Dont run out of gas in death valley!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure our price in Vancouver BC is about 5 bucks per gallon.
And that's only for regular, not premium.
Maybe a little more
cry.gif

I found a photo of what the place currently looks like now. It's called Furnace Creek Fuel and Auto Service. This seems to be when they first rebranded and were still using the blue Chevron numbers.

[Linked Image]

I guess they managed to get some numbers that matched their new color scheme.

[Linked Image]

It's kind of interesting. The old Furnace Creek Resort (now the Oasis at Death Valley), the gas station, and the other services at Furnace Creek are privately owned inholdings owned by Xanterra. As such they're not subject to any National Park Service regulation. Typically they have to charge about what it costs in the surrounding areas. Since it's private they're not subject to the same regulation like gas stations in other national parks.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Maybe a little more
cry.gif

As noted earlier, it's $6.13 Cdn per US gallon (for regular) in Victoria.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
What is "diesel nr.2"? A summer diesel or a diesel of lesser quality?

Yes, #2 is summer diesel

#1 is winter diesel

In the 80's around the Midwest, Union Oil, ("Union 76" stations), only sold Diesel #1 all year long. It was all I ever burned in my VW Diesel.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Last time I was in Death Valley (2016), I saw 2 Tesla's. They didn't care about gas prices.

Yes biting their nails trying to find a decent charger.. iWith a 110V outlet you 3 miles for every hour of charge.

Last time I was in Death Valley (2016), I saw 2 Tesla's. They didn't care about gas prices.

Last time I was out that way...

Let's just say I'd like to see a Tesla's range at my average speed.

I was at that same gas station in 2008 and thought the prices were high then! Same station, same view 11 years earlier.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by dishdude
I was at that same gas station in 2008 and thought the prices were high then!

Their prices are high because it's an out of the way place. And it most likely costs them far more to get fuel delivered to them. Ever been to a Denny's or McDonald's in Honolulu? Or buy a gallon of milk there?

It's much the same in areas of Alaska.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/prices-in-Nome-Alaska/td-p/179756

It is from anchorage Daily News: "There are plentiful, painful reminders all over this Being Sea coastal community. At the grocery store, it's $39.25 for a 12-roll package of paper towels. Toilet paper costs $37.85 for a 36-roll package.

Want a 2-liter bottle of Diet Pepsi? It's on sale this week for $4.49. At a restaurant, breakfast for one will run about $16. And the price for a gallon of gas is well above the national average, at $5.96 a gallon.

If there's any good news for the 3,500 residents of Nome, it's that gas is cheap compared to what it could have been. One of the two main fuel suppliers for Nome didn't have the last barge arrive before the Bering Sea froze for the winter. Bonanza Fuel considered flying in fuel from Anchorage, but the cost would have made gas prices jump to $9 or $10 a gallon."

Originally Posted by madRiver
Yes biting their nails trying to find a decent charger.. iWith a 110V outlet you 3 miles for every hour of charge.

No, with a Tesla (250 miles range), you simply charge at home first, or at a SuperCharger high voltage, high amp station (not 120v), and THEN go into Death Valley, THEN drive on through to Vegas for more SuperCharger action, or drive back home and/or to a Supercharger station to the west or south. Many RV parks have 240v outlets as well.

Again, the map shows SuperCharger stations:

superchargerDeathValley.JPG

I would wonder how the heat would affect battery range. The map shown above can be misleading. That is quite some distance from those chargers to Death Valley.

Any picture of Death Valley should include the customary animal skull on the ground.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would wonder how the heat would affect battery range. The map shown above can be misleading. That is quite some distance from those chargers to Death Valley.

It's a 250 mile round trip from Lone Pine to Badwater, 280 miles from Ridgecrest or Las Vegas. The routes from any of the closest superchargers that would allow you to see at least the major points of interest are all over 300 miles.

What is the range in the heat with the air conditioner on full?

Ed

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Maybe a little more
cry.gif

As noted earlier, it's $6.13 Cdn per US gallon (for regular) in Victoria.

cry.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by dishdude
I was at that same gas station in 2008 and thought the prices were high then!

Their prices are high because it's an out of the way place. And it most likely costs them far more to get fuel delivered to them. Ever been to a Denny's or McDonald's in Honolulu? Or buy a gallon of milk there?

I ate at a Denny's in Maui once. Prices were comparable. It's not that far out of the way that their prices reflect their transportation costs.

Originally Posted by edhackett
Advice: Never visit Death Valley in the summer. There is that 'winter' season you know. Thats when I went, and it was perfect weather.

Originally Posted by edhackett
Advice: Never visit Death Valley in the summer. There is that 'winter' season you know. Thats when I went, and it was perfect weather.

Eh, it's usually hotter in Phoenix than Death Valley, but they sometimes get higher highs.

Nothing to be afraid of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back