Costco Gas - Very much worth the membership cost.

Originally Posted by jhellwig
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by JC1

I figured that was the location. Too many Lexus/Toyota drivers who can't drive properly In good weather clogging up that parking lot. At least they swtiched directions to get into the pumps. It's brutal there during daylight hours. Bring yourself a Jerry can to avoid having to go there that often.

I'm one of those Toyota guys who fills up opposite to the fuel door, I don't feel like fighting for pole position at the local Costco. At least in California, Costco wants people to fill up on either side.

Never understood why more gas stations don't use extra long hoses. Besides Costco I've seen them at Safeway gas stations. Possibly at other high volume gas stations like Sam's Club.

There used to be longer hoses on the old two hose mechanical pumps when a lot of cars had the gas cap behind the liscense plate. The hoses always laid on the ground out in the driveway where you could run them over if you got too close to the pump.

When did the start using lines that retracted? I've noticed that a lot of the shorter hoses omit that feature, but all of these long ones have those that automatically pull in the hose if the handle is placed back on the pump.

My parents drive a Buick Apollo that had the fuel cap behind the rear license plate. However, if was fairly easy to park it with the rear end close to the pump.

The Costco near me, which I pass early every morning on my way to work, has premium at .40/gallon less than Exxon and .71 less than Shell. (Data from GasBuddy.com) If I gas up every 12 days, that would be a savings of some 4.50 each time, or over $120 a year . . . more than twice the Costco membership fee (yes?). And I pass by the station and store just as they open at 6 am. Hmmm . . .

Originally Posted by 69GTX
Originally Posted by JerryBob
I am a Costco member, but unfortunately they only have 85 and 91 octane here. My cars call for 87.

I have the same issue at BJ's where they only have 87 and 93....and my car needs 91. Simple solution. I mix approximately half and half or tad stronger on the 93.

Yours is approx 3 gal 91 to every 7 gal 85.....net 87.

I've heard this can be a good way to save a little per fillup. I have a 15.8 gallon tank, and the BMW manual recommends 91; would, say, 4 gal. of 87 and 11 of 93 yield 91?

You guys have a problem I wouldn't mind having. Some of the cars I'm thinking of getting have a manufacturer recommended 93 AKI fuel listed. Can't find that around here. What I can occasionally find are some places selling 100 octane street legal racing fuel. One place I know uses that and a blending pump to make 98/96/94. They have 91 on a separate pump. If I needed 93 I'd probably fill with 2/3 94 and 1/3 91, although getting super precise isn't going to be easy. Not sure when this was taken, but I think fuel prices have spiked.

[Linked Image]

I do recall seeing 92 AKI in Washington state.

My Costco is selling premium at $2.57/gal. That alone is almost .40/gal. better than Exxon.

This page, https://www.sunocoracefuels.com/tech-article/mixing-fuels-calculating-octane, suggests that I could do even better over the course of a year by mixing some 87 with the 93 for an AKI of 91, which is what the BMW manual recommends -- not 93. If I were to mix, say, 3.5 gallons of 87 and 11 of 93 (the tank holds 15.8, by the way), using Costco's prices on GasBuddy today, I would save about 6.00 per fillup over Exxon's premium price today for 14.5 gallons.

That multiplied by, say, 30 fillups during a year would pay for the Costco membership and leave more than $100 over, and I would not be using a lower octane than recommended.

The Costco by me is like a circus. I witnessed an accident last month there. The cars are also backed up at the pump and I would imagine it take 20-30 minutes to fill up. My time is worth more than the $100 savings a year.

It does get a little crazy. I went to Costco to fill up during lunch (also got lunch there) but I saw someone who apparently got cut off. It was with a 3-deep setup where the middle car vacated, and one driver just took off with another car already in line ahead. The driver who got cut off wouldn't stop honking and drove into the middle lane and wouldn't leave.

I go before work at 6:00 a.m...otherwise the hassle of the circus isn't worth the savings to me either.

For us, they moved the Costco way the heck out of the way. As it was before, the only time I got very near the old Costco was when I needed the 24 H Shell because it was way later than even my usual time, and by then Costco was certainly closed. I've never actually laid eyes on the new Costco here.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
I am a Costco member, but unfortunately they only have 85 and 91 octane here. My cars call for 87.

You can use 85 octane due to the higher elevation.

Originally Posted by Willclark
The Costco by me is like a circus. I witnessed an accident last month there. The cars are also backed up at the pump and I would imagine it take 20-30 minutes to fill up. My time is worth more than the $100 savings a year.

Even being the 8th car in line it only takes 10 minutes to get a pump. When I go to Costco I go before or after work I can spear 10 minutes once a week or two.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Willclark

Even being the 8th car in line it only takes 10 minutes to get a pump. When I go to Costco I go before or after work I can spear 10 minutes once a week or two.

I guess this really depends on the location. There have been times the one I went to was a circus (say mid day on a Saturday), but 90% of the time it was max 2-3 minute wait for a pump. I typically went when I was at 1/4 tank so I could bail out if the line was too long. The one by me if you get there right around opening time there was never a wait or even mid day during the work week.

Got rid of the Mercedes (totaled in a minor accident - no airbags deployed) and back into a diesel, unfortunately Costco in Georgia doesn't do diesel so no more Costco gas for me.

Originally Posted by dave1251

With the strange times I go to fill up, I can't handle waiting 10 seconds.
wink.gif

I will drive 70 miles round TRIP. Diesel $2.20 a GALLON To $2.75 a gallon in my woods.
I'll fill three five gallons yellow cans, just to save the MILES
smile.gif
and TRIPS
smile.gif

MPG 44.9
smile.gif
:):):)

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
I luv Costco gas; We have two stores within 6mile radius; one is always cheaper than another one; needless to say, the cheapest one is about .30-.40c cheaper than a major counterpart

Using Costco fuel exclusively -- currently seeing discounts of between 20 to 30 cents per gallon as compared to other gas stations in my area. On my current schedule, I usually hit it at about 1pm most weekdays, so there's no waiting lines to speak of. Win/win.

Reactions: JC1
When I found out you don't need a membership to go to Costco for gas... That's when I started going.

It's the cheapest ON CARD GAS by about 7-12 cents on the regular.

Cash (if I put another cheapie station's cash price against Costco because Costco is only card) it's a toss-up...

When I found out you don't need a membership to go to Costco for gas... That's when I started going.

It's the cheapest ON CARD GAS by about 7-12 cents on the regular.

Cash (if I put another cheapie station's cash price against Costco because Costco is only card) it's a toss-up...
I thought you do? And it also says on their website?

Back