Radiator Hose, Dayco vs Gates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Dayco and Gates, both are good and I never had a problem with either one. I have noticed the Dayco's are a bit thicker.

Last edited:
They are all no good if the yahoo at the parts store puts a hole in it too far down to hang it. Real parts stores (few and far between these days) use clips to hang them.

I roll with Gates when I can. Local NAPA up the street stocks Gates.

The Gates top radiator just does not fit perfectly on a 22RE engine. The diameter is just slightly too big which causes a slightly loose fit. On the other hand, I have read posts from other owners of the 22RE engine that the Dayco fits better than Gates. I had cold leak problems with both ends of the Gates hose, but finally got that sorted.

Looks like I spoke too soon! The Dayco hose is too short. Upon driving the car for a day, it's clear that the hose is being pulled off. Motor mounts are fine.
This hose was fully seated when installed, and look at it after being driven for 25 miles:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gates is much better.

Last year when I bought a new upper radiator hose for my old 1999 Deville, I first bought a Dayco hose from AAP. However, that hose felt stiff and seemed as if it was sitting for a while. I returned it and bought a Gates hose from Amazon. MUCH better. It was way more pliable and smelled like rubber. I think the Gates was also made recently.

The top is the Dayco hose and the bottom is the Gates hose. Might be hard to see, but the Gates hose is thicker and "fresh"

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by A_User55555
Gates is much better.

Last year when I bought a new upper radiator hose for my old 1999 Deville, I first bought a Dayco hose from AAP. However, that hose felt stiff and seemed as if it was sitting for a while. I returned it and bought a Gates hose from Amazon. MUCH better. It was way more pliable and smelled like rubber. I think the Gates was also made recently.

The top is the Dayco hose and the bottom is the Gates hose. Might be hard to see, but the Gates hose is thicker and "fresh"

I've always liked gates quality much more than the rest. But one thing to remember, Amazon (In my experience) moves a lot of stock! So of course they'd have something that was the most fresh. Most things I get from them are very new. But I still vote for gates.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
I used a Dayco heater hose, and the new hose comes with two holes in it already:
]

wow that's insane! idiots doing that! what's next? Holes in new tires too?! you know because it was more convenient to stock that way..
crackmeup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back