Did I make a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a set of used tires for my truck, and of course, the FIRST ****ING TIME I DRIVE IT I picked up a screw in one of the fronts. I pulled the screw out and it seemed OK (I didn't feel or hear any air coming out), but I was worried about a leak (I can't afford another tire right now) so I put in a can of Slime tire sealant. I deflated the tire, put in the sealant, and inflated the tire. So far, I've driven about 20 miles, and it seems OK, but I'm wondering if it's safe to leave the Slime in there. The Slime website says up to 2 years is OK but I'm interested in your opinions, not Slime's. Thank you for any input. This is the product I used: https://www.slime.com/us/products/bike/sealants/thru-core.php

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
You should have put some soapy water on the hole and checked if it was leaking. That is the 99% sure way to see if it is leaking. You may have just went through the rubber.

As much as I HATE slime, you might as well keep in it at this point.

Slime is corrosive to rims, if you have ever broken down a wheel with it in there for many years it causes pitting. In some EXTREME cases even eats the rim away to the point of it leaking.

The photo appears to show the screw penetraing at a very shallow angle, near the sidewall corner of the tire. Fortunatly, (depending on wear pattern) that is likely the thickest part of the tread of that tire. The tires inner wall which holds the air is likely untouched by the screw. The slime was not necessary, but there in no need to stress. Drive on with confidence and don't give it another thought.

It's lousy to pick up a nail or screw....It's torturous to have to resort to something as unscientific as tire slime as well.

The bright side? You bought used tires so if you loose anything, you won't loose as much.

You knew that.

You really paid for that tire and the charge for mounting someone else's junk?

The upside is it will leak slowly if it does at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
You really paid for that tire and the charge for mounting someone else's junk?

The upside is it will leak slowly if it does at all.

I'm sure that an $800 set of BFG AT KO2s is better than my $80 set of used tires, just like a brand new Silverado is probably better in some way than my 1995 Silverado, but that's not the point. I'm selling my truck soon probably anyway.

Originally Posted by tc1446
The guy bought what he could afford. Don't knock him for it!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Drive on brother! Even if the slime does wheel damage, a wheel shouldn't cost that much. And I have bought used tires for cars that, if I had bought new, the value of the tires would have exceeded the value of the whole car.

You're fine. I would have used an external plug (a BITOG
28.gif
in its own right) if I had a leak from a screw. The other guy saying you may not have gotten down to air makes sense too.

I've cured a slow leaker with fix-a-flat because the potential upsides really outdid any downs.

I have used Slime on lawn tractors. It is junk. It rusts the inside of the rim very badly. Next time, use a plug, it's better and cheaper. I would stay of the road during rain, that tire is a candidate for hydroplaning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back