2018 Forester, PP 0W20 SN+, 5,970 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, first UOA on mom's "new" Forester. All prior changes (3k, 9k, 14.5k, and 20k) were done at dealer with Subaru 0W20 & BCODs, this run was PP 0W20 bottled in January 2019, and a Napa Gold 7055. This run was about 70% city, 30% highway with about a 1500 mile road trip to the Biltmore and back to NWI to wrap up this interval. I told her if it was my Forester and out of warranty, no way would I even think about draining something that looked this good before 10k!
smile.gif

PP 0W20 UOA Forester.PNG

I have had her checking at every other fill-up, just because of the early FA/FB horror stories. To date, she has not added any oil in the 26k+ miles, and the oil level has always stayed within about 1/8" of the full mark. Considering the flash point was 410*F, I'm guessing very little of the oil level is fuel, since this is one of the last non-DI FB25s.

BTW, Idemitsu Eco Medalist 0W20 and another Napa Gold 7055 went on, so the next UOA should see significantly boosted moly numbers.

My son's 2018 Forrester (CVT) isn't using any oil either running Subaru 0W20. Subaru seems to have quietly fixed the FB25 oil consumption issue, my guess is tighter rings.

Originally Posted by va2001ss
My son's 2018 Forrester (CVT) isn't using any oil either running Subaru 0W20. Subaru seems to have quietly fixed the FB25 oil consumption issue, my guess is tighter rings.

If they'd really stepped up to it sooner and been better to their customers on their warranties I'd probably had a Forester in my driveway right now.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by va2001ss

If they'd really stepped up to it sooner and been better to their customers on their warranties I'd probably had a Forester in my driveway right now.

Just like the EJ25 with head gasket issues, seems like this will be a good way to swoop up a good used car that needs some work.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I have had her checking at every other fill-up, just because of the early FA/FB horror stories. To date, she has not added any oil in the 26k+ miles, and the oil level has always stayed within about 1/8" of the full mark. Considering the flash point was 410*F, I'm guessing very little of the oil level is fuel, since this is one of the last non-DI FB25s.

BTW, Idemitsu Eco Medalist 0W20 and another Napa Gold 7055 went on, so the next UOA should see significantly boosted moly numbers.

My FA20DIT engine in my 2015 Forester XT has never dropped in oil level in all my OCIs.

I think it was mostly manual transmission and early FB25 engines that were affected.

I'm definitely doing 10K OCIs on my 2018 Forester. The engine is just too easy on oil.

EDIT: Only 6k miles on my Forester but also no signs of oil level drop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by badtlc
I'm definitely doing 10K OCIs on my 2018 Forester. The engine is just too easy on oil.

EDIT: Only 6k miles on my Forester but also no signs of oil level drop.

Once I'm passed warranty, it'll be 10K oil changes on 0w-40 for me!

Originally Posted by Miller88

Once I'm passed warranty, it'll be 10K oil changes on 0w-40 for me!

I have that same itch. For now, I'm just going to run Mobil 1 5W-30.

Necro post- will be putting up a new UOA in a little while from this vehicle with some RGT 0W20. Will be interesting to see how the reports compare, as the mileage is definitely unaffected by this "truck" oil. Mom keeps track with the dash calculator (I know, it's not 100% accurate but it is a reference) and has been averaging 36.2-37.8 mpg since she does mostly highway driving and is gentle on the go pedal. I'm currently trying to talk her into a CVT fluid change and I'm going to stick some Gear 300 in the diffs to wash out the factory scruff also.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Necro post- will be putting up a new UOA in a little while from this vehicle with some RGT 0W20. Will be interesting to see how the reports compare, as the mileage is definitely unaffected by this "truck" oil. Mom keeps track with the dash calculator (I know, it's not 100% accurate but it is a reference) and has been averaging 36.2-37.8 mpg since she does mostly highway driving and is gentle on the go pedal. I'm currently trying to talk her into a CVT fluid change and I'm going to stick some Gear 300 in the diffs to wash out the factory scruff also.

I'm curious to see the results. I decided to try RGT in my 2018 Limited Outback 2.5L and it is much quieter and smoother than Mobil 1 AFE that I usually have used in the past. Also during my last ~6000 mile OCI with AFE somewhere between a half to whole quart of oil was consumed. I have used Mobil 1 EP in this engine as well with better results so I don't intend on using AFE again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back