10sp transmission had a very annoying jittery/rubbery ride when new. I wondered how I was going to live with it. HOWEVER, it has settled in and rides extremely well now.

I may purchase another in the near future. I'll probably get another 2.7L. As much as I like the V8, the newer ones "may" not be as robust, with the spray on cylinder bore liners.

Just a point about the 3.5 and how it sounds. Weirdly ford puts engine sounds through the stereo on some 3.5EB models. Mine had it, but I turned it off with the forscan app, much quieter now
smile.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
IMO you won't find a better ride with better seats than the Ram. The interior is also excellent and the U-Connect system is bar none the best offered.

Something we can agree on. I have a 2016 Ram Limited 4x4 (top model) and it is the best riding and appointed truck made - period. The air suspension is smooth as glass and with 58k trouble free miles so far, I am happy. I am going to get a new RAM probably around 2020-21 model and it will be another Limited or Longhorn. Yes, I work for GM but I also realized the RAM was the better truck and I tried to by another Sierra Denali but the plastic interior and price (even with my discount) was more than the RAM. You just can't beat them. The only thing I miss is the GM 6.2L but the Hemi 5.7 is no slouch at 395hp I am only down 25hp to the GM 6.2

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Originally Posted by StevieC
IMO you won't find a better ride with better seats than the Ram. The interior is also excellent and the U-Connect system is bar none the best offered.

Something we can agree on. I have a 2016 Ram Limited 4x4 (top model) and it is the best riding and appointed truck made - period. The air suspension is smooth as glass and with 58k trouble free miles so far, I am happy. I am going to get a new RAM probably around 2020-21 model and it will be another Limited or Longhorn. Yes, I work for GM but I also realized the RAM was the better truck and I tried to by another Sierra Denali but the plastic interior and price (even with my discount) was more than the RAM. You just can't beat them. The only thing I miss is the GM 6.2L but the Hemi 5.7 is no slouch at 395hp I am only down 25hp to the GM 6.2

And the MDS works flawlessly to keep it using as little gas as possible when it's not under heavy load along with the 8-speed transmission that doesn't seem to have issues like some of the other 8,9,10 speeds out there.

ONN: My neighbour is on his 3rd ram. The first 2 both had high mileage with 0 issues which is why he went back and bought this 3rd one almost 2 years ago now.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Basic comments:

You really need to narrow down what your specifics are. Cab configuration. Bed size. V6, V8, or even I4. 2WD or 4WD. Cloth or leather seats. What other items are mandatory for you? Trucks are like Mr. Potatoheads - tons of options and choices, and can be put together how you want and priced accordingly. Part of how an F150 can be anywhere bewtween the very high 20's MSRP to 70. Same platform, different options.

Once you have narrowed it down, go out and drive them in the configuration you want - all of them. Ford, GM, Ram, and Toyota. Willing to bet that will be illuminating. I did that when I shopped in 2016, and quickly decided that the Toyota felt like my 2004 F150 and drank gas like it too, the GM was quiet, but did not like the transmission logic, the Ram rode great and was less expensive with the Hemi for my needs, and the F150 did everything I wanted with an acceptable ride and better gas mileage out of a 2.7 ecoboost, while being a rocketship to add to the fun.

At the end of the day, I took home an F150 with the 2.7. There has not been one day where I have regretted that choice. Go drive an F150 back to back with the 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboosts - and don't have the salesperson tell you which is which. You will be surprised.

Can't truly go "wrong" with any of the Toyota, F150, Ram, or GM trucks. They all have their quirks. Period. Decide which ones you can live with!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MNgopher
Basic comments:

You really need to narrow down what your specifics are. Cab configuration. Bed size. V6, V8, or even I4. 2WD or 4WD. Cloth or leather seats. What other items are mandatory for you?

I pretty much did that already.

Cab? Bed size? Any bed as long as its a Crew Cab. (It will carry 6 adults on occasion)
Engine? Don't care about number of cylinders, I am more concerned with adequate HP.
2WD for sure.
Cloth or leather, but will probably be cloth due to looking for a "mid range" package. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

So now you are at:

Crewcab with any bed length
Any Engine
2wd
Cloth or Leather Seats

Engines alone you have 17 different choices (16 of them are available now) with just GM, Ram, Ford, and Toyota. Some would drop out if you decided what bed length you want.

But you have "narrowed it down".

Best of luck... you are going to be at it a while unless you define exactly what you want.

As an example, here was my criteria when I shopped:

Crewcab with 5.5 +/- foot bed
4x4
Tow Capacity of 7000lbs
Cloth Interior
Minimum 8" Screen for Audio/Backup Camera
Larger Optional gas tank (if available on that model)
Blind Spot Monitoring
Rear Defroster on rear window, sliding rear window
Better Fuel mileage than the truck i was coming from.

With that level of knowledge, it pretty much circled in on a minimum package for any of the trucks that any dealer could put you on quickly. In my case, it meant an F150 XLT F150 with the 302a package, with the tow package, with the optional 36 gallon tank and BLIS. Some of those requirements dropped out one engine option. Same deal for the other manufacturers.

If you walk in with no criteria, the dealers aren't going to give you apples to apples.

But you have "narrowed it down".

Best of luck... you are going to be at it a while unless you define exactly what you want.

I addressed that too. I did say between now and the end of the year I had plenty of time to resarch and gather opinions.

I am searching for the best "best bang for the buck" truck, with ride quality and dependabilty being of higher importance than towing capacity and high tech accesories, for example. I know the configuration I want. I can shop "Crew cab, 2WD, any length bed, mid level package" and get a close comparison. Specific configurations will not impact brand quality.

Once cannot answer such a question without being a "brand loyalist". Otherwise, you wouldn't have asked, and just taken the recommendation of Motortrend, Car & Driver, or your favorite rag.

Ram
Ford
GM

(in that order)

Last edited:
The Dodge looks the best imo. With a truck,it'd have to be a V8 unless it's a Japanese mini truck,and of course those are extinct.

Never understood the attraction of those 4 door shorty beds. Don't really haul much stuff, just people. Might as well get an SUV. A real pickup to me is 2 doors and an 8' bed.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Never understood the attraction of those 4 door shorty beds. Don't really haul much stuff, just people. Might as well get an SUV. A real pickup to me is 2 doors and an 8' bed.

We have a shorter bed and I still managed to haul all the footings and lumber necessary for my cousin to build his deck in one trip on the weekend
21.gif

With dependability being one of the main criteria I am surprised you won't consider a Tundra. That's a pretty proven platform.

You are not a pickup owner-apparently. You can haul PLENTY OF STUFF in a short bed truck. For example-you can haul a mattress. Yes, it hangs over one side but will not fit in to an SUV at all.

Understand?

The good news is you can buy what you want.

I bought the 5.5 foot bed as it meets my needs. My truck fits in a standard size garage. Seats 5 just fine. Carries a bloody deer and can be hosed out when I'm done. Carries sheets of plywood, lumber, sheetrock, etc... just fine. Can load it up with mulch and dirt and wash it out with a hose.

As of the OP, if you are concerned about ride only, then buy a Ram. Reliability only, buy a Toyota. Just be prepared for the tradeoffs, and be willing to accept them. All of the four major truck builders make good trucks. They all have their quirks.

Back in the day single bench seat cabs were fine.
Nowadays, if you leave tools or anything in the bed you are asking for it to be stolen.

Gotta have at least a king cab; double cab is the best way to go.
Single cab is worthless; at least to me.

Originally Posted by CKN

You are not a pickup owner-apparently. You can haul PLENTY OF STUFF in a short bed truck. For example-you can haul a mattress. Yes, it hangs over one side but will not fit in to an SUV at all.

Understand?

Let me think...Over the last 2 years I've had a 2016 Ram RC 8' bed, 2013 F150 RC 8' bed and a '98 Ranger RC long bed. And just as easily as you can haul stuff hanging over the bed of a pickup, you can haul with the rear tailgate of an SUV open. I did have a 2007 F150 crew cab short bed years ago but found it pretty useless for hauling larger loads in one trip. Just see how many contractors or tradesman use the 5.5' bed trucks in their business to tell how useful they. I do see a lot of those on the weekends at the Home Depot by soccer moms doing a mulch run.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Nowadays, if you leave tools or anything in the bed you are asking for it to be stolen.

Have you actually looked at a late model RC? Plenty of room behind the seats for tools and stuff.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk

Have you actually looked at a late model RC? Plenty of room behind the seats for tools and stuff.

[Linked Image]

Looks good; I like it. Way better than the '49 F1 we used to drive...
I prefer the king cab in the 2001 Tundra, but that does look good.
Our old truck has almost 200K and is cherry. So many offer to buy it.
Pretty much perfect for what we need it for and has that Lexus ride and quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back