Mercede both headlamp not functioning at same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 e350 factory xenon headlamp

Recently I replaced driver side headlamp +controls module due to moisture. After headlight come on "Active curve" doesn't fiction at same time as before it did. Remember passages side have not been replaced only driver side.

Passenger side active light come on first than after 1 second driver side active light come on.

What I want is I want them to act at same Time movement. Do I need to program the headlamps or something?

Sounds like the other ballast is going bad. I'm assuming they bulbs are D2S hid bulbs? If so the non-replaced bulb will take longer to warm up.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Sounds like the other ballast is going bad. I'm assuming they bulbs are D2S hid bulbs? If so the non-replaced bulb will take longer to warm up.

He's talking about the Active headlights that swivel as the steering wheel turns, or as you go up/down hills. There's a startup sequence every time the car is started moving the headlights in unison as a test of operation. It sounds like the movement is no longer in unison...don't know the answer, just clarifying to help OP get better responses.

Last edited:
After both headlamps are lit do they both turn in unison with the steering wheel? If so then I'm with 97prizm. New bulb lights off faster and consequently performs the test function ahead of the older bulb. You should really replace those bulbs in pairs anyways because it throws of a slightly different hue from the old bulb and more importantly it's days are probably numbered as well.

If the lamps don't turn in unison with the steering wheel then you may need to have programming performed.

Last edited:
Hello everyone ,

I have these lights bulbs and I bought them on 10-16-2018.

Yes they do both turn in unison with the steering wheel.
When I bought the new headlamp on driver side it came with the new light bulb and I need to change them out to the bulbs I bought on 2018.

Maybe I need to program them so they can fiction at same sequence whenever i startups the car.

Stand outside the car and watch while someone turns the switch on (or, in the dark, be parked near a wall and watch the reflection when you turn the switch on). Do both bulbs light up at the same time?

The others point out that they won't start moving and do the self test which turns the dash light out until after the bulb has started up.

I went to the Mercedes dealership for headlight programming and he told me it not communicating with the headlamps and he's blaming on the aftermarket headlight. I called this bs because headlamp is Hella brand and control module I ordered from eBay. The headlight light up at same time my only concern is "self test" don't do sequence at the same time. Maybe I need to replace passenger side headlight with control module.

Just picked up the car after they charge me 1 hour diagnostic fees for headlight and ended up paying $140.
Felt like they didn't know what they was doing ended up telling me that I need to buy the mercede part only. Also told me that scan tool they was using did not read from headlight and I called this bs. I'm going to take it to independent mercede shop.

Ask Mr. ebay.

You're finding that a knockoff part isn't just like the original. Of course it isn't.

And that the dealer won't support it. Of course they won't.

If it's really bugging you that they don't start at the same time, get two the same.

Did you buy a knockoff part or genuine? Do these parts need to be coded to the vehicle? Did you do so?

I bought this controls module from eBay with no brand name only said HID haven.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352035667948

I took it to independent shop and he hook up the computer to my port. Then he show me that driver side headlight is not communicating. Only showing passenger side on his computer. Any advice? maybe I need to buy hella control module? Who make mercede control module? I found hella module for $180 and mercede control module is $600 re-manufactures online from mbdirect.com.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Ask Mr. ebay.

You're finding that a knockoff part isn't just like the original. Of course it isn't.

And that the dealer won't support it. Of course they won't.

If it's really bugging you that they don't start at the same time, get two the same.

I'm going to ask the eBay seller.

Originally Posted by Rohan
I bought this controls module from eBay with no brand name only said HID haven.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F352035667948

I took it to independent shop and he hook up the computer to my port. Then he show me that driver side headlight is not communicating. Only showing passenger side on his computer. Any advice? maybe I need to buy hella control module? Who make mercede control module? I found hella module for $180 and mercede control module is $600 re-manufactures online from mbdirect.com.

Sounds like you have a bad module. The Seller offers a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back