EZ Oil Drain Valve vs Fumoto valve

I just installed EZ Oil Drain Valve on my cars 2 months ago. I have not done any oil change since installing the valves, but so far so good. No complaints.

I got the ones with removable nipples so that it should not become a cause should anything hits the bottom of the vehicle. Will be using nipples at the times of draining oil and thats it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
How much extra oil drains after you remove the valve?

not enough to matter

Originally Posted By: MarcS
Originally Posted By: Leo99
How much extra oil drains after you remove the valve?

not enough to matter

Wildly platform specific. In some applications the Fumoto leaves a nice thin layer of oil which over many changes creates a thin layer of oily sludge. Sometimes the faster more flushing drain is going to be missed when you open that valve and drain much more slowly.

I would also say in most applications like CAT pumps and Roots-type blowers as well as most cars no one will ever experience this issue or even notice if they did.

I have a Fumoto on a Jeep Cherokee and a EZ on a Dodge Ram Truck. I don't have any trouble with either of them. They work the same. I would just buy whichever one I could find cheaper and easier to find.

Originally Posted By: Boczech
Currently using a Fumoto valve for the past 10 years and have been quite pleased. Developed a small leak due to the gasket getting thin from me unscrewing the valve and letting extra oil drain. Sent an email to the owner of the company looking for a gasket and he kindly took down my information and sent me a pair of gaskets free of charge. Customer service has me sold. :--))

B

Seems like a waste to have a Fumoto valve if you are just gonna unscrew it like a standard drain plug
confused2.gif

That is why I decided not to install one myself, I'm worried about residual oil beneath the threaded portion of the valve. And for my car, it would be quite useful since a crush washer is needed after every change.

I've been using a Fumoto and an EZ valves for three years; Fumoto on the wifes Lexus ES350; and EZ on the Tacoma. The EZ has larger inside diameter and has an O-ring; it drains a little faster but I have not timed it. I don't like that these valves hang so low under the pan. It's not a problem on the Taco because a cross member offers protection from any road debris. However, the Fumoto on the Lexus hangs low; we've not had any issues and no leaks with either valve, but I'm concern what will happen if the Fumoto catches on road debris.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chuy
I've been using a Fumoto and an EZ valves for three years; Fumoto on the wifes Lexus ES350; and EZ on the Tacoma. The EZ has larger inside diameter and has an O-ring; it drains a little faster but I have not timed it. I don't like that these valves hang so low under the pan. It's not a problem on the Taco because a cross member offers protection from any road debris. However, the Fumoto on the Lexus hangs low; we've not had any issues and no leaks with either valve, but I'm concern what will happen if the Fumoto catches on road debris.

If it conerns you, why not remove it?

iv been using a fomoto valve on my 2006 focus 2.0 for years
noticed that ez oil drain valve is made in china which is fumoto valve's knockoffs
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Boczech
Currently using a Fumoto valve for the past 10 years and have been quite pleased. Developed a small leak due to the gasket getting thin from me unscrewing the valve and letting extra oil drain. Sent an email to the owner of the company looking for a gasket and he kindly took down my information and sent me a pair of gaskets free of charge. Customer service has me sold. :--))

B

Do you still unscrewing the valve?

I've been using the Fumoto for over a decade on multiple vehicles in the family both with the safety clip and without. No issues. Had one that started dripping shortly after it was installed 8 years or so ago. E-mailed them and they sent me a new one free of charge and it was fine ever since.

Wouldn't have a vehicle without one now.

It sucks that Fumoto doesn't have a Canadian distributor it seems.

Amazon charges a chunky premium.

Fumoto's online store wants $122 USD shipped, and it may get nailed for customs.

EZ does have Canadian distribution and the total is $150 CAD before taxes.

Guess I'm going EZ this time, and I'll add it to my Fumoto, that's still solid after more than a decade. I have one of those Fram drain things, that you pull back and twist to lock open... It always weeped a little and the mechanism to hold it open gets full of junk and you have to fight it.

So the EZ is replacing that thing. Shame the Fumoto stuff on Amazon.ca is $200 CAD. Doing dirty conversion it's $170 CAD from the US...

Hmm... The EZ drains have threaded end caps to keep them clean and add a second seal.

Choices...

I use fumoto on most of my cars. When I had the GTX I tried an ez drain and it leaked. The o ring would not seal to the oil pan. I switched to fumoto and all was fine. I think the ez drain is a good product but my first try with one was bad so I am sticking with fumoto.

The way vehicles oil pans are made today I suspect sales have raised quite a bit on these drains, I may put one on an old tractor with a hose on it due to drain location?

Don't have to tell anyone here because we all know already but my neighbors on both sides and a friend of mines car all had the plug stripped out by oil shops in the last couple yrs. It was two different cities and 3 different shops doing their work not the same one too. Dealers mechanic told one the pans simply aren't made with a good steel nut inside like they used to be. Most oil pans that strip today are all aluminum or plastic with aluminum or light grade metal nut inside and they're getting stripped left/right. Many pans are being left too loose because people are scared they'll strip it so they leak when the cars leave the shops. I saw one left loose and leaking, my neighbors just a year or so before they stripped his pan out really good. He said when it leaked he wasn't returning to them but' idk if same shop stripped his or not? Its very doubtful he did so probably 4 shops here fwiw?

My old friend in another city had to step his plug up two sizes because they stripped his aluminum pan out not once but "twice". Ford dealership stripped it the second time. He traded the car in over it all cause he didn't want to pay well over a grand for a new pan install when they did it again, he knew they eventually would.
Personally I've always changed my own oil. Actually since I was about 9 on old mini bikes I had. With no dad around I went to "live and learn" school every day. Yes' I walked up hill both ways too and from..lol
Then there was the lady who left Wally in her Honda they forgot to put her oil in. Best of luck proving these shops done the damage especially on an older vehicle.

fwiw?
If one actually includes the time it takes to retrieve the tool to remove/install a regular drain plug these drains probably take less time to change oil. With a tool already in hand is there a substantial difference, you must include your R/R time not just drain time only, anyone know this? Surely flipping a switch is faster than spinning a wrench several times thats just a given but is it enough to complete the entire task faster?
We don't know this answer without seeing test times comparing everything involved?
Members could tests the entire procedure by simply opening this drain vs removing it like a standard oil plug and using a stop watch both times?
It could be a bit faster to R/R this larger drain than a standard plug being easier to grasp/turn with oily fingers than a small plug is I mean? Just by a few seconds maybe, just say'n if ones doing real testing it could be considered a tad easier to grasp?

So' does anyone have one installed on an easy reach vehicle to test on or have an extra oil pan laying around for a test setup? They could try both ways here just to check drain times then we'll know? Sorry' not throwing stones, I'm just really curious if its faster after reading the posts saying it drains out so slow.
If I do buy one its for the convenience of it not for speed anyway but' is it really that slow?

Back