base oil in Texaco PS fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Texaco UK a few days ago re their base oil formulation for their Cold Climate/Land Rover PAS 14315 PS fluid.
I have some A-RX in it at the moment, and was interested to see if I could use it for the rinse phase. After this reply, obviously not.....

quote:

Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid is a complicated mix of mineral oil, Group III, PAO and Ester.
Trust this assists.

Looks like they have every oil group covered !
Would this be some sort of record ?

Rick.

Nope. Most PS fluids today are blends with majority synthetic oils.

Still can use ARX to clean PS system.

I have found the data sheet for the Texaco PS fluid. It goes by the name Texaco Cold Climate Power Steering Fluid 14315 (product code 02261). This appears to be the same stuff that is sold as the GM Cold Climate fluid under GM part numbers: 12345867 (quart) and 12345866 (pint). This PS fluid meets GM spec. #: 9985835.

The spec sheet is here:Cold Climate PSF 14315 - Product Data Sheet

The following MSDS shows that it has 30-50% Synthetic content. Texaco14315 PSF - MSDS on ChevronTexaco

This appears to be the correct product to use in Saginaw type steering components.

thanks Durango7, that's a more comprehensive PDS than the Caltex Oz one I have.
This fluid originated in the UK and was originally blended for Land Rover, initially as the fluid for the hydraulic anti-roll bar system on the Discovery II (ACE), and is factory fill in all their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back