The Fusion was rear ended yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that service shop recommended by your insurance company? If that's so, I'd already be on the phone with the insurance company to advise them that the repair place has provided severely sub-par repair work, and that you believe your car has not yet been made whole. Send them that picture as proof.

There's no way I would accept work that poor.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Was that service shop recommended by your insurance company? If that's so, I'd already be on the phone with the insurance company to advise them that the repair place has provided severely sub-par repair work, and that you believe your car has not yet been made whole. Send them that picture as proof.

The issue being is by signing the release and driving off he has accepted it........

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by SirTanon

The issue being is by signing the release and driving off he has accepted it........

True, but it can also be argued that because of its location, this was an oversight.

Either way, if this was a repair shop recommended, or even selected by his insurance carrier, bringing it to their attention would allow for some leverage. No reputable insurance company wants to deal with a repair shop that performs shoddy work, if only from a liability standpoint. If they are aware of the poor quality of work performed in this case, they might be inclined to apply pressure on the shop to make it right or else potentially lose future business.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Originally Posted by JTK
For an 11yr/old Fusion, that trunk pan looks fine to me. I couldn't see having it all cut out and replaced at this point.

I assume that charcoal box had to be replaced and couldn't be repaired?

The body shop got the full check to replace EVERYTHING. It's supposed to look brand new.

If they wanna write a check to him for the value of replacing the trunk pan, and he agrees, then fine....

I kind of assumed this is what happened in the first place.. At least I would hope so.

I will note: he TOLD the repair guy he didn't care what it looked like. Personally, I would do the same: pop the dent out as much as possible, seal the crack, spray on some paint so it doesn't rust, and pocket the extra cash.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
I will note: he TOLD the repair guy he didn't care what it looked like. Personally, I would do the same: pop the dent out as much as possible, seal the crack, spray on some paint so it doesn't rust, and pocket the extra cash.

You got it! That is exactly what I did. This is a 2008 with 142K on it. I don't need the underside to look pretty. It doesn't leak, and is solid. The insurance company totalled the car, I bought it back and had it fixed how I wanted it fixed. I wasn't going to have the entire underbody pan replaced on that old of a car if I didn't have to. In the end, I pocketed $1700 by having it done that way. I COULD have had it totally replaced, but I saw no point. In other words, I am happy, and have $1700 extra in my savings account. A win win in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
For an 11yr/old Fusion, that trunk pan looks fine to me. I couldn't see having it all cut out and replaced at this point.

I assume that charcoal box had to be replaced and couldn't be repaired?

Yeah they had to get a new one. Old one was too messed up.

Originally Posted by ClutchDisc
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

You got it! That is exactly what I did. This is a 2008 with 142K on it. I don't need the underside to look pretty. It doesn't leak, and is solid. The insurance company totalled the car, I bought it back and had it fixed how I wanted it fixed. I wasn't going to have the entire underbody pan replaced on that old of a car if I didn't have to. In the end, I pocketed $1700 by having it done that way. I COULD have had it totally replaced, but I saw no point. In other words, I am happy, and have $1700 extra in my savings account. A win win in my opinion.

A classic example about how the OP didn't provide the full story.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back